It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have the Books you Read, Shaped Who you Are?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Hello my friends,
I was thinking to myself the other day about how the books I have read growing up may have helped shaped my thinking and me as a person.

I am guessing that a good percentage of the readers of this forum are avid readers themselves. One would almost have to be to enjoy this site, as there is so much to explore.

When I think back about all the books I have read and believe me it has been many many books, I started thinking about a bit of a pattern that showed itself. Outside of required reading in school, some of the best books, or books that made a impression on me were usually given to me . The pattern I was referring to almost seemed like I was being guided. The intensity seemed to go deeper with each read.

Now mind you, like I said, most of these books were just shared with me, so it wasn’t like I went out looking for them, they just seemed to come to me. I am wondering if this has happened to you as well.

I am by no means going to name every book I have written, but I am going to mention the ones that made strong impressions and see if you can see the pattern Im referring too.

So as best as I can remember I will try and take them in order from the beginning, of what really stands out.

Age: lol Young – Tom Sawyer, and Huckleberry Finn (Mark Twain)

Skipping some time here to 7th grade, we now come too "Red Badge of Courage", (Stephen Crane), "Lord of the Flies", (William Golding) and "The Catcher in the Rye", (J. D. Salinger).

8th Grade: "The Odyssey" and "The Iliad" (Homer). I have to say I was much more impressed with the Odyssey frankly.

Now this is about the time the books started coming to me. If I recall correctly I should be about 16 now. Some how I impressed a counselor in some way that they thought I should read "TheFountainhead", (Ayn Rand). Why they thought it was important I read it, I have no idea, but I did eventually go on to read "Atlas Shrug" as well, though Im not exactly sure when I did.

Recall is tricky, but I do believe through the late teens, Isaac Asimov and Arthur C Clark started falling into my hands. I was always very impressed with the 3 laws of robotics,

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2.A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3.A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Moving into my early 20’s Ruth Montgomery came into my life starting off with "Strangers Amongst Us" and "World Before". I read more of her, but those impressed me most. I thought she was rather interesting as she had a quite a remarkable history of her own. See more about this lady here :
Ruth Montgomery

Edgar Cayce is also making a appearance as well about now. Keep in mind this books are coming to me through friends etc. I am not seeking them out.

In is same time frame, Jane Roberts has shown up with the "Seth Books."

We have now come to my early 30's and Pierce Anthony has arrived with the "On A Pale Horse " series. That was great reading. I cant say as I am a big Pierce Anthony fan outside of that series but I did manage later to have the final book of the series come to me called "The Tarot."

I will stop here as I could go on and on, but does anyone see a pattern here? I know I am now a very dimensional thinker and very open to time travel, paranormal, past lives, etc. I guess it was the stuff that resonated with me or seemed right. I have most certainly read a lot of stuff in between all that, but I find it curious the cosmos brought those books to me.

So, you think books you have read have made you who you are today?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
To me, after reading Brave New World I've become more open-eyed.
And by that I mean, the things we take pleasure in will eventually be the ruin of us.
Being a slave to electronics, drugs, and being within the social norm.. it sort of hit me at once.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Bones_

Thanks for the reply. I can't say as I have read that book, but I will now keep a eye out for it. I kind of hope this thread brings a lot of cool books forward that may have been missed in my travels!

Im also really hoping to see if anyone else can think back and noticed a pattern for themselves as well

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
It´s true, at least I can feel that too, I feel that if you read well a book, somehow it will be a minor or an important influence in you. I mean, all books are made of knowledge (very apart if that knowledge is useful or is not useful) and you get that knowledge when you read and when you think about what you´ve read, sometimes it kinda sleeps in your subconscious or is present in all that makes you be yourself (like the language you use, the way you think, the way you solve things, the way you compare situations and too many facts with some of those books you read).

English is not my first language, I have read a few books in english, but in my first language I have read several books with diferent topics, of course the most notable books I´ve read are a couple from Gurdjieff and the classics like Herodotus, Thucydides Apuleis and Tacitus.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
There could definetly be a connection. I ended up being given a collection of Star Wars novels when I was about 9, and now I have an IT position already at 19. Maybe I can thank Star Wars for my luck there
Now that I think about it though, all those books may actually be what got me interested in technology and science.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by warbird03

The Star War books were a gift correct? Funny how you ended up! I hope others reply, we might see something here. Like we are directed by some unseen hand kind of thing! Should be interesting.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

Yep, they were a gift. One of my relatives brought me a box of about 20 books one day, I don't think he even told me where he picked them up at. I spent a great deal of time reading them though, a lot of them were good even if you're not a fan of Star Wars or sci-fi in general.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
A book that got me early(around 6) was "Ethan Allen and The Green Mountain Boys". It took me another year or two to realize that they were real, lol. That lead me to reading about our founding fathers which remains a passion for me to this day. Aside from that, I likely was influenced by some pretty standard authors for this site. Orwell, Huxley, Rand, Tolkien, Hitler, Marx, Adam Smith, Von Daniken, and Hal Lindsay; all before I became a teenager. My reading only became more esoteric from there.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I was brought up in a religion/cult where reading books wasn't really aloud. Until 5 years ago i hadn't read a single book outside of this religion, very sad!! Now im addicted and have since read probably near 100 books. They have definitely shaped who i am.

