It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police fear 'war on cops'

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:
MBF

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
There are a lot of good cops out there and there are a lot of bad cops out there. The question is which are in the majority where you are. People tend to remember the bad ones. As a whole, it is not just the cops, but the legal system as a whole that is the problem and this is the only way people have to fight back. They have moved away from "to protect and to serve". They work for US and they have forgotten that.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I hate responding to threads involving Police Officers because I am one. It is like a second job defending my job. It breaks my heart that people think we are all corrupt and are only there to raise revenues. Sometimes it makes me want to quit my job. When I attend social events and people ask me what I do, I tend to lie. I hate the look I get when I tell them what I really do. I bust my ass and risk my life everyday trying to make the city I grew up in a better place. I've never had a complaint, and people generally like me (unless they are doing something wrong). I am currently a School Resource Officer at a High School and everyday I try to help the kids, and the community experience a better life.

What probably hurts the most is listening to some of the people on this site.The funny thing is I am a lot like most of you on here, and probably have the same view about government and the law. I will always stand against a Totalitarian government. Yet no one stops to think about that. Maybe that cop has the same views as you do. No instead they see a cop pass by and automatically think to themselves there's another corrupt, prejudice cop. Are they not in fact prejudice themselves in judging the cop without knowing them?

As for the recent killings. Yes it is part of the job. Just like when you're in the military. However that doesn't make it any less depressing. We have families too. I bet you that all the suspects involved in the shootings were not normal every day citizens that were being "harassed" by the cops. No they were hardened criminals. The scum of society. If you find yourselves happy over a criminal taking an officers life, or defending their actions I do feel sorry for you.

As for corrupt cops they for sure exist, and I am sure some defend their actions. However that is not the majority. We have had a couple of officers at my department involved in questionable activities. They were quickly investigated and fired. One was criminally charged. Our internal affairs department did their job without prejudice. But of course instead of people focusing on the positive side "police department IDENTIFIES, ARRESTS, and FIRES corrupt cop", they focus on the one bad cop, and all the sudden the whole department is corrupt. Oh well I guess we can't win for losing.

In closing if you are having an issue with a cop report them. Go through the chain of command. Eventually I would think you would find someone willing to listen and do something about it. If not, move! =) just kidding.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TorqueyThePig

Don't let it get you down brother---Not everybody feels that way.

I understand that at the end of the day, cops are just people, like the rest of us. There will be a few bad apples in the bunch, just like in the general population, but the vast majority are good people, just as the vast majority of the populace are good people.

In regards to my opening statements, and some of the other folks who are keeping cool heads, I do not feel that any vendetta-type activity is ever going to be productive, because not only does it just keep the eye-for-an-eye, revolving door going, but also in such a scenario, innocent bystanders are all so often the casualties in such unconscious behavior. So people need to work together on both sides of the coin, and evolve. Violence is not the solution to fixing our society, on any side of the coin.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TorqueyThePig
I hate responding to threads involving Police Officers because I am one. It is like a second job defending my job. It breaks my heart that people think we are all corrupt and are only there to raise revenues. Sometimes it makes me want to quit my job. When I attend social events and people ask me what I do, I tend to lie. I hate the look I get when I tell them what I really do. I bust my ass and risk my life everyday trying to make the city I grew up in a better place. I've never had a complaint, and people generally like me (unless they are doing something wrong). I am currently a School Resource Officer at a High School and everyday I try to help the kids, and the community experience a better life.

What probably hurts the most is listening to some of the people on this site.The funny thing is I am a lot like most of you on here, and probably have the same view about government and the law. I will always stand against a Totalitarian government. Yet no one stops to think about that. Maybe that cop has the same views as you do. No instead they see a cop pass by and automatically think to themselves there's another corrupt, prejudice cop. Are they not in fact prejudice themselves in judging the cop without knowing them?

As for the recent killings. Yes it is part of the job. Just like when you're in the military. However that doesn't make it any less depressing. We have families too. I bet you that all the suspects involved in the shootings were not normal every day citizens that were being "harassed" by the cops. No they were hardened criminals. The scum of society. If you find yourselves happy over a criminal taking an officers life, or defending their actions I do feel sorry for you.

