It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got tattoos? Sorry, you're not allowed to work for us

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

What harm does it do me?.

Please!.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by windwaker
reply to post by girl_interrupted

I would like to know how many people here of the tattoo culture hang out with people who DON'T have tattoos. Anyone?

The majority of my friends do not have any tattoos what so ever.

I have two friends with covered tattoos (both back).

The rest of my friends are tattless. I'm generally the only one with sleeves etc ... in my group. I don't think anyone cares as much as they used to. I don't live in America.

I get the odd 'I adore tattoos' people who instantly love me.

I get the odd 'why did you do that to yourself?' person who generally asks after a few hours of knowing me.

I've yet to have any kind of persecution complex over my skin art. At least not any more than say persecution over what I'm wearing or my choice of music.

edit on 25-1-2011 by Pinke because: Last sentence

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I am a combat vet.

When I was young and naive,I nearly got my unit insignia tattooed on both of my shoulders,like it was displayed on my uniform.

I am really glad I didn't,because over the years,I realized I was just being used.

I have come to be ashamed of what I did when I didn't know any better.

Glad I didn't do that,cuz I'd have to justify the mistake forever.

I don't live under a rock,I throw em.

And I don't live in a glass house.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by windwaker
reply to post by chiponbothshoulders

Logically speaking, since people with no tattoos don't get rejected for having no tatoos, and people with tattoos sometimes get rejected for their tatoos, then getting a tattoo means you are looking to go from not being rejected to sometimes being rejected...Which means you want rejection on some level.

Agree?

Essentially you're telling me you would get a tattoo if it would bring you less rejection or more acceptance.

Oddly enough I just do what I agree with or believe.

I wouldn't follow a religion to be less rejected, I wouldn't give mine up to be more accepted, and I won't cover my tattoos if they offend someone.

Seems pretty logical to me.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by kyleisboss

and a swastika tattooed on my hands,

i would not employ you either - can you guess why ?

Well, since you didn't read exactly what the OP wrote - it would seem you are holding true to your screen name.

Go back and read what he wrote instead of skimming and making yourself look... silly.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyleisboss
I just thought I would share how wonderful our country has become with all of you today. I, like most Americans, am looking for work. I was laid off on January 2nd, 2009, and have found little, if any work since then. I was on unemployment until it ran out (13 months). Any jobs I have had since being laid off have all been temp jobs. We all know how long those last. I do my usual diligence, and fill out 10 applications a day (on average). The newest job prospect was that of Valvoline Instant Oil Change. You know, those places where you pull in and have someone change your oil, refill your fluids, etc? Not a glamorous job, but a job I would enjoy either way. I, for whatever reason, enjoy nasty, dirty, difficult jobs.

The hiring process for these places consists of an online application, of course. Paper applications do not exist anymore it seems. I did the online app, where there is also a pre employment questionnaire. I was contacted by a store representative and was asked if I could come in for an interview. I came in for a interview, and had a EXCELLENT interview. The store manager told me he would love to hire me, and after talking to his boss, that I would hopefully begin work with them within the next week. He then asked me about my tattoos and if I had a problem covering them up. I absolutely have ZERO problem doing this, sure it may be hot in the summer, but a job is a job. Covering up my tattoos on my hands would seem the least I could do to procure employment.

Now before we all assume that I have satan, a naked lady, and a swastika tattooed on my hands, let me just tell you that is not that case. I have the state of Ohio, my daughters name (Kadence Anne) and a half of a broken heart. The first two tattoos are self explanatory, the other one is a story for another day, and another time. Regardless, nothing that I would deem extraordinarily offensive. The store owner even confessed to me that he has tattoos as well, he just covers them up. He has no personal problem with them, but understands where some could.

To complete the employment process, I was then instructed to go on a second interview, this time with a regional manager. Apparently, if the store manager likes you, you are sent to the next level, where they conduct a second interview. If all managers agree on the hiring, you get hired. I came in for my interview with the regional manager, and again had another EXCELLENT interview. I was again, told by the person conducting the interview, how great of a interview I was. He told me that Valvoline would love to hire me, and after my background check went through, they would call me and let me know when my first day would be. I was pretty content, and waited for the phone call. 2 weeks went by and I heard absolutely nothing from anyone. This morning I called the store manager, and asked if they were still hiring because I hadn't heard anything from anyone. He told me they were still hiring, but could not hire me.

