It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got tattoos? Sorry, you're not allowed to work for us

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I used to think that tattooed folks were a bunch of degenerates. But my cousin came to live with us and he has a rig and is constantly tattooing skulls on his arms. He is a kind, creative person and has changed my opinion of people with tattoos. I hope you find work with somebody who appreciates you.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by macman

Yes, you have that right.

And everyone around you has the right to call you out as being an ignorant ass for that decision.

Works both ways

Yep, they sure do. But, I hold an ace up my sleeve.
I don't care what others think of me.

I do not have to accept everyone. As you don't have to accept me not accepting everyone.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by kyleisboss

From reading your post, you sound articulate, intelligent and personable. That being said, it is not discriminatory for employers to decline hiring you because you have visible tattoos. This is not a birth defect, has nothing to do with skin color or race nor even gender.

Everyone has personal freedom to alter there own body however and whenever they see fit but by doing so you must realize that there may be consequences for that choice. I too have tattoos. I have 2 that circle both arms and 1 on each shoulder but all of them can be covered up with a short sleeve shirt for the sole reason of employment.

Let me say again that Im sure you are a great person and a hard worker but you may have made a bad decision when getting the tattoos in such a visible and uncover-able place. I also am very sorry the situation this has put you and your family in, I wish the best for you and hope you get a job soon!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
The answer to these kinds of questions is never easy, but vengeance is free. I often ask, when scoping out a new place of business, about various policies the company has for its employees. I think I'll start asking if they require their employees tat's to be uncovered,, and if they do, refuse to do business with them.

1 man's voice is nothing, but together, we are absolutely in control.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

I understand your frustration and your willingness to work is commendable. However, when you sat in that tattoo chair you made a decision. It doesn't matter to a lot people what kind of tattoo you have, obviously it is very visible.

And I am not knocking on you. I have tattoos. I also have them on my hand/wrist where they can't be hidden unless I pull a Michael Jackson. Between my first tattoo (at 17) and my decision to get one that could not be covered 14 years passed. It is a big decision and one that hopefully is never made over night. Mine aren't of snakes, skulls, or satan either. But to society it may as well be.

Although tattoos have become more widely acceptable now, and a lot of people don't think you just got out of jail on a robbery/crack charge there are still right many people who associate them with bad people. There will always be people in society that are scared of folks that go against the status quo.

I get followed in the grocery store or an upper end department store. I expect it, and I am not put out. I usually just wonder how much the "stepford" wife on the next aisle is stealing while all eyes are on me.

They sell makeup that will cover them really well now. You can try that or you can try addressing the issue with any future employers before they address it. Make it so your personality and willingness to work hard outshines your ink. Ask for that one chance to prove yourself.

Other than that there isn't much you can do. It was a decision made and people make snap judgements on that. Right or wrong that's just the way it is sadly. I wish you luck in finding a job so you can continue to support your family.
edit on 1/24/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
congrats on the biggest intro thread in history BTW! I posted earlier but just gotta say well done you had better keep up the trend cos if your newer threads go down hill well...

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I have trouble because my hair is a little long.

I have trouble because my cloths aren't perfect enough.

If these two things are ok to discriminate against, than tattoos are for sure ok for discrimination.

I mean think of how ironic that truly is, I get rejected by Christians because I have sorta long hair.

Discrimination sucks sure, but we need to start from the top and work our way down.
edit on 24-1-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

and a swastika tattooed on my hands,

i would not employ you either - can you guess why ?

He was joking. He doesn't really have a swastika tattooed on his hands. I would try to explain the joke, but your name obviously speaks for itself.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Not that Im trying....but apparently I also bear a stunning resemblance to Jesus as well. Complete with a beard of course....

That alone would be enough to hire me I would think

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

Im really quite flattered to be honest with you. I love ATS simply because there is A LOT of thought put into 90% of everything that goes on here. While that may be a little generous, I learn more through ATS than I do through any other medium. Quite a lot of people do quite a bit of research and create poignant arguments on this website...and all I did was just tell a story of what really happened to me...

I guess I better start research for a follow-up thread soon

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Just a few thoughts and questions. Some may have already been addressed:

Sorry for your disappointment. You'd probably be an excellent employee.

What about your work history? Maybe you followed up, but why are you currently unemployed?

Similarly, do you have a criminal record? Even a teenage dope beef?

It is really a buyers' market...with, of course, the potential employer being the "buyer" and you being the "seller." They can really drill down and pick from LOTS of potential candidates.

Are you potentially overqualified for this job? Are you shooting under your actual potential?

Could this rejection be a signal that you need to maybe start something else - be it getting training in a higher tech industry (diesel or aircraft mechanics) or even starting up your own business?

The folks at the "corporate office" can be notorious bastards....self-righteous little napoleons who truly couldn't manage their way out of a wet paper bag.

