It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Film about anti-gay preacher who murders homosexuals sparks protests at Sundance festival

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Film about anti-gay preacher who murders homosexuals sparks protests at Sundance festival

www.dailym ail.co.uk

A controversial film telling the story of a hate-filled preacher who murders people he believes are gay has sparked protests in the U.S.
Members of Westboro Baptist Church in Kansas protested at the premier screening of Red State at the Sundance Film Festival on Sunday.
But they were met with an army of counter-protesters who supported the fictional film - and condemned the church-goers for their 'hate speech'
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

The church claimed that the film 'mocks the servants of God' while its outspoken director, Kevin Smith, was 'a hater of Biblical proportions'.

A group of five Westboro Baptist Church members held signs with such slogans as 'God hates America', 'You’re going to hell' and 'God is not mocked'. One church member told the newspaper it was ' just a beautiful preaching opportunity'.

Who are these people?
These people must be by far the dumbest people on the planet

Surely they can't really be THAT stupid

Could it just be some covert movement to bring us down the line of people starting to think that as a evolved society it's time to control speech?

While you may think that I have my tin foil hat on too tight I on the other hand have flashes of thoughts saying "These people actually being that dumb is MORE far-fethed than this being a covert movement".

Of course I don't sincerely believe that but.....
Whether it's really how they feel or not the promotion of controlling speech is at the end of the road regardless.

Thoughts ATS?

www.dailym ail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Stupidity knows no bounds.
While they have the right to create such a film, why would anyone pay to see it?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Maybe next he'll make a movie about child molestors and call it "Blue State."

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I can't wait for this film.... since I heard about it a few years back.

A film is a film people.... make a film about whatever you like.

Trailer is here

edit on 24/1/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Somebody needs to make a sign that says "God Hates Hate". WBC is the devil in disguise.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

They protested my high school back around 2002. The younger ones are brainwashed and not allowed to form their own opinions and live within the church, they are pretty much all the same family. You can watch a documentary about the church and see. They all do this (the protesting) a lot of the time to file lawsuits and collect money.
When they protested our school we had announcements telling us to leave them alone and especially not throw things or lay hands on them because they tried to get that reaction so they could sue and add to their funds that way.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

What, you've just discovered these mutants? Wow, man. You're fortunate to have gone so long without having to hear about the WBC.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenBeans

That doesn't make any sense.
I see the relation between red states and religion and anti gay rhetoric. However, I don't get your comment.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
That doesn't make any sense.
I see the relation between red states and religion and anti gay rhetoric.

That's because you've been brainwashed.

I live in the bluest of blue states, gay marraige failed miserably here despite outspending the competition 5 to 1.

It isn't just conservative religious fundamentalists who oppose gay marraige or find homosexuality abnormal and unhealthy.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Absolutely. God hates hate. That's freaking awesome. I don't know why these WBC guys get any more respect than the KKK. Seriously. That dude reminds me of the bad guy on Poltergeist 2.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenBeans
It isn't just conservative religious fundamentalists who oppose gay marraige or find homosexuality abnormal and unhealthy.

Personally I do not oppose gay marriage just adoption
Gays marrying each other has nothing to do with us
Adoption however is another topic

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Good, I hope it generates controversy and I hope MILLIONS of people see the film.

For the simple fact that it will show what churches, such as the WBC have done to people for no reason other than their sexuality among other things.

Exporting Hatred...is what these people are about.

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

They protested my high school back around 2002. The younger ones are brainwashed and not allowed to form their own opinions and live within the church, they are pretty much all the same family. You can watch a documentary about the church and see. They all do this (the protesting) a lot of the time to file lawsuits and collect money.
When they protested our school we had announcements telling us to leave them alone and especially not throw things or lay hands on them because they tried to get that reaction so they could sue and add to their funds that way.

Thats exactly correct. They do all this, trying to get money.

They are not really even a "church", more of an extended family that uses provocative protesting methods to incite violence against them, and then they will sue that city for not protecting them. And with that money, that is what they live on, and send more of the family to law school, to keep their scheme going.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Interesting, so these guys are not genuinely full of hate
They are more like evangelists, preaching their version of morality for money?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
I can't wait for this film.... since I heard about it a few years back.

A film is a film people.... make a film about whatever you like.

edit on 24/1/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

I just watched a movie called "Retardead" about retarded zombies. (it was cheesy and campy).
Exactly Blup: Just a film.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Interesting, so these guys are not genuinely full of hate
They are more like evangelists, preaching their version of morality for money?

Oh they may very well be full of hate. But its mostly about the money.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I will go see this film now.

Good work stupid haters

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Whats along the same lines, back in Wichita Falls Texas, we had a preacher at First Baptist who wanted to engage in some grandstanding by checking out the single copy in the library of "Heather has two mommies" . I really doubt anyone even knew it was in there anyways.

He makes grand theatre out of it, loudly protesting about its existence and how it will not be returned to the library, and its all over the news. Only issue with that was, that for every ten people on the waiting list, they had to order a new copy of the book.

Guess what? Because of the news coverage and subsequent interest, lots of people wanted to see what the fuss was all about and put themselves on the waiting list. I wonder how many dozens of copies the library had to order for the library after that...

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Could it just be some covert movement to bring us down the line of people starting to think that as a evolved society it's time to control speech?

I've wondered about that myself, I've never heard anyone else say it though, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join