As for corrupt cops they for sure exist, and I am sure some defend their actions. However that is not the majority. We have had a couple of officers at my department involved in questionable activities. They were quickly investigated and fired. One was criminally charged. Our internal affairs department did their job without prejudice. But of course instead of people focusing on the positive side "police department IDENTIFIES, ARRESTS, and FIRES corrupt cop", they focus on the one bad cop, and all the sudden the whole department is corrupt. Oh well I guess we can't win for losing.

In closing if you are having an issue with a cop report them. Go through the chain of command. Eventually I would think you would find someone willing to listen and do something about it. If not, move! =) just kidding.

torquey, are you a PEACE OFFICER or A POLICY ENFORCER? you seem like a peace officer, and
imo peace officers deserve the utmost respect.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TorqueyThePig

Well amen to you...but unfortunately law enforcement is no longer based on community policing (which are the positive examples you described) and instead it is big business.

The true statistic is that only 3% of society commit crimes for personal gain, the other 97% are just good people having a bad day. The cold hard reality is that most officers of the peace view it the other way around.

Godspeed!

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I appreciate your replies guys. I am absolutely a Peace officer. But people also have to understand at times we have to be rough, aggressive, and hell, mean. Of course it should be only when the situation dictates it. We are human and make mistakes. It just seems like no one sees it from our prospective. Which everyone is guilty of, even cops.

For example a cop pulls you over for speeding or running a red light and kind of gives you an attitude. You think oh just another jerk cop. However what you don't know is that the prior day, or hell the same day we just came from a vehicle fatality which was caused by a speeder or red light runner. So yeah we may be a little on the edge. Not saying that justifies the cop having an attitude, I'm just saying there is a human factor involved.

Back on topic. I don't think there is all of the sudden now a "war on cops." This has been going on since the dawn of time. There has and always will be a "war" between good and evil (when I say evil I am talking about the suspects that are career criminals, and good the Peace Officers). Cops and robbers anyone?

However what I do think is happening is that people in general are feeding the fire that is violence against police. I mean take a look at the replies in this thread. "All cops are corrupt", "they got what they deserved", "that's what happens when you treat people the way cops do." Just as some are inclined to believe that a majority of cops are corrupt, I am inclined that a majority of people hate cops and don't care if they die. Couple those thoughts with the comments people make and we have become no longer human.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
The days when cops die is a good day...just comes to show you that when the para-military ( police ), exceed their boundaries, that the voices of the public will be heard. Not to mention the actions of the people. The para-military personnel of the elite have no concern of tazing children, beating handicap people and so forth, so why should we mourn the death of a cop? All because he died in the line of duty? What about the innocent victims that have been mortally wounded because of the cops tactics? Or how bout those whom have died because of one tazing to many? What goes around comes around~

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by FrancoUn-American
reply to post by truthseeker1984

I've been snubbed and beaten by the police one too many times to give a crap about any one in a uniform. I've never ever once been helped by the police, they have been a constant source of dismay in my area and people get what they deserve. And no the cops arent my last line of defense or arms, I have plenty of weapons and I spend plenty of time on the range with alot of bigger and badder things then a worthless police model 40 cal or 9mm
edit on 05/24/2010 by FrancoUn-American because: ahem

And why is it that you had scuffles with the police in the first place? Let me guess: you were innocent? Correct? But I won't be one to judge. I've seen plenty of cops get into scuffles that THEY initiated. As I said before, there will always be bad apples, but don't throw the baby out with the bath water. And I don't remember counting the LEO's in my area as representing the entirety of this country, or did I? I mean, I remember typing my words, hell, I even read over them. Nope. I don't remember saying that all LEO's were Boy Scouts. I'm sorry that LEO's in your area have been a constant source of dismay. That shouldn't be the case anywhere, but unfortunately, it does happen. What did you personally do about it? Did you file reports? Did you petition your local government for an investigation? Did you file a civil suit? Did you attend city hall meetings to voice your concern and opinion? Answer those questions and then come back with a response.

