It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

microsoft and internet take over!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by CPYKOmega
I can't stress this enough.

TURN OFF YOUR AUTOMATIC UPDATES PLEASE!

This is what messes up your computer I can almost 100% guaruntee it. I haven't installed any updates for years. I do not even have an anti virus installed because I am smart about what I download.

Turning off automatic updates, disabling your windows firewall (find a free firewall online I don't suggest not having a firewall) and you will not have any more problems.

Also please get rid of windows vista it is a horrible operating system.

edit on 1-24-2011 by CPYKOmega because: (no reason given)

In 25 years, I've only had windows update crash my computer twice. And both times were easily remedied. I keep all the latest critical updates on my machine. However, I agree that they should not be done automatically. Set it to notify you of new updates, but let you choose when to download and install.

If you're running Windows without an AV, you're asking for trouble. And you're probably already infected with malware and don't know it.

There isn't a thing wrong with Windows firewall. Most aftermarket firewalls are what cause problems sooner or later. That's not to say there aren't some goods ones out there though.

No argument on Vista. Vista is crapware plain and simple. But it can be made to run reasonably well if you know how.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by HooHaa

Seriously? WTF! So I and you have to continually spend money to stay connected. That's not even talking about the hundreds I spend weekly to keep my phone,cable and internet connection on. Talk about your black mail!

You spend hundreds WEEKLY on phone, cable and internet? I, and everyone I know, spends 100 max MONTHLY. Perhaps you need to spend a few bucks on someone to fix up your pc permanently, cause if you are paying that much for your services, you obviously are easy to hoodwink.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
HooHaa- You've been asked several times what model number laptop... you're more than welcome to sit around and moan but when people are offering help and you refuse it, such makes you come off as snobbish and with an agenda. And mind you, I mean no offense towards you personally but if you're seriously need help with it and not just bashing Microsoft there are ways to get the drivers you need and to do that we need model number.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
only thing I ever really used my pc for was playing games. I could care less about vista/windows7 and thier fancy desktop fx. but after it became clear MS forced people to upgrade for directx10, I gave up on the whole scam.
dl'ed ubuntu, but haven't got around to trying it out yet.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Tell me the model and make of ur laptop and ill get ur driver link im a pc tec

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by HooHaa

I would like to try Linux but as Ive been told there is a learning curve and I would probably still be stuck where I'm at. I have scoured the web including torrent files and Nada! This is ridiculous! If I or anyone purchases a computer. We should have the God given right to run whatever OS we want. Because I don't install a certain OS then I'm screwed?

Again this is a conspiracy! If any of you have run MS windows then you know they infiltrate your system and usage more and more. I kid you not I swear they not only know your web browsing, emails and key strokes, but they can also turn on your web cam if your PC comes with one.

So after hours of trying to get my laptop to work. It appears that I'm going to have to pony up and BUY another MS product.

THNX for all your help and comments.. Be sure to turn off your web cams or at least cover them when not needed.

Well youve been told BS then.
Like I said..
even my PC illiterate family use Ubuntu now. No problems.
Quit letting others feed you BS>

So, you're just going to give and and buy more M$ crap?

Whatever, I tried.

enjoy being taken advantage of.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
re drivers:

driverpacks.net...

if that doesn't work google/download unknown devices/unknown device identifier
to determine name and model of device then google by name,model and OS
after you have got all your drivers installed back 'em up there are tons of freeware programs out there for all sorts of things

Imaging has already been mentioned, why take hours when with an image you can restore in 10-20 min.

edit on 25-1-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Nah man. I am a genius with computers. Amateur Hacker.. etc etc. I have used them since I was 7 years old. I use malwarebytes to get rid of malware. I just don't have any anti virus installed, because all of them take up way too much ram.

I do use anti virus but it is an online scanner nothing is ever installed permanently, but I only do this once a month.

I have my windows XP tweaked so that as little as 19 processes are only running at one time leaving me with 1.7 gigs of ram free out of my 2 gigs if i'm not running any games or firefox.

Thanks for the tips though.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Namaste1001
All I have to say is: Once you go Mac you'll never go back.

Lol, I was just going to say that about Linux. Downside: distro-hopping can become a bit of an obsession...

reply to post by HooHaa

OP - Linux is a global term for the many distributions that you can choose from. Most are not hard to use and some are very simple for any person to transition away from Windows to use. I use Linux Mint, it's an "Ubuntu variant" of which there are a ton. Download one onto a USB or a CD and and try it out. You might surprise yourself. If not willing to try new options - then the rant is a rant, is just a rant... I guess...

edit on 25-1-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by CPYKOmega

I think alot of us geeks came out in this thread. Now we know who some of us are.

If I ever run across something I can't figure out, it's nice to know there are some members on here who may be even geekier than I am to hit up for suggestions.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
haha

I pride myself on my geekdom lol.

There is a good website that shows you how to edit your services in microsoft.

This can free a heck of a lot of ram.

www.blackviper.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
If you have a newer laptop there probably are no XP drivers out there as they wouldn't have made em. Go buy a copy of vista or windows 7 or download it off a bit torrent site.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Namaste1001

Have to agree... I like not spending all of Sunday morning trying to get my computer free of the latest virus and able to actually network again...

Mac all the way. Costs more, but there's a reason.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I couldn't tell you the last time I had a virus in windows. It's a very very rare thing for me. Having said that, though. I'm really wanting a macbook.

I hope mac's never get the lions share of the market, because if they do, viruses will start showing up on them too.
For now at least, malware is written for Windoze machines.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by HooHaa

Want a small piece of advice? Get rid of Windows 7, every port is open by default. XP was the best, if you love Bill Gates and wish to provide Microsoft with a few more hundred dollars, but don't just format, erase the drive with D-Ban. Gets rid of everything. Then install Linux. Use it for a week, get used to it, you will never go back.
distrowatch.com...

<< 1   >>

join