I was told the reason they could not hire me, was because of my tattoos. He told me that he personally thought I would make a great addition, but that it is against corporate policy to have tattoos. If I ever got my tattoos removed, I should give him a call because he would "hire me in a minute". I hung up the phone in disbelief. My 1 year old daughter and my wife will now have it more difficult because I have tattoos? Don't give me that crap that "It was your choice...you should have known better". I am a hardworking, proud individual, that has a great work ethic, was more than capable of doing that job. To be turned down because of tattoos on my hand seems completely discriminatory in my opinion. Add to the fact, that the store manager himself has tattoos that he covers up, and I feel like I was just given a giant middle finger by society.

All i want to do is work and provide for my family. Aren't we allowed the right to do that? Its different to not be skilled enough for a job, or to have some sort of criminal history that bars you from a job. But to be turned down because of physical appearance just makes me feel totally ashamed. I agreed to any concession about covering them up, I would have worn long sleeves and gloves year round, just for the opportunity to put food on the table for my family. Instead, it will be back to the grind of desperately trying to find work. Courtesy no longer exists in today's society. The respectable thing to do would have been to call me and let me know "Hey, we've decided to go in a different direction, thank you for your interest." That would have been fine, but to leave people guessing is terrible. I just thought I would share this story with everyone here on ATS to let them know just how low we've sunk culturally.

i understand how you feel,its a similar situation here in england. bassically my friend who is a grafter got a tatoo on his head i know it sounds mad and your probably conjuring a picture in your head,but its like a small band of writing thats in itallic i forgot exactly what it meant but basicly proud of your country..now hes finding difficulty in getting work because honestly its causes grief.Il give you an example,a few years ago my friends grandma got raided by the police 5 am she is in her 60s,her crime? her lifetime collection of ornamental pigs on show in her front room where they had been for years,and over the last few years its become a muslim dominent area,a few lies and complaints ended with this elderly lady having her door broken off at 5am,her lifetime collection gone and a threat of jail....this is the world we live in

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

I personally think it's discrimation to not hire someone because they have tattoos.

It is, and it isn't.

It's LEGAL discrimination. It isn't a protection under Title VII, so it falls under Right to Work.
Employers can decide for ANY reason (not listed under Title VII) to hire or fire you, just as you can quit for any reason.

If you don't fire fat people, legal...if you don't hire ugly people...legal, etc., etc. Sucks, but true.

Personally, I think it's silly not to expect mechanics to have tattoos, but their company, and THEY decide what image they want to project. YOU may not feel tats on your hand are in any way bad, but others may, and thats the breaks.

Welcome to the forums though, and hope you find good information here on your interests.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

I love how people do NOT read a thread, pull a portion out, and jump all over it. IF you'd read he said the did NOT have a swastika tattooed on his hand.

I do not have tattoos, but my son does. 4" block letters across his back of his daughter's name, done when she was born. He was/is so very proud to be a dad! Not very attractive but its not my back. Its never stopped him from getting a job, and I'm sorry that yours have prevented you from working.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

On the back, easy to cover, on your hands though?

I wonder though, what if you agreed to wear latex gloves? (couldn't do it for hours though)...

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeaderOfProgress
As an owner and operator of a tattoo and piercing shop, I warn people on a daily basis that having tattoos on your hands neck and face can and will affect your ability to find employment. The problem is people do not listen. You were more than likely aware that this could happen, so why did you get them done knowing that it could affect your employment disposition?

Because it simply shouldn't have happened to begin with.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

and a swastika tattooed on my hands,

i would not employ you either - can you guess why ?

Read more carefully, he's saying he does NOT have all that on him. Don't automatically assume the worst of people.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I watched a documentary about Taboos. In Japan there was a school teacher whose all body was covered with tattoos. However no one knew that because he always concealed tattoos on his arms, neck and face with some kind of creme.

It's not like you can't this. It'd be very easy compared to that Japanese guy. You do not have your whole body covered with tattoos, do you?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by dalan.

The way things "should" be is rarely synonymous with the way they "are".....

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Tattoos can be a disqualifyer for the military as well as law enforcement. That is if they are located on your hands, face...and occasionally on your arms and necks (depending on the tattoo and what kind of uniform you are wearing.

