It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We have had a Ron Paul President before...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
President Calvin "Silent Cal" Coolidge

President Calvin Coolidge, nicknamed "Silent Cal", slashed government to it's smallest size in the last 100 years. It was never again as small as it was under his administration in the 1920's. Very few people paid taxes, businesses and people had very little regulation, isolationism and non-interventionism was rampant, and our economy grew like it never had before. He was also one of the Republicans that opposed the Federal Reserve.

So we have had a President in the last 100 years that was like Ron Paul. Just as I love to hear the word "President Coolidge" I too would love to hear the words "President Paul".

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Another good thread sir. Also Grover Cleveland:

"I feel obliged to withhold my approval of the plan to indulge in
benevolent and charitable sentiment through the appropriation of public funds...
I find no warrant for such an appropriation in the Constitution."

This guy was a hardcore Constitutionalist.
edit on 24-1-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

There's also Harding, who gets little credit for what he did after Wilson was voted out.

Warren G. Harding...Sorry I get those two confused...Coolidge presided later. The point I was making before I decided to check my facts was that Harding had been elected to end the expansionism of the progressive Woodrow Wilson, who along with his progressive cronies had done irreparable damage to the country. Everything from racial zoning to segregating the military:

Harding Admin

The American electorate turned against Wilsonian idealism and interventionism and embraced a "return to normalcy" promised by Warren G. Harding.

Harding had cut the government down by huge percentages in 1920 during the little known depression of 1920. Tax rates were cut in tandem with government spending and the depression of 1920 was over by 1921. Then we had the roarin' 20s.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Coolidge certainly had a tough row to hoe considering the damage that was permanently done to our nation under the progressive Woodrow Wilson.

Good Thread!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Thanks for the quick history lesson. I'm a die-hard Ron Paul fan, and it's good to see that his ideals are not just a right here/right not sort of thing, but an honest interpretation of the Constitution. I still feel RPaul has an uphill battle, but seeing as it has been done before, it gives me hope that RPaul might still be able to save this country. Flag. Go Coolidge lol
edit on 24-1-2011 by ALLisMIND because: Rawr Grammar

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Excellent post. S&F OP.

These were men of virtue... like our founding fathers... nothing like what we have today.

Even when there was corruption during those times, there were men that stood against it, because of their virtues and morals.

This is non-existent today. Anytime it's non-existent, you get what we have in the world today.

Put the people with virtues in power, like Ron Paul, and watch how things change.

I would love to see a Paul/Nader ticket for 2012... talk about moving into a golden age!

~Namaste
edit on 24-1-2011 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-1-2011 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

The 1920’s saw the rise of what is now termed the ‘Old Right’ where American Conservatism reached its peak. Exemplifying true Conservative values of limited government, taxation, and regulation along with more personal freedoms while still holding onto tradition, religion, and morality all combined together with Non-interventionism, Isolationism, and Protectionism. That is what the real Conservative movement is all about.

The three words which always explained the Conservative values were never more true than during the 1920’s; Family, Faith, and Flag.

Family, in the sense that the core of American life, economy, and culture revolved around the family and that the job of government was to make a healthy atmosphere for family life.

Faith, in the sense that everyone was entitled to their own religion and should not be subject to persecution for that belief and that although America has many beautiful religions and non-religions we respect that Christianity plays a key role in our nation and thus should not and cannot be silenced from the public.

Flag, in the sense that we are proud to be Americans of all ethnic and religious backgrounds working together and rallying around the ideas that make our nation special; life, liberty, and justice.

I gave you a Star, project.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I think it's insane that we have to go so far back before we find someone other than Ron Paul who last shared any shred of real conservative values.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Thanks for the learning experience, Misoir (and the rest of you, too)!

Great topic...not much more to add

edit on 1/24/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Really, guys? You're bowing down to lick the toes of Coolidge? And likening his policies to those of the Messiah, Ron Paul?

So... you're basically admitting that Ron Paul's economic policies will bring about massive wealth stratification followed by an absolute crash for all but the top 1%?

Well, glad you're finally catching up, but I can't imagine this is what you actually intended to say

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Here was a speech in 1932 from President Hoover when he was running against FDR.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
The system is bound to collapse, and due to the Fed it is designed to collapse. This unlimited government has nothing but expanded, and will never stop if left unchecked. (Think about it, if no more laws needed to be created, Congress would be out of the job.) Ron Paul has been warning that a collapse is upon us should the Federal Gov't growth continues it's trend.

Ron Paul: The Federal Reserve is the Biggest Counterfeit Machine in the History of the World

RPaul also embodies the plights of the people, not the agenda (attempting to repeal the Patriot Act). Coolidge was viewed in the same light for his time.

As a Coolidge biographer put it, "He embodied the spirit and hopes of the middle class, could interpret their longings and express their opinions. That he did represent the genius of the average is the most convincing proof of his strength." -Fuess, 500

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Today, 01/24/2011

Very similar message!

Basically he is going through history and what happened after this president left office pretty much

top topics

join