It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got tattoos? Sorry, you're not allowed to work for us

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
i feel you brother! but this is not a new phenominon. i also have a tattoo on my hand, as with you nothing offensive. just a decorative trible piece of art which i drew myself. back in 98 i applied to boston market resturaunt for employment. i did not cover my tattoo. i had an excellent interview and they hired me on the spot. i was then instructed that with this company the required uniform was navy blue slacks and blue button up shirt which was not supplied. i would have to purchase these myself and then to report the next week for orientation. i went out and bought several pairs of pants and shirts costing me a little over 60.00. when i showed for orientation i met another manager who immdeiatly noticed the tattoo on my hand. he then told i could not have the job. now to me this is rediculous, i did not hide it at interview, was made to go spend money on the required uniform and was hired only to be thrown out on orientation with no compensasion. a few years after this i was working at walmart as a pharmacy tech. they hired me with my tattoos and had no issues, until......this wretched grumpy old man complained to my supervisor that my tattoo had offended him. how does a blackline piece of tribal art offend someone? i dont know. but from that day forth i was made to wear white cotton gloves at all times on the job. i would get alot of questions from the customers as to why i was wearing these gloves all the time. i would lie and tell them that since i had alot of allergies and handled the actual counting of medications that i wore them to protect myself. until one fine day when the regional manager for all the walmarts in the area came through our store. when he stepped into the pharmacy he immdeiatly noticed me with my gloves on. he came and asked me why i wore the gloves and i told him the truth and showed him my tattoo. at which point he laughed and told me to "take those damn gloves off" and that i didnt have to wear rhem anymore! a small victory for years of discrimination and persicusion for appearence

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

i dont call working at a carwash a "respectable job" lol i've seen gorillas wash a car. i bet if it was hot gorl with a tat above her ass you'd hire her and have her out in a tube top and miniskirt washing your car

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by kyleisboss

I'm curious, I see alot of people saying that people tatoos are gotten by people who what attention and alot
who say not. So, what are yours about and why on your hands and did you think when you getting them no one would
notice them.
And to all of you who feel bad for him, see if you can help him get a job. He's looking to feed his family , not
for pitty

Live everyday like it's your last, Someday you'll be right
Hang in there!
Honeydick

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

I hear you Gimme, dont get me wrong...I have TONS of friends with tattoos, maybe way more than you do......Im a burningman person, I hang with that crowd......but not as lovers or possible life mate.
Just friends.
It is a SERIOUS 'turn off' for me.......and I am stating I wont date a tatted up person, but I would invite them in for coffee or tea or a meal, or to just hang. I have had plenty of educated conversations with people who choose this form of scarification, and most of them think the tats are 'cool'. They got them simply because 'its cool'
I also stated I wont date a smoker or a drinker either, so why dont you do ahead and tell me just how ignorant & closed minded THAT makes me........lol

Your trying to put words in my mouth in your post, and your making assumptions about what I mean, instead of taking what I said at face value. When I have hired help for my business I could care less if they have Tatts, only if they can do the work.

When I see Tatts I am ALWAYS reminded of those angry white supremacists in, or out of prison with their face totally covered in markings......yes even if its just a little pink unicorn standing on a cloud, I am reminded that it is MOSTLY just prison fashion being mainstreamed. Gang markings as fashion. Like ghetto low pants somehow became 'cool'.......but fads pass.....
MOST Tatted up folks are NOT 33rd degree masons, United States Marines or members of The Royal Guard. Who clearly have real solid reasons for body marking..........but I wont be dating them either.

My father did 3 tours in Viet Nam and had a couple tattoos he was so ashamed of he had them removed.
His shame was in the disrespectful marking up of his body, and not the content of or what he thought they were going to stand for. He has 2 purple hearts & has the metal of valor. There are 12 other metals but I dont know the meaning of each one offhand, I would need to see them up close......he was dead drunk when he got his tattoos. He seriously regretted it several years later.

