It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Good, the Bad & the Ugly: Encounters with the Law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I am interested in hearing member's recollections while having encounters with law enforcement officers. The good, as well as bad and ugly. Especially (if you are old enough) those encounters since 2001, as opposed to prior years.

Is there a difference? Better or worse? Do you remember getting a warning ticket in years past? Have you received a warning lately? Do they seem more tolerant and friendly, or more aggresive and hostile?

I will start the ball rolling:

As I am very careful because I don't want any more encounters of my own, my last one was in 2004 (thanks Lord). We (my wife, granddaughter and I) were returning from a 4th of July camping vacation in east TX.
We were between Bastrop and San Marcos in a well-known speed trap area. We were travelling at 70 mph, my wife driving and me in the passenger seat.

A TX DPS trooper went by going the opposite direction, at least as fast as we were going. He turned around abdruptly and began following us. I thought my wife was maybe speeding, but she was sure she wasn't.

The trooper came up to my (passenger) side of the car. I rolled down the window and asked what was the problem. He said I wasn't wearing a seatbelt. I said, no sir I was and showed him. He said I wasn't wearing it properly! I said what??? Well, I had the shoulder strap tucked under my arm, as I had a sunburn from the camping trip. I explained this to him.

He asked me to step out of the vehicle. It was then that I told my inner PO'd self to keep the mouth zipped no matter what. Good thing, he was testing me, He made me stand on the side of the road with my wife and granddaughter waiting for at least 10 minutes. He got on the radio and called my info in. He came back and began writing a ticket. I said I didn't know that I was breaking the law. I knew he was trolling as there was no way he could see the status of the seat belt passing going the opposite direction at 70mph. The minivan had tinted windows, no way.

He thanked me for being so courteous, as if to taunt me; he must have known I was biting my toungue. One last dig before he let me go, IMO.

When we were finally allowed to be on our way, we saw two other DPS within 1.5 miles on the same stretch of road with folks pulled over.

The ticket cost $150, NICE.....!

I'm sure others have better one's than this, as do I.

edit on 24-1-2011 by 1SawSomeThings because: more info

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Those who "enforce" the "law" know how to infringe upon or "break" the law better than anyone else.

It's funny, back when I was a kid, we were taught to respect and seek a police officer when we were lost or something happened, but now, police who lie to gain evidence on people, set-up speed-traps, blatantly "profile" people and vehicles to stop them on some "spurious" probable cause, and interpret the US Constitution as they "see fit" are IMHO not worth their "salt."

Some police officers are good people with good reasoning and with good ethics, but there are some out there who are worse than vigilante pseudo-militia empowered by the state which oppress the people they were sworn to protect; and most of the bad apples in that barrel are that way because of false ideologies they were taught and raised-in. And that is a shame. I wonder how many police officers have college degrees? Not many I would bet, unless they are higher up in the chain of command.

Where did we go so wrong and if our police is like this, what is our government like?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by trekwebmaster

Where did we go so wrong and if our police is like this, what is our government like?

Very good question... more police power is definitely seeming to be the trend. IMO.

Is that making us safer since 9/11, or just bringing in more revenue and prisoners to the privatized incarceration industry?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by 1SawSomeThings

I have never had any encounters with police. They just decided they would in effect murder my life without me ever committing a crime ever, in the 19 years they have been in my life.

Police can literally kill your life without you ever talking to them or them charging you or even talking to you. They go with there friends and just make it up and target you and your life.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by 1SawSomeThings

One incident that really made me mad was a Fish and Wildlife officer ticketed me for not wearing a lifevest while I was loading my seadoo. I had it on the whole time I was on the watercraft until I loaded it because I couldn't drive while it was on. So, he gave me a ticket for about 2 minutes it took to load my seadoo and told me I could drown in the loading dock. Whatever! Idiot officer.

But other than that, I've had great experiences with officers. THey usually let me go because I am a disabled veteran and it says so on my license plate. I've found most of them to be courteous and nice people. A minority of them are wrapped up in themselves with their head firmly planted in their rear ends. My uncle is the sheriff in my county and he is a really nice guy to everyone that isn't his own family. We all have our defects.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
In the US you still have the right to have a common law trial. The prosecution must prove that you caused damage to another person or their property. I have had three cases dismissed by only asking the jurisdiction of the court and requesting that it be moved to a common law trial court where procesecutors know that no one was injured or harmed in any way or manner. I have been to trial well over ten times and have yet to pay any fine other than when I plead out a nolo contendre and waited 30 days to clear my record. Always be pleasant with the police man and always show absolute respect for any court room that you enter. Spend sometime studying the laws of your state and the laws of our country. There is a huge difference between a statute and a law.

