It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got tattoos? Sorry, you're not allowed to work for us

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by crkking

Very well put!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by kyleisboss

Sorry to hear that you can't get the job, but it has always been this way in Society especially in jobs where your dealing with customers on a continuous basis. In fact Tattoo's are much more acceptable now than they were 10-20 years ago. If you look at it from the company's perspective if they were to hire you or anyone for that matter you represent that company and their image. Some customers may find different tattoo's offensive, not saying that yours are but people can be very fickle. I have tattoo's but i made sure that they could also be concealed by shirt and pants, some people don't wanna have them covered up and thats fine as well its your body your choice but having them exposed in easily visible areas will always be a red flag for a job or potential job that deals with customers face to face. Sorry you didn't get the job but there are others out there just have to keep plugging away and don't get discouraged, think positive thoughts and positive things will happen, think negative thoughts and negative things will happen.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
My most recent job seeking round,was the strangest yet. The year 2009,i had 2 jobs,after filling out many apps on paper. Then 2010 rolls around and none of the 20 places i went to had paper apps anymore.

It was such a huge change,so fast,with no news about it. Since the employer,no longer sees you before they hire you now,this gives fat slobs,that graduated from college on their parents money a huge advantage over a high school graduate that is in very good manual labor ready working shape.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by tjack

easily. most garages have latex gloves for people with sensitive skin. they often come in purple/blue. these would easily cover them up. and doesnt at all look odd as they are part of standard PPE

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

While the prospect of the tatooed commoner is interesting, it defeats the purpose of its existence: to set you apart.

Caprica tried it. I'd say it's cool, but I'm not sure I would hire someone with them.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
i'm sorry the OP is having a time finding employment. but i think what happened was a blessing in disguise. a company that makes you jump through so many hoops just to do oil jobs for moms & pops is a little too full of themselves.
what they put you through was just the beginning. if you worked there i have a feeling it would have been a never-ending litany of petty rules and procedures being recited in your face.
many companies of size have employed so many pinheads for so long, they have become ridiculous in their demands. paperwork for the sake of paperwork. bureaucratic nonsense. unnecessary pressure on employees heads, making their lives miserable. it ain't worth it, man.
i wish you the best with finding a good paying job at a nice place. hang in there.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

The working world is not a nice place. I have applied to jobs never to hear a peep. My brother recently went on two interviews and they said he would hear from them...and they never called. He had to call then and learn that he did not get the position. Society is a joke...there is no common courtesy anymore.

Good luck finding work bud. I know the situation sucks, but you will find something.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by crkking

Thank you for the very informative link. I was unaware that Ohio was a at-will state. This is yet another reason why I enjoy ATS, it seems I learn more everyday.

As for my commitment to tattoos, that is an interesting choice of words. Commitment is about right. Doing anything that is considered permanent would take some lofty show of faith, and maybe thats what tattooing is all about. While I made the choice to tattoo my hands, I also understood the ridicules that are associated with it. It was a choice I made and accepted. I never intended to try to attain a job where tattoos would matter. I accept full responsibility for any actions or reactions associated with my tattoos. For the most part, people love them (except for employers it seems). The one on my hand is the state of Ohio with "Mistake By The Lake" inside of it. Obviously, I am from Cleveland, and it is my special nod to my special home.

Anytime cashiers or waiters or anyone notices it on my hand, all seem to chuckle and get quite a good kick out of it. While that's not the reason behind getting it, I must say it has inspired more conversations and positive interactions than I ever imagined. In the end, maybe that's a fair trade off for a lifetime of persecution from the corporate suit's.

edit on 1/24/2011 by kyleisboss because: correction

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by illusion987

I would not consider working at a instant oil change place an "upscale job". Maybe I need to set my sights lower is what you're saying?

As for corporate America and their corporate jobs...it sounds an awful lot like jail to me

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by miracleretiree

It is rather strange. I always assumed the hiring process was supposed to be personal and that would be the only way you can ever really get a feel for a candidate. Online apps and some apps done over the phone on a automated system seem very impersonal nowadays. Just letters and spaces. You dont even see the person until you decide to interview them. If theres something you dont like about their appearance, you just wasted your time and theirs

Maybe we're just old fashioned?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Well, I always figured that if an employer couldn't handle my body art, then they aren't really worth sharing my work space with anyway. If it helps, make your own corporate motto and ask any potential employers if they have problems with body art, long hair, or facial hair. If they say yes, tell them it's against your corporate policy to be in a professional relationship with them.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Double-post. Sorry!
edit on 24-1-2011 by Cuervo because: Computer farted.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
why is this even a question>?
first he knew that getting tats there would be controversial. thats why he did it. So when a they do cause a problem he is suprised?
secondly: this is no different than an enployer requiring people not to smoke, or have to be able to lift 50 pounds, ect ect, et al. As an enployer, I have the right to hire who I feel will represent my company as I wish it represented. As long as I dont base my decisions or race creed or color, (which is a whole nother arguement) I am free to choose whom I please. You seem to forget I can just as easily decide the job isnt worth the trouble and expense and not fill it. This is my job not yours.
Thirdly and the most telling: tats or no tats, if your were very good at what you do Im going to hire you.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Just like in some cases employers will ask for your social networking account names so they may check up on you to see what kind of a person that you might be and if they want to spend time and money in you.