I just thought I would chime in on this thread to share a different point of view.
That does NOT make me ignorant Gimme, as you so readily like to imply, it makes me brave enough to share what I stand for, on a thread that is clearly filled with the 'tattoos R UBER kewl' crowd.......

edit on 25-1-2011 by theRiverGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. Tattoos are a part of how you represent yourself-for good or for bad. Not everyone is going to feel the same way about your body art as you do,and they may be uncomfortable with having to explain YOUR choices to THEIR customers. And yes,you could cover them up....but would you? At all times? Even before and after work and during breaks? What about really,really hot days? You would never,ever forget to cover them up and possibly offend some little old lady? It doesnt really matter-its a private business and they have every right to deny employment to anyone for any reason as long as they dont violate any discrimination laws in the process. Stop whining and keep looking-make sure you wear a nice dress shirt with long sleeves.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   

I'm so sorry for you! How discouraging.

The way I look at these things is this. That corporation would have screwed you over had you taken the job with them because they have no wisdom and no honor. They are petty and their employees are widgets to them. So, you were spared a frustrating work life and are free to find a company that is worthy to have your talent. You never want to work in a place that is totally materialistic/animalistic. They are control freaks.

Take heart in the positive feed back you got from the people who interviewed you and forget the tatoo nonsense. You will get more of that positive feedback, plus work in a company that is not a cold, mindless machine. If you feel self consciencous about the tatoos, put make up over them ("cover up" that matches your skin tone) for the future interviews. No big deal. You are going to be okay.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

and a swastika tattooed on my hands,

i would not employ you either - can you guess why ?

maybe read the Op properly, as he used that as an example of tattoo he does NOT have:
"Now before we all assume that I have satan, a naked lady, and a swastika tattooed on my hands, let me just tell you that is not that case. "

Edit : Seems that this point has already been made, but just to clarify that this is not the case
edit on 25-1-2011 by 1984hasarrived because: Additional information

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
but I still feel for those people who are having their freedom of choice trampled on.

What about the managers freedom of choice? Or do you think they should have none?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Studies have shown that tattoos effect the psychology of the individual that has them. The more tattoos you have, the more the effect. The psychological effect is negative and causes a loss in morals and in decision making ability and reasoning. People with tattoos are less able to discern between right and wrong than people that don't have them.

It is no coincidence that people with tattoos are far more likely to commit crimes than people without them. This has been proven over and over again in research studies. Authentic tribal tattoos that you might see on National Geographic in Africa, or the Amazon, or wherever, do not do this because the inks and dyes used are not toxic to the brain.

However, the inks and dyes used in modern societies for tattooing are extremely toxic to the area of the brain that controls and regulates moral decision making. People that might not have any tendency towards criminal activities can become pure criminals, simply by getting tattooed, and the more you get, the more likely you are to become a criminal.

Tattoos also lower the IQ of the individual that gets them and makes it more difficult for the people with them to learn. Again, the more you have, the lower your IQ will get and the harder it will be for you to learn new things. So it is perfectly and entirely reasonable, justified, and logical that companies would have an anti-tattoo policy.

The fact that so few people in the population are even aware of how extremely dangerous tattoos are to your brain is just another proof of how decrepit society has become. The powers that be see it as beneficial to them for the populace to be dumb and to lack a proper moral compass, so society now greatly promotes this culture and fad where it is so popular and "cool" to get tattoos. Because the tattoos cause severe brain damage.

It really is amazing how people are so utterly clueless these days.
edit on 25-1-2011 by Red Cloak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
1st get in writing that you werent hired because of the tattoos

2nd have proff that people work thier with tattoos

3rd hire a laywer and sue thier butts off for discrimination

Depending on your states laws, in which some states just can hire and fire at will ( then your screwed)

if your not in one of those states you got a case.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
why dont you do ahead and tell me just how ignorant & closed minded THAT makes me........lol

I never said you were close minded with all due respect. What I said was that your suggestion that only people with out tattoos can be educated etc... is an ignorant one... Because it is. I showed you a nice little list of people that prove such a suggestion wrong.