Familiarize yourself with the differences and do not back down from your principles. The common law still applies if you are informed. Ignorance is the price we pay as a society when we accept whatever the courts or officers of the court demand of us. Education takes time but if you have time to read this thread then you have the time to educate yourself. You do not need to go to the extreme of a Free Man on the Land but you can learn the system and there are many lawyers who will help you at very reasonable prices as long as they don't have to waste their time in court. Fight the good fight and always remain true to your convictions. Yes I have spent the night in a jail but I did not pay the $200 dollar fine that was demanded of me. Fair trade and a free meal. I know this will generate a lot of what ifs and negativity but it does work and I am living proof. I even use it in my present country of residence and it always works. Some party has to be damaged before they can force you into a conviction or pay a fine. Yes, I am afraid to say that this includes DUI's. If no one was harmed, they do not have a case against you unless you were reckless in the manner in which you were driving. Good luck to those who decide to fight because it is never easy but extremely rewarding. You can usually find legal advisors who are not lawyers. They will usually help you for free or a very modest fee.. I have done it and have not lost a case yet.

Always remember that the judge, police, prosecutor, jail, fines and your court appointed attorney are all paid for by you as well as the jury. You are alone and it can be very intimidating but they are people just trying to generate income for the state. If you are going to take up a lot of their time, it is not worth their time and effort. Common law courts have existed for many centuries and it is one right that we still have. Words are powerful and have a specific meaning in a court room and another in our daily lives. Know the difference and be informed. They love to use contempt as a threat and you always need to determine if it is criminal or civil. It also makes a huge difference. Execise your brain for a few hours if you receive any summons to appear in a traffic court and it will be hours well spent my friends. A judge can be your best friend or your worst nightmare. I have found them to be very helpful if you show them the respect that they have usually earned.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Monteriano

Some party has to be damaged before they can force you into a conviction or pay a fine. Yes, I am afraid to say that this includes DUI's. If no one was harmed, they do not have a case against you unless you were reckless in the manner in which you were driving.

This sounds pretty good, but I don't think you're talking about the U.S. I know the MADD mothers will disagree.

They want everyone stopped at checkpoints, and upon suspicion strapped to a gurney and blood forcefully drawn for testing.

The local DA is already doing the blood draw here, and trying to get the checkpoints.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I also believe that these check points are video taped. No test has been proven to be 100% accurate and many of these cases have been won based on the demeaner and actions of the alleged impaired. That is when you do need a lawyer and a common law court trial. It has been proven that many people are impaired at many different levels of alcohol. There are also people with illnesses who may appear to be DUI when in fact that are not. A good lawyer will help in this manner. It is also a violation of your 5th amendment in the US. A good lawyer can help you win a case like this.
MADD recently came out with an article about no charges being filed against first time offenders. Google it. I know that I did not dream it. I do not drink and drive but drink at home with friends or wife. She drinks very little and is always the designated driver since we live in a small town. I also believe that the blood withdrawal case has not made its way to the Supreme court where I believe it will be thrown out based on the 5th. I never advise anyone to drink, take intoxicants and drive. I was only suggesting that in a common law court that damages have to be proven in order for the prosecuting party to win a case if you know the law and do not fall into their trap of you crossing the BAR into their jurisdiction. No rational person would agree that it is an intelligent thing to get behind the wheel of a car while impaired. I would not even ride a horse if I were impaired but it is unfortunate that people do and they should be severely punished if they murder another human being with a car while impaired. The most prudent action that you can take is to answer no questions until you have competant council in any potential felony charge.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Monteriano

Thanks for your input.
However, I am acquainted with a man who is very active in leadership with MADD; he lost his son several years ago to a drunk. He is always talking about pushing for much stiffer 1st offense penalties, checkpoints and forced blood draw.
MADD has been very successful in TX with almost every initiative. They have the resources to make things happen, constitutional or not.

This common law court thing you speak of, I don't think that will work here (in realistic terms). Maybe you could shed some light on that in a different thread??

I wanted the thread to be about 1st hand encounters with law enforcement officers, and if people think things have gone downhill or gotten better since 09/2001.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I agree with you. Many of my encounters with police men have been in the court room. I also believe things have gotten worse because of our educational system that encourages us to fall in line and not question authority. Things have gotten much worse and will continue to worsen unless people are willing to spend sometime educating themselves because our educational system is not going to do it for you. I am agreeing with you that police have gotten much worse and that they intentionally chose people that follow orders rather than the oath that they swore to defend the constituion and to protect and serve their employers, the tax paying public.
Cheers.

top topics

join