I laugh when people say they won't tell the possible future employers what their myspace, facebook or twitter account names are. I guess people feel that that shouldn't be counted against them, but it does just like having tattoos on your hands, neck and/or face. Now a days, it's all about the image.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phedreus
why is this even a question>?
first he knew that getting tats there would be controversial. thats why he did it. So when a they do cause a problem he is suprised?
secondly: this is no different than an enployer requiring people not to smoke, or have to be able to lift 50 pounds, ect ect, et al. As an enployer, I have the right to hire who I feel will represent my company as I wish it represented. As long as I dont base my decisions or race creed or color, (which is a whole nother arguement) I am free to choose whom I please. You seem to forget I can just as easily decide the job isnt worth the trouble and expense and not fill it. This is my job not yours.
Thirdly and the most telling: tats or no tats, if your were very good at what you do Im going to hire you.

This sentiment ebbs and flows with the size of the available workforce, I'm sure.

I have always noticed that, when the available workforce in my town is very low, employers are much less willing to act superior and, instead, often kiss the community's ass at public functions just to get some meth-head working for minimum wage. It's supply and demand and,unfortunately right now, the burden is on the workforce.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
As the old intolerant hateful and unkind bigots die from old age, it will become easier for those with tattoos to get jobs. I have many tattoos but none that are visible while wearing longsleeves.

Getting a job is DEPRESSING. Usually I am fine with freelance but no-one has the cash to spend on graphics at the moment. The entire art industry is suffering HARD because it's not necessary for survival.

I am still seeking a job to this day, which appears to be an impossible feat. Can't get unemployment, can't find a job (submitted over 100 applications) CAN'T EVEN SELL DRUGS (requires money up front) and people wonder why there is so much crime. It's about putting food on the table my friends; and a man will do it no-matter what it takes.

I was discriminated for age recently... I didn't get hired at a business that had only 50+ y/os working there because of my age. Because of it being an art related job it would be impossible to file a lawsuit as they could simply say they disliked my portfolio (which is the opposite of what they told me over the phone).

So; best of luck friend. As those with tattoos become more common, we will be taking the higher positions in the future.

If/when you become a boss and decide to ONLY hire those with tattoos as a way to balance out this disgusting world, I won't tell.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

That is insane! and since you would be working with oil you say? well you would be
wise to where gloves any way as engine oil is carcinogenic ie gives you cancer. so
that sort of gets you off the hook there.
I have ink but not on show but if i had the money i would be covered in tatts.
This is however a sad fact of life.people are quick to make assumption's that your a thug.

I have me shoulders and chest done so never really had problems.
I am in the same boat though with no freaking job!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

You need to read that again. He says he DOES NOT have a swastika tattooed on his.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyleisboss

It is rather strange. I always assumed the hiring process was supposed to be personal and that would be the only way you can ever really get a feel for a candidate. Online apps and some apps done over the phone on a automated system seem very impersonal nowadays. Just letters and spaces. You dont even see the person until you decide to interview them. If theres something you dont like about their appearance, you just wasted your time and theirs

Maybe we're just old fashioned?

Cost cutting.

More or less. Actually, it was put forward as cost cutting, but the consultants who implement the systems charge so much that it's not saving anyone any money.

Anyway, the thing with automated systems and online forms is that they generate more info than you might suspect. Response time is a metric on questionnaires, keywords are scanned for, etc. And once you know that, there's a way to beat them.

Next time you try an online application, open a clean browser (no cookies) and go in via a proxy, and do a screen capture of everything. Just fill it out as john doe, main street USA. Especially do this for the questionnaires. They usually only use one or two, but to check you can go through again with a new proxy.

The proxy stuff is important because IP addresses can be used to match multiple applications, and likewise cookies can be used to show them that you've been there before.

The questionaires tend to be moral/ethical things. On their printout, it'll show a graph with response times to the questions - and the speed you can process information is seen as a massive positive. Study them so that you can click the appropriate box when the question comes up quickly (allow a few seconds time to read). Pick one or two and pause on them a bit, as though you're thinking about it before deciding on the right answer. If everything is perfect, they know you're a robot.

The application forms are a little more tricky, but there's a way to get you to the top of the pile. Go to the company homepage. From the start page, view the source code (on firefox, view menu -> page source). There will be a list of terms for search engines at the top, in the page description. Make note of these. Go to whatever page deals with company history/misson statements/corporate info, and do the same. Then read those pages and take note of what terms they use to describe what they do.

These two things are important because they give you an idea of the type of language that the people doing the hiring are looking for. If you see a phrase like "optimizing the efficiency of petroleum transfer" when they're talking about pumping gas, you get an idea of the type of words that they think are important - and if they think they're important, chances are they're looking for them in job applications. Take note of those words and use them.

So. Write out what you want to say on the application. Use as many of their important words as you can without sounding like an idiot. Read it out loud. Polish it. And have the perfect copy in front of you to type out. Don't cut and paste, because quite often their software will pick up on that, too. Proceed though the questionnaire, giving yourself maybe 5 or 6 seconds to "read" each question.

Their printout will show you think exactly like they do, process information like lightning, and are as moral as the day is long.

This has generated a callback for me 100% of the time. Can't help you with the tats, though. Good luck.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

It might be because of gang related issues. The store owner might fear that you might be assoicated with a gang, or that other gang members will assume your in a gang, and they will cause troubles.
wish you luck tho.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join