As far as LEO's being a last-line of defense, well, it's true. They will always be better trained, and better equipped for a potential violent situation than a citizen. You can go to the target range all you want (I go three times a week), you can own the biggest and baddest guns on Earth, but nothing compares to having the training to go through with actually shooting someone either in self defense or in an offensive situation. The good LEO's that are left should be praised for having the moral integrity to not abuse their power, for reaching out to children and adults alike (like the school resource officer that posted on this topic), and for trying to make our streets a safer place in which to raise our families and go about our business. The good ones will be the ones standing side by side with you if and when we get our chance to revolt, whether you like them or not.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
These comments are exactly why I hate my job. I however will continue to do it proudly. This will be my last post in this topic. I am going to stick with Aliens. They seem to be a lot nicer. Be safe everyone.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Lol a war on cops...,authorities kill alot more civilians than civilians kill authorities.
Need more peace officers, not police officers.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Banning firearms will amount to knives being the weapon of choice, ban them and I hope you dont like blocks of cheese, turkey, steak, etc. Oh yeah and Rocks will become the weapon of choice.

Didnt the cops just kill an innocent unarmed Grandfather in his house, over a BOTCHED drug raid? Maybe that or I dunno the manipulative, Constitution trampling, illegal actions of our Federal Government has everybody on edge? Maybe the police are stealing from the wrong people? Maybe the people thought it was the other starving, hungry, "Obama Survivors" coming to steal their food from them.

(Warning: Speculation and Conjecture! Ive never seen the "Unreal" so until I do, even YOUR alleged existence will be categorized as; Speculation and Conjecture.)

edit on 25-1-2011 by arbitraryinsanity because: Because I omitted my sanity.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I think that everyone is on edge and stressed out cause of the economy and Our Government Flexing their Muscles, its going to get alot worse mark my words, im so glad i live in the Cascade Mtns foothills away from the general public.

All i can to you all is keep an eye out, watch your back, and trust your Gut, When it says get out of the city listen to it.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
DD ... sad to read this is happening and perceived in such a way.
i have know many good peace officers and many of them are members of the Oath Keepers.
for some odd reason, when i heard of the latest St Pete (local) shootings, my first thought was ... i wonder how many of these guys are/were members of the Oath Keepers.

it is most disturbing to read about any life lost but these frequent 'attacks' really have me wondering.

came across this and wondered what the program might have to do with the apparent 'culling' going on these days.
www.washingtonpost.com...

But the operation outside Austin presaged what could prove to be one of the most far-reaching and potentially controversial uses of drones: as a new and relatively cheap surveillance tool in domestic law enforcement.
For now, the use of drones for high-risk operations is exceedingly rare.

But by 2013, the FAA expects to have formulated new rules that would allow police across the country to routinely fly lightweight, unarmed drones up to 400 feet above the ground - high enough for them to be largely invisible eyes in the sky.

Such technology could allow police to record the activities of the public below with high-resolution, infrared and thermal-imaging cameras.

One manufacturer already advertises one of its small systems as ideal for "urban monitoring." The military, often a first user of technologies that migrate to civilian life, is about to deploy a system in Afghanistan that will be able to scan an area the size of a small town. And the most sophisticated robotics use artificial intelligence to seek out and record certain kinds of suspicious activity.

personally, i find technology that helps keep us and officers safe a good thing but this is pushing the outer limits of reason.
the good peace officers i know do not prefer such 'technology' ... they prefer peace.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

I hope these officers aren't correct-If everybody starts resorting to violence, this is going to get unbelievably ugly and dangerous...

It is ALREADY ugly and dangerous for common people. Think seeing some defenseless person being savagely beaten by a bunch of heavily-armed goons in the street isn't violence?

The problem's not with violence, but monopoly of violence. When cops begin to be scared for their lives, don't worry, I'm pretty sure they'll ease down and start respecting their code of ethics.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

What about those who were wounded by the very people the police are meant to stop? There's been countless numbers of people who were killed, injured, or treated in any other crazy bad way imaginable and what happened to the posts about them? I think part of the problem is the fact that people don't like having to answer to an authority, therefore they don't like the police. Unfortunately for them, they live in a society that gives the police their operating authority and have to deal with it. If someone has a problem with the police, they first have to realize that they're going to have to go about it the right way and stop spreading this idea that it's fine to go GTA on them because they can't stand them.

From my studies in criminal theory, I've learned a few things. First, collectively, members of society give police the authority to do their jobs. Second, police were created to enforce laws that society deemed necessary for social order. Third, laws were created to protect social order and provide a way to deal with those who are deemed a problem for society, hence jails and prisons.

I'd go out on a limb and say that a lot of the people out "there" who are strongly anti-police are the kinds of people who have a problem with authority, and are likely to break laws that society has put in place.