Unless you are trying to be a male model...tattoos on your chest are NEVER a disqualifyer.
If you are going undercover...tattoos become a requirement sometimes.

Luckily you can get tattoos removed.

The thing you kids need to know is that you should be smart about your tattoos. Having the letters F, U, C, K written across your fingers is just flat out dumb. or the popular P, A, I, N. You are not a rebel for getting such tattoos and you will not "Bring in the ladies" because of them.

If you want to play it safe, get tattoos of the following:

1. Tattoos on your chest, back, upper arms, and legs
2. Avoid tattoos on your hands, lower arms, face, and neck
3. Avoid vulgar or highly offensive tattoos
4. Avoid tattoos depicting any organization you belong to (to include tattoos showing your patriotism). If you ever want a job being undercover that is. And the military recommends that you avoid patriotic tattoos as well.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
So I am to believe that in a world that puts false value on such things as someones name alone, tattoos being a personal decision one may choose to reflect a belief or concept that means alot to them; isnt as valued?

People pay $80 extra dollars for a T-shirt because it bears the name "Tommy Hilfiger", or "Donna Karen" and this is acceptable to wear on your body much less completely justified in spending a weeks salary in most countries on. A shirt that wont last as long as your own body mind you.

However when someone expresses that they appreciate art and they appreciate their own view of artistic expression and they Love their own bodies to exhibit such art, this morally rehensible and something that should be condemned? The same society that values the works of such people as John Lennon, Roger Waters, Aldus Huxley, George Orwell, and even of all people Karl Marx. Fails to appreciate it when individual members of that same society prove themselves as something deeper and of more value than a mere corporate consumer? But alas how dare we, think freely in a corporate society. Thats wrong to do, unless your selling it on T-shirts and in Music and books?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I work at tattoo shop at night and during the day I work in office. I have tats myself and have to keep mine covered due to the office environment. The thing is in my office clothes you'd never know I had tattoos. My point is, you can't judge a person by what they look like anymore....people will be good people or people will be bad people....regardless of tattoos.

This is weird how our modern society still judge people by their appearance. When will we get passed this social programming of the system itself? Tattoo's have existed longer than our modern society. The art of tattooing is one of the oldest occupation only to be preceded by prostitution. The long history of tattoo's is rich full of culture, the good the bad and ugly.

Here's a point to think about...war has also has been long ingrained in our culture, but yet war is accepted as okay but tattoo's not okay? Sounds to me like our world has things backwards. Tattoo's are not going away, they're actually getting more popular with every generation. Western society has long attached negative sociological problems with tattoo's. However eastern societies accept it as an art and very part of the culture.

Tattoo's are not act of deviancy or should be correlated with societies problems. Tattoo's are actually expression of individualism and sovereignty. In western society, tattoo's have long been synonymous with rebellion and counter culture. Why? Because they give people the freedom of expression...expression from the mainstream and the norm...freedom for the societies brainwashed conditioning...freedom from the system.

The corporate world hates tattoo's, the TPBT hates tattoos...because the ancient application of tattoo's have a spiritual nature to its form. The TPBT wants to keep you in a box every which way they can.

And now you should see the stuff tattoo artists' can tattoo now...its not like your old ma and pa's simple tattoo...its an evolving art form that you wouldn't believe.

Get stewed, screwed and tattooed my friends.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Just heard on CNN about a guy who wore a Green Bay Packers neck tie to work, and got fired for it. His boss said that he didnt want people coming into his business complaining about the tie. What kind of world do we live in. I would've knocked that guy out on the way out the door.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
sport those tats guy, be proud of what you have. It makes you, you. It is part of your character and makes you unique. dont ever be ashamed, because you know who ,and what you really are.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Red Cloak

What studies? I have tattoo's and a degree in Physics and Philosophy, and I have never seen or heard of the studies you reference.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I'm a minister with tattoo's. It's really crazy how discriminated against you can be in my position. Little old ladies think there from the devil and sorts. I think it has more to do with individuality. Expressing yourself. As long as they aren't crude or vulgar. Kinda like a shirt. I wear a blue shirt because I like blue. I don't wear a shirt with a naked chick on it, because I find it offensive. My tattoo's are an expression of who I am and I like them. They don't define me, I define them.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join