Allow me to be clear.Did you not say the following?

You REALLY wanna set yourself apart?
Be educated, discuss literature, film and STAND for something good and worthwhile...help people who have nobody else to help them. Volunteer in homeless shelters & soup kitchens.

Intentional or not, you have implied that people with tattoos cannot be any of those things... Which is why I have suggested that this is an ignorant thing of you to say.

Your trying to put words in my mouth in your post, and your making assumptions about what I mean, instead of taking what I said at face value. When I have hired help for my business I could care less if they have Tatts, only if they can do the work.

No, I am not trying to put words in your mouth. Nor have I. What I did was respond to your post. I disagreed with some things you said and some things you suggested. You implied ( intentional or not) that people with tattoos are not educated, for example... yes, I am acknowledging that this might have been an unintended implication on your part. I disagreed with this implied statement that you may or may not have made intentionally.

I am glad that you agree that it is wrong to discriminate against people just because they have tattoos.

When I see Tatts I am ALWAYS reminded of those angry white supremacists in, or out of prison with their face totally covered in markings.....yes even if its just a little pink unicorn standing on a cloud
Really? Not sure quite how to respond to that... Just know that most people you see who have who have them are good people,alright? Hopefully, you do not treat your inked friends as such.

I am reminded that it is MOSTLY just prison fashion being mainstreamed.

With due respect you have just made another ignorant and uninformed statement. Tattoos are NOT prison fashion turned mainstream. Tattoos have been around for THOUSANDS of years. The origins of tattoos have nothing to do with prison.

Check it out. Tattoos actually have a pretty interesting history
www.designboom.com...

MOST Tatted up folks are NOT 33rd degree masons, United States Marines or members of The Royal Guard. Who clearly have real solid reasons for body marking..........but I wont be dating them either.

As I said in my previous post. You name a profession. Any profession. Be it president of the united states or a guy who flips burgers at any random fast food chain and I will be able to point out tons of people who have tattoos. It is not just a certain type of person that has them. Not by any means.... So please... lose that... completely wrong idea.

Are you under the impression that no one has real solid reasons to get a tattoo? Sure, some people are stupid and just go get a random tattoo. No thought behind it or nothing and they end up regretting it. But more often than not, people do actually think. Have good solid reasons.

For example tattoos honoring their loved ones who have died. Names of family members. The OP has the name of his daughter tattooed on his hand. I am guessing his reason has to do with his strong love for her. Though only he can say his exact reason. What ever his reason, who are you or I to decide what is a good reason and what is not?

Honestly, I think Love is a real and much more solid reason than some one being a 33rd degree mason... But really, what business is it of yours what some ones reason is anyway?

My father did 3 tours in Viet Nam and had a couple tattoos he was so ashamed of he had them removed.
His shame was in the disrespectful marking up of his body, and not the content of or what he thought they were going to stand for. He has 2 purple hearts & has the metal of valor. There are 12 other metals but I dont know the meaning of each one offhand, I would need to see them up close......he was dead drunk when he got his tattoos. He seriously regretted it several years later.

This falls under what I said above. Sometimes people make bad decisions and do not think about it before they get one. These are the people who regret it.

I have two tattoos. I spent two years (Honestly) deciding whether or not I even wanted a first one. After I decided I wanted one, it took me another one year to decide what I wanted and just how I like it.... The second one, I took about a year and a half deciding what I wanted. I have very deep and personal meanings for them and to me, my reasons are real and solid... I do not regret mine.... But if I had done as others sometimes do and just rushed in with no thought and just got something... Yeah I probably would regret it... It's all about planning and thinking...

While some don't do this... you should realize that most do plan.

I just thought I would chime in on this thread to share a different point of view.
And I am happy you did.

That does NOT make me ignorant Gimme, as you so readily like to imply, it makes me brave enough to share what I stand for.