Are you sure that the dudes you interviewed with are being up front with you? Is there more to the story that you aren't aware of? Did they use the tattoo excuse to cover for something else...your loud uncontrolled flatulence during the interview, your junk hanging out of your pants, couple of bankruptcies, track marks running up and down your arms, etc...?

Why do you have so many tattoos in places that are easily seen by others?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

I am sorry for you, but I side with those employers who would bar you from working there and there are many potential reasons, none or all of which could apply to you:

1. It would scare away some customers.
2. Some customers will perceive you as being shady or untrustworthy, so will not trust the service.
3. It may reflect a history of anti-authorianism on your part -- not something an employer wants to deal with.
4. It may reflect that you have poor judgment. The employer thinks, "He had to know this would cause him grief down the road, but he did it anyway."
5. It may reflect an attitude of you and against the world and no employer wants to hire someone with a chip on his shoulder.

Advice? Get them removed.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

and a swastika tattooed on my hands,

i would not employ you either - can you guess why ?

i love when people post before reading

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I don't hire people with tattoos that show, and I own a carwash. Sorry.

If you want a respectable job, prepare to look like a respectable person.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I've seen this before, It sucks, at what point do we draw the line? tattoos? Ugly nose, fat, skinny, lots of things to discriminate against that are legal. Seems to me most under 35 yrs old have tattoos. Most of the mechanics, etc I see wear gloves any way, ever heard of the "Mechanix" (sp?) brand of gloves made just for mechanics?

During an interview I like to turn it around on the interviewer. What happened to the last person who was in this position? etc, etc. Screw Valvoline, send the corporate office HR a link to this thread so they can see how their dumbass policy is working!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Hey, I like your post.

I had similiar problems a while back (8 yrs or so). I lost the ultimate corporate job because I don't take cr@p from big shots that come down looking for trouble. Then I was blacklisted in this town, as jobs I applied for where I was overqualified mysteriously evaporated one by one. They don't like those of us with independent thinking, apparently.

Then I went to work for a really cr@ppy outfit that was way below my experience level, me and the boss didn't get along for more than a month. It had nothing to do with tatoos, or long hair, or my skin color. He was just so full of it, and I tried to politely tell him so.

It was because I had experience (25+years) and they felt threatened. Plus I didn't tolerate BS when there was a better way. That does not fit with the typical corporate personnel director.....

So I started my own company, with a little help from some experienced friends. Now, it has it's drawbacks, but I am working steadily, busy all the time, and honestly drawing customers away from the lame bosses I had before. And there are no idiots (like those worried about tattoos etc.) to worry about. The important thing is I did not borrow any money to do it. I just used what I already had.

In fact, since then I've let my hair grow occasionally to be almost like Jeff B. in the Big Lebowski.

Start your own deal doing what you do best. Be strong. Hope this helps.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyleisboss
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

I guess I just figured I would never seek employment from someone where that mattered. I always figured if whether or not someone wants to hire me is based on something OTHER than my work ethic, I wouldn't want to work for them anyways. Im not trying to find office jobs, or bank teller jobs. This is a job where I'd be under someones car all day, out of sight from customers. Its not something that is prohibiting me from doing a task either.

Oh well.

I never allowed my sons to get tats. Not because they make a person bad, but they do make it harder to find work and society, as a whole, looks at people with tats as a different group. As wrong as that is, it's true. I think that anyone that gets tats knows this and does it for that reason. It s not a rap, but it it is a reality. Also, my grand father had tats up his arms, on his chest, legs, and back. He retired as one of the police chiefs in Witicta KS. He told me when I was a young boy 'never get a tattoo'. 'it's the worse decision I made' (and he made a few). True, seems like everyone has them but again, if society deems them 'safe' (cute disney characters on your female ankle or bicept tattoos) your probably ok.
Maybe learn the tattoo trade?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

I have the state of Ohio, my daughters name (Kadence Anne) and a half of a broken heart.

Please, working in a lube change outfit where his hands will be covered with black most of the time????

Please..... are you one of those corporate peabody's as well???

edit on 24-1-2011 by 1SawSomeThings because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

With all due respect (and you are offering reasoned and good advice), I don't buy that people getting tatoos are necessarily going against the status quo. In fact, getting a tatoo is so cliche for wannabe"rebel" that is in itself a "joining" behavior. A real outsider does not feel the need to follow the cliche route to coolness.

It is a bit like doctors and lawyers buying Harleys. Today, buying a Harley is the ultimate symbol of being a wannabe joiner. The real rebel goes and gets a Ducati or something. I think tats are much like that now -- they are so wannabe.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436
I don't hire people with tattoos that show, and I own a carwash. Sorry.

If you want a respectable job, prepare to look like a respectable person.

Sorry can't resist, car wash, respectable job!! WTF? You must be too busy hiring illegals, which is most (90%) of what I see working at a car wash..

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join