It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police brutality, and what we can really do about it

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

If good cops would grow a backbone and report and arrest their fellow officers when they cross the line, shootings like that might be avoided.

Great statement, if you are a good leo and have knowledge of illegal goings' on within the dept., and dont report it to the "proper" authorities... by virtue of obsructing justice they officially join the ranks of "the criminal element", the way I see it.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TheGhostViking

Excuse me?

Please specify which posts you are referring to.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
the ones were you are talking about police getting shot . You dont know what the name of this thread is ?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TheGhostViking

Try reading the posts. A question was posed. I gave an answer. What part of that do you not comprehend? Maybe it was my mistake that I went too deep. More to the root causes than the resulting mess. My mind does that sometimes.
edit on 1/24/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
i did read the posts and im not singling you out at all im just saying its like the total opposite of this thread but no biggie dude all good
what do you think of the 2 videos i posted i got stars but no comment im interested in your opinions

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
One of the major problems is the militarization of of the police forces. Everywhere you look, police forces are forming their own "special response" units.

This started in the 60's and 70's as a response to leftist activists ambushing police officers. Then, it was only in the big cities and in the 80's it moved into the small towns with regional units to deal with emergencies. In the 90's, the Clinton administration greatly expanded their creation with federal funding to help put more cops on the streets; while much of that money went to hiring additional officers, much also went to advanced weaponry and the creation of SWAT units in even the quietest and smallest towns. After 9-11, they became a must-have and, today, many police departments keep a small arsenal in the trunk of every police car. Today's police forces are better armed and armored than the soldiers we send to fight our wars overseas.

With this increased militarization comes the temptation to use their military equipment in order to justify the expenses; because of this, we have police doing raids on everyday drug users for a small bag of pot.

The government is not allowed to use the military against its citizens so they came up with the next best solution; they militarized the police to intimidate the people into submission. With this militarization came military tactics and the attitude of using a sledge hammer to pound in every nail. No longer do police use their intellect and wits to do their jobs and they almost never bother to take the time to talk down an upset person. Today's police utilize the same "shock and awe" policy used by our military to force their enemies to submit.

This has caused the police forces to become more brutal in their dealings with everyday people. Police forces need to get rid of their militarized units to stop intimidating the people they are charged to protect and serve and to force them to go back to the tried and true methods of community policing where they get to know their neighborhoods, gain the trust of the people and become the friends of the people in their communities.

Police are not at war with the people they are charged to serve and protect and they need to stop the "us vs them" mentality that drives many police officers today. If they continue to treat the citizens as if they are at war with them,the citizens will get the hint and it won't be long before they really ARE at war with the people of their communities.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Record dates, times, locations, officers badge numbers and report the incident to the department's Internal Affairs Burerau as it is their job to invistigate crooked and dirty cops. Most claims can be filed anonymously.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

Thank you for your time but apparently this is not effective. When internal affairs investigates their own...its like the wolf gaurding the hen house.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by G.A.G.

Thank you for your time but apparently this is not effective. When internal affairs investigates their own...its like the wolf gaurding the hen house.

If you get no help from IAB go to your local mayor's office and file the report with them.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1

Originally posted by G.A.G.

If you get no help from IAB go to your local mayor's office and file the report with them. IAB must take any and all reports seriously and if they don't, do not be afraid to go above thier heads or paygrade to get results as that is what the higher ups are there for, to maintain civility, respect and professionalism in thier ranks. Also, it doesn't hurt to know a few cops as well as if you have a claim file it with them and they will make sure it is followed through,

Answered in quote!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

I am not personally now, or ever been in conflict with local leos. I do however feel its disconcerting to see all these cases of leo misconduct going on and virtually no accountabilty.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by G.A.G.

I understand, just posting how to get things done via something called, "Fasttracking a case" in which a case is advanced further in a considerably shorter time.

Or, contact the ACLU in case your case is dismissed as you have rights. Also, calling your local TV News station and printed press media is not a bad avenue to consider. This shines a spotlight which they completely hate.

Some LEO's here on this forum can provide further insight on to how to get justice.
edit on 25-1-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

I am not personally now, or ever been in conflict with local leos. I do however feel its disconcerting to see all these cases of leo misconduct going on and virtually no accountabilty.

Kind sir/mam... I am a good lawbiding subject and am not in conflict personally. The leos in this forum have offered great advise but remember, the measures currently in place are "not working at all" in the grand scheme of things. My point is, there are good cops and bad cops, the good cops who are privy to wrongdoings by fellow officers, are" enablers". So too, are the prosecuting attorneys who decide, "since the victim doesnt file charges,I dont have to". Just because a victim/subject doesnt pursue legal action, doesnt mean that he/she cant file charges on behalf of the county/state. Most of the time the victims dont file charges, I suspect may just be because they were threatened or paid off.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
One thing that can be done is for the states to hold their own independent investigations into the system and the claims. Some claims are groundless, some are not, some internal investigations are factual, some are not. There are a lot of issues and different versions of events surrounding what happened, some can be reasonably proved and some police do have a reputation. It is not just the force that needs to be looked at but the culture and system that deals with these events. Don't even waist your time unless such an investigation can be independent. Being a cop can be a hard job at times steeping into some sketchy situations, some of them can take it too far at other times. It is not just the job that needs review but the support, assessment and culture.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I usually just try to stay out of their way and do nothing wrong. LOL. I don't care if someone held a gun to my head I wouldn't call them, I'll take my chances with the gun weilding lunatic,TYVM, and probably be better off.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

It is not just the force that needs to be looked at but the culture and system that deals with these events Thankyou for noticing, thats precisely my point with this thread. g.a.g.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Well Hmmm....I just gues it's damned if you do, damned if you dont...
Man Faces Jail For Protecting

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by G.A.G.

Quit taking it as a personal strike against you as the information provided does not apply to you currently but did post to show people that there is avenues already setup to get results.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join