Started out reading books of religious nature, koran, tibetan book of the dead including some apocryphal texts eg. book of enoch-- then a lot of Zecharia Stitchen-- then books on existentialism and other theories of reality-- then books on quantum physics-- then books on holographic/simulated realities (michael talbot eg)-- then stumbled across Carlos Casteneda which has led me in the direction of shamanism, for now.

As you can see im a bit of a nutter!! I never thought 5 years from now id be seeking answers about life/reality through books on shamanism lol!! Books have definitely put me on some course of direction, almost a roller-coaster ride!
edit on 25-1-2011 by doorhand because: missed a few books

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Catch-22 opened my eyes to the bs of bureaucracy and the incompetance of leaders. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy taught me that there is no god, no meaning. Reading Plato has taught me the value of civility. HP Lovecraft's stories shaped my cosmic view of the universe; cold, empty and filled with sharp things that will end your life without conscience.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Did the chicken lay the egg..or did the egg hatch and give us the chicken?

Did the books I read influence me, or did my interests cause me to read the books I read?

I remember having to get permission from my teacher in elementary school to get books from the "big kids" section. While others read "see Billy run" or " a fun day at the circus"... I was reading about Daniel Boone, Davy Crocket, 30 Seconds Over Tokyo, Guadalcanal Diaries, The Alamo...even started into the Valley of the Kings, and Gods of Egypt.

I've read countless books about the American Revolution and Civil War, pioneers, the Old West...anything with pioneering spirit and self reliance and divine rights.

How did it influence me and shape my life?

I am highly independent, stubborn, hate authority, confrontational with those that overstep their boundries, have a deep rooted sense of justice-right and wrong. Do not like govt authority, own too many rifles, enjoying a successful 3rd marriage, live on a self sufficient farm, raise my own food, fly an American flag and a rebel flag for all the right reasons...basically your educated red neck gone to college and back to his roots kind a guy.

You got a problem with that....LOL.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
When I saw the title of this thread I clicked it expecting some sort of nonsenese. I was wrong. Very nice thread OP.
I was very lucky in that both of my parents were very avid readers. I can say literally that I can't remember a single time when they weren't working through a book. I don't mean that in the literal sense that they were always reading with a book attached to them at all times, but rather that they had a bookmark in their book so they could and would pick it up later that day to continue reading. They passed that passion of reading on to me at a VERY early age. My Mom was an English teacher so I always had reading material.
In Kindergarten I was reading childrens books. Dr. Seuss, and the like. By first grade upgraded a bit to Olive Beupree Millers childrens stories. 2nd grade were alot of History books aimed at kids - you know the picture books that described Cavemen, Egyptians and pyramids, Indian civilizations like the Incas and Mayans, Vikings, Explorers, Knights, US history and the like.
In 3-5th grades I discovered Readers Digest Condensed. My parents got a new RDC in the mail every month. I read them so my interests were varied. I read the entire sets of The Happy Hollisters, The Hardy Boys, nancy Drew. I remember distinctly in 5th grade telling the school librarian that she needed to get better books. She showed me two books. One was called 365 Days - it was a great book about a soldiers tour in Vietnam. The other was called Is Something Out There? - It was about the search for extra terrestrial life.
We had a book exchange right around the corner. For a dime you could get used paperback books. I can't remember the name of the publication, but there was a book that had lots and lots of stories about the unexplained. Ghosts, Psychics and a whole lot of unexplained things which were creepy. My parents bought me a copy of The Search For Ancient Astronauts. I was addicted. My Dad read it, and he bought alot of those types of books. It was common to find two bookmarks in those books. One was his, and one was mine.
Then I found Ellery Queen. I read many of those. By 8th grade I was reading The Excorcist, Valley of the Dolls, and a boatload of others.
I became very interested in War Novels - non fiction. I couldn't get enough of World War ll subject matter.
I've read every book written by Ludlum, King/Bachman, Koontz, Clancy as well as many others.
I LOVE TO READ. I much prefer it to TV. TV bores me.
I have Aspbergers Syndrome, and grow bored of things very easily. I was always drawn to puzzles, and engineering. I've always been able to visualize how things were made, and a flat piece of paper with a diagram on it became a living model in my head.

To answer the OP's question. Yes, I would say that I am a product of what I've read.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by withopeneyes

Im so glad you folks are enjoying this thread, and thank you for responding. I didnt mean to disappear, just been working.

You know, I was going to start out on my list with the Happy Hollisters, but I thought no one would have a clue to what I was talking about! My friend had the set and I blew through them!!! So many you mentioned I have read as well. Funny, Im a only child and I can't say as anyone in my family read a lot. My grandmother read to me as a child, but I was way beyond my grade of reading all through school. Books were my friends.

Since I have posted this thread more and more books have been popping in my head of what has stuck with me, but like many of you, that list could go on forever. It is nice to see so many similarities though. Being a believer in water seeks its own level, I can't help but wonder if all those books have brought us together here in some sort of way.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
theres definitely a connection between the way that you see life and think logically from reading books. i do not however think that which books you read will determine your personality. i believe just the fact that you are able to open your mind and be able to think about different scenarios is actually what you take from reading, now some messages might stick with you and may help you with certain situations, but they wont mold who you are.

new topics

top topics

join