It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Distracted Walking? There's A Law For That

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Lawmakers in at least two states are looking to pull the plug on texting pedestrians and iPod-obsessed runners, claiming their diverted attention borders on disaster.

After targeting drivers who paid more attention to their phone calls and text messages than the road, lawmakers in Arkansas and New York are now looking to crack down on pedestrians equally distracted by their own electronic gadgets.

Lawmakers in both states have proposed restrictions on using cell phones and music players such as iPods by people running and walking on the street or sidewalk. The apparent message: Distracted pedestrians are dangerous.

Full Article

This is absolute insanity. The nanny state run amok. What's next, chewing gum while speedwalking?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
That video I recently saw of the lady falling in the fountain was hilarious. I think it should be legal. No different then walking and simply not paying attention.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Sure glad we have laws like these to save us from ourselves!

Pfffft!

Just an other revenue making scheme.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
You know what the message should be, “Distracted walkers will suffer consequences”. Idiots who decide to put their lives and the lives of others in danger with their potentially reckless actions should have to suffer the consequences after the incident occurs and not have police harassing individuals for just walking the sidewalk.

So long as people are vigilant they shall be fine. But if they are ignorant and are hit by a moving vehicle then not only might they lose their life and threaten the life of the driver but the idiots should also be at fault.

It’s up to the individual to watch out for themselves not some big brother bureaucrats ruining life for the rest of us sane people.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Aww...come on! Let natural selection have its way in this case....they're not driving so how many others can they really hurt? Geez...for real?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

ban pedestrians from wearing headphones in both ears while on, parallel or adjacent to a street, road, intersection or highway. The measure also applies to runners and cyclists and would allow pedestrians to wear headphones in one ear.

Absolutely absurd (although personally i never listen to music while walking for this exact reason: i choose to be aware of my surroundings).

All it boils down to, though, is another source of revenue under the guise of safety. The number of people who use these devices and the amount of $ it would generate....

Also, from the quote above, that pretty much makes anyone who is out of doors (in a city) in violation of the proposed ordinance/law ("while on, parallel or adjacent to a street, road, intersection or highway").

And walking/jogging/etc with just one earpiece in (the other dangling) could be equally as dangerous.

Bottom line: $$$$$$
edit on 24-1-2011 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by sixswornsermon

Just an other revenue making scheme.

Exactly, again under the auspices of "public safety". I'm not sure who I have more contempt for--the politicians or the sheeple manipulated into going along with them, willfully participating in their own sodomization with a big smile.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by NthOther

So what we could only listen to them at home?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud
That video I recently saw of the lady falling in the fountain was hilarious. I think it should be legal. No different then walking and simply not paying attention.

They played that on our morning news, over and over. It was hilarious
They have to keep distracted walking legal, it gives us great laughs.

Let's just let natural selection sort everything out, until then, it's good entertainment.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

Yeah, that was pretty funny to watch

And this kind of thing should be legal. You are only at fault when you commit the crime not before it. Crime is only when someone uses their freedom of choice to limit other's freedoms.

Oh, here is the video:
Unattentive Walking, Akwardly Disatorous

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
LOL! I can't say that I didn't see this coming, as soon as the girl falling at the mall went viral and she sued. I can't really blame lawmakers on this one when sheeple hurt themselves and then try to sue for their own stupidity everyone else suffers the consequences.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I swear law makers sit around a table and think-up these stupid laws. Maybe they have law quotas to meet?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Yes! Finally I have hard solid evidence!!

The Dodo Bird is not extinct!

Proven. Fact.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Ridiculous.

If your stupidity gets you killed, well then that's just Darwin

I run with my Ipod, it is just audible and I use one ear bud. I am never "lost" in the music, I know where I am, where on coming traffic is, and hopefully hear the spooky person coming up behind me.

That lady that fell in the fountain was hilarious, funniest thing I've seen in awhile. You know why, because I see people like everyday, to stuck in their phone to pay attention. Every time I see them, or they bump into me I say that one day....one day......they'll get what's coming. Finally one did, and it doesn't get less funny each time I see it.

new topics

top topics

join