Sure doesn't. Never said you were either. I said that some of the statements and suggestions you made were. Though I do apologize to you since it came across as me calling YOU ignorant. I meant to state that some of the things you were saying came across that way. Hopefully I have explained myself better in this post as far as that goes.

on a thread that is clearly filled with the 'tattoos R UBER kewl' crowd.......

OK, now that is just rude... And it is statements JUST like that that I am referring to as ignorant. You are not ignorant, but these statements you keep making, are very much so. You see people supporting this man and wishing him well... so you are just assuming that we all have tattoos and we all only got them because we wanted to be cool?

Ma'am you could not be more wrong... With due respect.... Are you SURE you have friends with tattoos? You don't seem to know much about tattoos or people who have them...
edit on 25-1-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Red Cloak

I think you need to cite these "sources" and "research" before most of us will give any credence whatsoever to this line of BS. I have no tats personally, but I work with physicians, physicians assistants, nurses, pharmacist etc... who are very intelligent, moral people who work for the betterment of many people. Some of them have many tattoos. My own father was in the navy, and has many tattoos, he is a licensed minister. Although anecdotal, my personal experience with tattoed individuals is quite the opposite of what your ephemeral "sources" suggest.

A little off topic, but are you by any chance a gun control advocate? I see the exact same logic, and mental scripting at work. Focus on the inanimate item as inherently evil, and take the human element out completely. I don't think people with tats are the ones that are clueless here.

There is an increased risk of Hepatitis, and other blood bourne pathogens if proper technique is not observed, but the use of heavy metals, and other toxic substances was outlawed decades ago, and is STRICTLY regulated. To posit that getting tattoos directly lowers your IQ, and thinking ability is patently absurd. I challenge you to present just one vetted source that suggests this.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   

You wouldn't happen to a source for these outrageous claims would you?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof
edit on 1/25/2011 by kyleisboss because: i dont know how to type at 330 in the morning

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Binder

I think you need to cite these "sources" and "research" before most of us will give any credence whatsoever to this line of BS. I have no tats personally, but I work with physicians, physicians assistants, nurses, pharmacist etc... who are very intelligent, moral people who work for the betterment of many people. Some of them have many tattoos. My own father was in the navy, and has many tattoos, he is a licensed minister. Although anecdotal, my personal experience with tattoed individuals is quite the opposite of what your ephemeral "sources" suggest.

A little off topic, but are you by any chance a gun control advocate? I see the exact same logic, and mental scripting at work. Focus on the inanimate item as inherently evil, and take the human element out completely. I don't think people with tats are the ones that are clueless here.

There is an increased risk of Hepatitis, and other blood bourne pathogens if proper technique is not observed, but the use of heavy metals, and other toxic substances was outlawed decades ago, and is STRICTLY regulated. To posit that getting tattoos directly lowers your IQ, and thinking ability is patently absurd. I challenge you to present just one vetted source that suggests this.

Whether or not others can accept it or not is not my concern. But the fact is that tattoos in modern societies exist for only one purpose, and that is to make the populace stupid and to ruin the part of their brains that controls moral decision making.

I really don't care what your personal experience on the matter is. I have no need, nor reason to prove what is true, simply because you and so many others like you are unaware that the whole tattooing fad is a purposeful and intentional poisoning of the populace. It's absolutely sad and pathetic that people think they can inject synthetic ink into their bodies and that it has no side effects

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess

It is a SERIOUS 'turn off' for me.......

Well, we all have our turn offs, huh?

and I am stating I wont date a tatted up person, but I would invite them in for coffee or tea or a meal, or to just hang. I have had plenty of educated conversations with people who choose this form of scarification, and most of them think the tats are 'cool'. They got them simply because 'its cool'

Really? Did they tell you that? Or are you just assuming? With due respect, have you ASKED them their specific reasons for getting them? People like that who just get them for no good reason do exist.... But honestly... Most are not like that... At least not around here...