And in closing, I don't think the "war on police" has really just started, I think it's bee going on for a while and now the MSM has decided to focus on it very heavily. Give it some time and it will fade out of focus like that sticky note on the side of the computer, just like the Afghan war, Iraq war, Swine Flu, the Gulf oil spill, the Haitian earthquake, and countless other disasters.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
The days when cops die is a good day...just comes to show you that when the para-military ( police ), exceed their boundaries, that the voices of the public will be heard. Not to mention the actions of the people. The para-military personnel of the elite have no concern of tazing children, beating handicap people and so forth, so why should we mourn the death of a cop? All because he died in the line of duty? What about the innocent victims that have been mortally wounded because of the cops tactics? Or how bout those whom have died because of one tazing to many? What goes around comes around~

If you are simply not just very bad at formulating and expressing your thoughts, there are some alarming indications of a very sick and twisted thought process here. The generalizations, assumptions, and flat-out heartless statements? The total lack of empathy or understanding? Wow. You are really missing the big picture here. Why you're this focused and full of hate is anyone's guess. I'm really sorry that I read and am even responding to this but just can't let it go. And if you think for one second that the majority of the public will voice anything resembling this, start again at the beginning of my paragraph.

If you're not just very bad at formulating and expressing your thoughs and this is how you really feel, if this is any indication of the kind of mentality that is out there, then we should all be at the very concerned, if not outright afraid. And not of the cops either.
edit on 1/25/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Don't know if this was mentioned yet, not about to read hundreds of long posts to see if it has been, but don't you guys think this is a little bit odd? False flag anyone? What better way to bring in the police state than to make people think there is a "war on cops"?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by Tharsis

You know what, cops are legally held responsible for any crimes they commit. Not only in the criminal courts, but also the civilian courts as well.

I think a lot of people had a bad experience with a cop at some point in their lives and think that all cops are like that. Well sorry some cop took your bag pal, but some cop takin' your stash does not equate to an atrocity.

A cop wasting a gang member for pulling a gun on him is not an atrocity, it's called self defense.

A cop busting a drunk driver is not an atrocity, it's enforcing the law.

Don't let ATS fool you, there are a lot of good cops out there just trying to do their jobs, and trying to make this country a safer place for everyone to live in. Sure some cops can be dicks, but hey, so can anyone else, just because they have that uniform on doesn't make them a robot, they are still human and as a human they have emotions.

Most of the time I have found if you treat a cop with respect and dignity they will return the favor.

Wow, you assume a lot, and your perspective seems to be quite myopic. When did I say they ever committed an atrocity against me?

Just because they are legally held responsible doesn't mean it will ever make it that far. Doesn't take a genius to figure that out, lol.

Just about anything is justified nowadays.

My one run in with the cops involved me unknowingly buying a stolen car part. I've never had trouble with police otherwise and didn't have any real trouble then, either.

Cops can't touch my stash. If they do, they'll bring a nice lawsuit against themselves, much to your chagrin.

edit on 1/25/11 by Tharsis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Apparently not everyone who was born into this society agrees with how it treats its citizens. Realistically, if someone wants true freedom where and how can they obtain that? I'm not talking about letting criminals run wild but good people can easily be targeted by police for the wrong reasons.The police is the largest gang in the world hands down. What would you do if gang members were harassing you or your family and doing cruel things to you and others in your community without cause? Perhaps some of the officers who were targeted had gotten away with crimes themselves and the victims of those crimes felt they had to go outside of the law to get closure. I absolutely do not condone that but just a thought. Its pretty easy to assume everyone is a criminal that the police are involved with but as most people have experienced they treat anyone they want like a criminal regardless of how you conduct yourself. Are people forgetting that the police are our peers? When they abuse their power people can choose to accept it or fight it.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I don't see it as a war on cops.

For example, in the St. Pete shooting (local area for me)...the officers were actually trying to serve a warrant, and when trying to get the guy, he holed up in the attack, shot them, and this set off a whole SWAT team action, etc.

For it to be a "war on cops", the criminals would have to be launching offensives. In at least this case, it was no different than any cornered, armed criminal who didn't want to go to jail.

My wife's work is actually right by there, and they were on lockdown for most of the day. She could hear a lot of what was going on (shots, etc.)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join