It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got tattoos? Sorry, you're not allowed to work for us

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Im sorry but I think its discrimination just like if they wouldn't allow a black person to work for them. Its ridiculous. It doesn't make sense. I can see if they were offensive tattoo's, thats a different story. But come on.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I agree that it is discrimination. Some of you who take the "you should have known better" approach seem to be missing an important point. Here is a perfectly capable (and self-proclaimed) hard-working person who WANTS to get off of employment and get a job (I work in management and I must say, this is actually an instance that is hard to come by. Many get addicted to sitting back and letting the government support them). I live in the States and if this fellow does as well, it just goes to show how bigotry and prejudice perpetuate the poor economic situation in the every-day lives of average people whom, at this point, just want to make a living.

Furthermore, I am in my early twenties and it is true that tattoos are becoming increasingly more prevalent among all groups of young'ns. Go out on a weekend and see how many twenty-somethings you can find with NO ink. This is why it seems ridiculous that quite a number of establishments still implement this "job requirement."

Of course, the state I live in is a "right to work" state, which means employees have virtually no protection from employers. So I guess that's why I'm used to this sort of thing and am becoming increasingly exasperated with it. Oh and whoever it was who said on page 1 that sexual orientation was included in protected among sex, race, and disability... Not in my state, mate.

It's a sad state of affairs we are in when a harmless picture or text on one's body inhibits them from being hired with no other grounds to be had.

In this case, I believe we should take a stance that would be beneficial to apply to life in general as well:

If it doesn't hurt anyone or anything, then what the f*** is the problem?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by MackeyfromMars

Furthermore, I am in my early twenties and it is true that tattoos are becoming increasingly more prevalent among all groups of young'ns. Go out on a weekend and see how many twenty-somethings you can find with NO ink. This is why it seems ridiculous that quite a number of establishments still implement this "job requirement."

I am older than you and I will confirm that there was a time when most people did not have tattoos. Now taking that into account, please look for patterns. Please find out when the rise in popularity of tattoos first happened (I believe it was in the mid-nineties, and it started with the shift in hip hop from NYC Rap to Gangster Rap.)

People who were once in gangs and in prisons were starting to become famous for their artistic talents, and they were the first to display prominent tattoos in pop culture. Many in the Black-American community realized that these artists were promoting what was called "prison culture" with their tattoos on their bodies, faces and arms.

Then tattoos became very popular and part of American culture. So now, in the first year of the second decade of the 21st Century as you say a large amount of young adults now have tattoos. But please compare this to the amount of young adults in other countries that have tattoos, and I think you will find that there is a huge difference.

Now all of this being said, don't you think that this is primarily an American cultural phenomenon? And if so, why? What are they preparing you (the young adults of today) for?

Think about it.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by windwaker
Now all of this being said, don't you think that this is primarily an American cultural phenomenon? And if so, why? What are they preparing you (the young adults of today) for?

Think about it.

Not really. People in New Zealand have been doing it as a family tradition for centuries.

Personally if you think tattoos are a fashion crime I'd suggest you look up A-line flares with pockets in the knees or the 'shell suit'. I'd also say that at one point in time people were disturbed by Fonzie from Happy Days wearing a leather jacket. Everyone thought the youth of the planet was going to start wearing leathers and beating up the elderly and homeless. What happened???

Fonzie is now a harmless internet meme, and leather jacket clad wearing hooligans haven't taken over planet Earth yet.

edit on 27-1-2011 by Pinke because: Typo

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Many in the Black-American community realized that these artists were promoting what was called "prison culture" with their tattoos on their bodies, faces and arms....this is primarily an American cultural phenomenon? And if so, why? What are they preparing you (the young adults of today) for?
Think about it.

I have thought about it and I think you have constructed a straw man that suites your particular vision of the topic at hand. There is far more to tattooing and body modification than than prison ink. And make no mistake...that sweet old lady with the pearl earrings is also practicing body modification.

Pants around yer arse is definitely prison chic. Tattoos have a much longer pedigree in the human condition.
Think about that.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pinke

Personally if you think tattoos are a fashion crime I'd suggest you look up A-line flares with pockets in the knees or the 'shell suit'. I'd also say that at one point in time people were disturbed by Fonzie from Happy Days wearing a leather jacket. Everyone thought the youth of the planet was going to start wearing leathers and beating up the elderly and homeless. What happened???