The very fact that you call it scarification just suggests yet again that you really don't know, understand or get tattoos or people who have them and why they get them... Perhaps you do... It's just that you keep making suggestions that suggest you really don't.

Forgive me, but that is just how it comes across.

I also stated I wont date a smoker or a drinker either, so why dont you do ahead and tell me just how ignorant & closed minded THAT makes me........lol

No thanks. I don't put people down like that. And as I said before. I was not calling you ignorant. Just saying that some of the things you said were ignorant. Ignorant in the sense that these things that you said were just wholly inaccurate and seem to be based more on personal opinion rather than fact....

Well at the end of the day we are both more than entitled to our opinions. You don't like tattoos on people. I do. I want to make it known that I respect your opinion as I hope you respect mine.

So I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on tattoos. But hey, though I doubt you will. Feel free to U2U me if you ever want to learn more about tattoos, their history or anything else you might be wondering about this whole subject.

I am always glad to talk.

Peace and love.

On and for what it is worth, a couple posts up. The Member Binder makes some great points if you have not read their post already.

Peace and love!
edit on 25-1-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Red Cloak

Whether or not others can accept it or not is not my concern. But the fact is that tattoos in modern societies exist for only one purpose, and that is to make the populace stupid and to ruin the part of their brains that controls moral decision making.

I really don't care what your personal experience on the matter is. I have no need, nor reason to prove what is true, simply because you and so many others like you are unaware that the whole tattooing fad is a purposeful and intentional poisoning of the populace. It's absolutely sad and pathetic that people think they can inject synthetic ink into their bodies and that it has no side effects

So, in other words, you have no source what so ever for your outlandish claims. Nothing more to offer than your outlandish claims.

Duly noted.

Peace and love.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by honeydick

Thank you for being the first person to ask that

On my right hand I have a outline of the state of Ohio. Inside "Mistake By The Lake" is written. It is just me paying homage to my home, Cleveland. Some people are ashamed to be from Cleveland, I feel you should always be proud of your home no matter where you are from, which is partly why it is relatively big. Also on my right side of my hand, starting at the base of my pinky and extending to just before the beginning of my wrist is my daughters name "Kadence Anne". The reason I have her name is because she came from my hands, as I am proud to be her father. I also plan on getting my next child's name the same way on my left hand...hopefully it will be a boy!

The other tattoo is the funny story
I once dated a girl when I was 20 who thought it would be cute if I got one half of a broken heart on my hand, and she got the other half. That way, when we held hands, they would be together. Cute, if not sappy to say the least. Well...you can guess how things ended, as I am no longer with this person. I got the word's "Soco Amaretto" tattooed above it, extending from just below my knuckle on my index finger to the base of my thumb. It has to do with the song "Soco Amaretto Lime" by my favorite band, Brand New. Needless to say, it was pretty interesting to explain to my (now) wife what this tattoo had to do with

All of my tattoos are personal to me, and I regret absolutely none of them. Even ones that have to do with people no longer in my life. This post wasn't about receiving pity, because thats not the case at all. It happened, their decision is made, and I will move on. It is very humbling however, to receive such insightful (and not so insightful) comments and whatnot from the crowd here on ATS. Yet another reason I am thankful to have stumbled onto this website within the past 2 years.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Red Cloak

If you are unconcerned, have no reason, nor need, Why post at all? You threw your 2 cents in. You bear the burden of proof if you desire to have any credibility. I disagree with your position. If you believe I am so woefully unaware, by all means enlighten me.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
ETA: double post
edit on 25-1-2011 by Binder because: double post

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   

I really don't care what your personal experience on the matter is. I have no need, nor reason to prove what is true

Then you have no reason to be apart of this thread. Or ATS. While thats not for me to decide, it would be pretty foolish if you claimed you knew who killed Kennedy and why, but offered up no tangible proof. If you come up with off the wall claims, and then have no proof to back up these claims, what do you expect?

Maybe if you go to wikipedia and add a false line of info real quick, and post it back here, someone will believe you

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join