It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suspect pleads not guilty in deadly Ariz. shooting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

At least eight U.S. Marshals were present at the hearing in the Phoenix courthouse, where Loughner entered Monday afternoon smiling and wearing an orange prison suit and glasses. His hair, shaved in the mug shot that's become an enduring image of the tragedy, has grown out slightly.

Investigators have said Loughner was mentally disturbed and acting increasingly erratic in the weeks leading up to the shooting. If his attorney uses mental competency questions as a defense and is successful, Loughner could be sent to a mental health facility instead of being sentenced to prison or death.

SOURCE

I'm a pacifist and I say Hang the SOB solely based on the senseless death of 9 yo Christina Green.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
So he has a note that says "I planned ahead" and puts his signature at the bottom but then he pleads not guilty? Doesn't make too much sense. The note sounds like a forgery and since he hasn't stopped smiling since his mug shot I'm guessing he is a patsy, I just hope he realizes that when they give him a guilty verdict his handlers will no longer bail him out.

edit on 24-1-2011 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
He pretty much as to plead not guilty.
To plead guilty will get him the death penelty
to plead not guilty and be found guilty will get him the death penelty

At least with a not guilty plea, the lawyer can try to do some magic to get him life behind bars verses the noose...unlikely, but maybe.

Actually, I say life behind bars is about right. The guy is clearly nuts...not conveniently for trial nuts, but proper window licking rats behind my eyeballs nuts well before this. He needs to be removed from society, but murdering him for vengence sake...murdering a man whom has a broken mind...well, that I find a bit cruel and unusual.

And yes, I have the same humane and passionate viewpoint of the victims also...but killing him will not make anything better, nor will it make our justice system somehow serving justice by the action.

Chances are he will get put down though.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
So he has a note that says "I planned ahead" and puts his signature at the bottom but then he pleads not guilty? Doesn't make too much sense. The note sounds like a forgery and since he hasn't stopped smiling since his mug shot I'm guessing he is a patsy, I just hope he realizes that when they give him a guilty verdict his handlers will no longer bail him out.

edit on 24-1-2011 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

Uhh maybe he's aiming for that insanity verdict?

Or do you think he is incapable of understanding his situation? Patsy? You must think he has a very low intellect or is borderline retarded in order to believe he would sit in the lockup smiling not comprehending the predicament he is in.

Did you read any of his blatherings? He was well into is own detatched reality. Well into his delusions.

Did you see the videos he made? Grim reaper burning the American Flag, walking around his college rambling incoherently about the end of the free American etc...

.... i just get so frustrated that people rather assume he's a patsy led blindly by some boogie man - he's an adult who was ill and ended up killing people, including a child.

Why cant people just understand that this world is not perfect, people like loughner EXIST. ARRGH!H!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I apologize in advance if this is considered somewhat off topic, but.....

They say his hair has grown out slightly? This drawing shows him with a full head of the stuff....montreal.ctv.ca... As does this one: www.eastvalleytribune.com... I guess you could call it the many faces of Jared Loughner.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Actually, I say life behind bars is about right. The guy is clearly nuts...not conveniently for trial nuts, but proper window licking rats behind my eyeballs nuts well before this. He needs to be removed from society, but murdering him for vengence sake...murdering a man whom has a broken mind...well, that I find a bit cruel and unusual.

He's clearly nuts but to be found innocent by reason of insanity, his defense has to prove he couldn't distinguish between right and wrong. The fact that he wrote a note saying "please don't be mad at me" tells me he at least knew others would think his actions were wrong.

I'm normally against the death penalty, simply because it's not worth putting innocent people to death. The justice system does make mistakes. Innocent people have been executed. But in revolting cases like this, when the question of guilt is not in question, I say fry the little bastard.

This has gotten so much publicity, and the fact that he killed a 9 year old girl and federal judge in cold blood, and took a chunk out of the brain of a sitting US Congresswoman, I think he's actually got a good chance of getting the death penalty and eventually getting executed. Although it will probably take at least a decade because of the lengthy due process issues involved in death penalty cases.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious

At least eight U.S. Marshals were present at the hearing in the Phoenix courthouse, where Loughner entered Monday afternoon smiling and wearing an orange prison suit and glasses. His hair, shaved in the mug shot that's become an enduring image of the tragedy, has grown out slightly.

Investigators have said Loughner was mentally disturbed and acting increasingly erratic in the weeks leading up to the shooting. If his attorney uses mental competency questions as a defense and is successful, Loughner could be sent to a mental health facility instead of being sentenced to prison or death.

SOURCE

I'm a pacifist and I say Hang the SOB solely based on the senseless death of 9 yo Christina Green.

So execute a person that is insane and detached from reality. Satan: Yeah that will work! Right on!

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schaden

Originally posted by SaturnFX

He's clearly nuts but to be found innocent by reason of insanity, his defense has to prove he couldn't distinguish between right and wrong. The fact that he wrote a note saying "please don't be mad at me" tells me he at least knew others would think his actions were wrong.

I'm normally against the death penalty, simply because it's not worth putting innocent people to death. The justice system does make mistakes. Innocent people have been executed. But in revolting cases like this, when the question of guilt is not in question, I say fry the little bastard.

This has gotten so much publicity, and the fact that he killed a 9 year old girl and federal judge in cold blood, and took a chunk out of the brain of a sitting US Congresswoman, I think he's actually got a good chance of getting the death penalty and eventually getting executed. Although it will probably take at least a decade because of the lengthy due process issues involved in death penalty cases.

So if someone is psychotic and their reality is very distorted and decision making is compromised then they deserve to die or get life in prison like a person that is sense of reality is correct and decision making is rational.

So we all want revenge or do we want justice?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Justice would be the death penalty. He's crazy but I believe he knew what he did was wrong. He was mad at the world and planned to go out Columbine style. It was premeditated murder, he didn't just snap. And his parents should be sued in civil court for not getting him into a mental institution before it happened.

At the very least, life in solitary with no chance of ever getting released. If he's found not guilty by reason of insanity, many decades from now, after years of heavy psych meds, essentially lobotomizing him, he could be released back into society.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
double post
edit on 25-1-2011 by Schaden because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by John_Rodger_Cornman
So execute a person that is insane and detached from reality. Satan: Yeah that will work! Right on!

Are you detached if you:

Buy a gun weeks in advance?
Post a goodbye message on your web page?
Call your friends the night before?
Check into hotel the night before?
Buy the bullets the day of?
Take a cab ride to the scene?
Empty your magazine and attempt to reload?

Seems like he kinda grasps reality if you ask me.
And yes I realize the signs of mental illness and schizophrenia can be masked beyond just babbling while making spit bubbles. I think he showed willfull intent.

top topics

join