Fonzie is now a harmless internet meme, and leather jacket clad wearing hooligans haven't taken over planet Earth yet.

I never said that people who have tattoos are dangerous. I just said that in the past it was more prevalent in prison culture.

Also, I never understood the analogy to clothing. You can take clothing off, but you cant take tattoos off (not without a lot of money and cosmetic surgery anyway). Because of this important difference tattoos should not be compared to clothing.

You must also understand that the attempt to somehow equate permanent tattoos with articles of clothing that you can remove at anytime may cause people (especially business owners) to doubt your logic, thus causing them to form bias. Not all business owners mind you, but some.

I am not encouraging this bias, but it exists nevertheless. I am also not trying to offend or accuse people with tattoos. But you must be aware and also a little respectful of a different reasoning, whether you feel it is right or wrong.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Pants around yer arse is definitely prison chic.

This is something to definately look out for and if it becomes part of pop culture in a couple of years time, then I may be on to something.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
Pants around yer arse is definitely prison chic.

This is something to definately look out for and if it becomes part of pop culture in a couple of years time, then I may be on to something.

Really? No disrespect intended, but you're kidding, right?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bcc0365e57c1.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

No. I'm not. Look at what TSA is doing to people and tell me that this cannot become the norm in 10 years time.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
14% Percentage of Americans with tattoos.

2% Percentage of Americans with facial piercings (non-ear)

Tattoos seem to be on the wane among younger folks:

40% Ratio of tattoos in Americans age 26-40 who have at least one tattoo.

36% Percentage of tattoos among Americans age 18-25.

Over half (57%) of non-inked folks believe that tattooees are more likely to be rebellious or anti-social.

Source: Tattoo Facts and Statistics

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Wow, reading comprehension fail. He was saying it's not like he has a swastika or anything.
So, unless you're saying that you wouldn't hire him because he LACKS a swastika, your comment is not valid.

Regarding the OP, I too was surprised, after what the first interviewer told you, that you didn't wear gloves or something for the second interview, but yeah it sucks to have something like that held against you.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
got tatooos? derp? flock to this thread? derp.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I am originally from Southeast Asia and I know how tough it is back there to get a job if you have any tattoo. It doesn't even have to be visible as everybody is required a medical certificate in which people have to bare all literally. But America? wow!! This is quiet new to me.

When I used to live in the South East back when I was younger, I was so desperate to work in Mc D's (don't ask me why lol). But believe it or not, a height requirement of at least 5'4 was a must!. Me, being only 5'0 ft ( you can all laugh it's fine
) never stood a chance! It wasn't as if I was applying for a flight stewardess position! How sad is that for a country full of short people? :/

Good Luck on the job hunting OP.
)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware
got tatooos? derp? flock to this thread? derp.

What kind of tatoos??

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
For those that care:

I actually was hired @ Timken Steel Co. today, making more than twice the amount I would have made at Valvoline. I asked the plant manager if it was ok if I had tattoos, and he thought it was pretty funny. So everything worked out in the end I suppose...

Thanks to everyone who contributed on this thread, even the people who I didnt agree with. Any kind words of encouragement or advice were greatly appreciated by me.

Thanks again!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by kyleisboss

Congratulations

I'm sure its a relief to you and your family, and I'm also sure your work ethic will reflect your gratitude. The company is lucky to have you!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyleisboss
I actually was hired @ Timken Steel Co. today, making more than twice the amount I would have made at Valvoline.

Very cool! Mistake by the lake?

Cleavland Rocks?

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

One day...Cleveland will indeed rock my friend hahahahaha............

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by kyleisboss

Its just stupid. Tattoos are a way of expressing one's self. Where's the harm in that ? It would be understandable if you had, say, an 8-ball, or something that may make the customer feel uncomfortable around you, but a broken heart and your kids name ? I fully intend on getting my kids (when I have kids, that is) names tattooed across the back of my right hand, above the tattoo I already have, which says peace. If I was unable to get a job just because of something as harmless as THAT, I would absolutely snap...
Not that I can't understand where the employer is coming from, but surely one can tell the difference between a tatted up thug and someone who happens to have visible tattoos ?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbled
Not that I can't understand where the employer is coming from, but surely one can tell the difference between a tatted up thug and someone who happens to have visible tattoos ?

It's a cultural thang...as is the word "gibbled", which I have not heard since I left Alberta some 35 years ago, and is a thing of beauty!

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join