It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got tattoos? Sorry, you're not allowed to work for us

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyleisboss
reply to post by Red Cloak

I really don't care what your personal experience on the matter is. I have no need, nor reason to prove what is true

Then you have no reason to be apart of this thread. Or ATS. While thats not for me to decide, it would be pretty foolish if you claimed you knew who killed Kennedy and why, but offered up no tangible proof. If you come up with off the wall claims, and then have no proof to back up these claims, what do you expect?

Maybe if you go to wikipedia and add a false line of info real quick, and post it back here, someone will believe you

Like I said, the synthetic ink lowers IQ.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Alot of companies have policies like this. My first paramedic job was brutal on appearance. Pressed class A uniforms, shined boots, clean shaved, tats covered, no visible piercings other than ears and those could only be studs, no abnormal hair color, no facial hair, no hats, ect ect. This comany had supervisors that drove around to all of our stations in 3 counties to check every crew every morning. The second company I worked for had the same type of policies but didn't enforce them. The second company that didn't enforce it had some of the sloppiest people I have ever met working there.

Alot of companies that work in a way that puts their employees behind the wheel of a costumers car, even if only for a few minutes need to ensure the people pulling up for service can trust the company employees.

You may have been the best employee they ever had, but if your appearance is possibly offensive to the costumers coming in for service, then having you work there becomes a financial liability.

I personally don't think having tatoo's are a big deal but I am not the one cutting the checks every other friday.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
if you work well, should be no problem even if you are marilyn manson.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Red Cloak
Studies have shown that tattoos effect the psychology of the individual that has them. The more tattoos you have, the more the effect. The psychological effect is negative and causes a loss in morals and in decision making ability and reasoning. People with tattoos are less able to discern between right and wrong than people that don't have them.

It is no coincidence that people with tattoos are far more likely to commit crimes than people without them. This has been proven over and over again in research studies. Authentic tribal tattoos that you might see on National Geographic in Africa, or the Amazon, or wherever, do not do this because the inks and dyes used are not toxic to the brain.

However, the inks and dyes used in modern societies for tattooing are extremely toxic to the area of the brain that controls and regulates moral decision making. People that might not have any tendency towards criminal activities can become pure criminals, simply by getting tattooed, and the more you get, the more likely you are to become a criminal.

Tattoos also lower the IQ of the individual that gets them and makes it more difficult for the people with them to learn. Again, the more you have, the lower your IQ will get and the harder it will be for you to learn new things. So it is perfectly and entirely reasonable, justified, and logical that companies would have an anti-tattoo policy.

The fact that so few people in the population are even aware of how extremely dangerous tattoos are to your brain is just another proof of how decrepit society has become. The powers that be see it as beneficial to them for the populace to be dumb and to lack a proper moral compass, so society now greatly promotes this culture and fad where it is so popular and "cool" to get tattoos. Because the tattoos cause severe brain damage.

It really is amazing how people are so utterly clueless these days.
edit on 25-1-2011 by Red Cloak because: (no reason given)

i think you have proven who the real idiot is here. i have never heard such outlandish claims in my life. my husband and i are both covered in tats and i guarantee we are far more educated & intelligent than you are. we tattoo bearers are creative, artistic & tolerant. we tolerate all the stigmatisms that idiots like you throw out there with no proof or scientific back up. tell you what...you beat me in an I.Q test and you can have my car & everything i own. wanna try?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by kyleisboss

My experience with most quicky oil change places is that their work sucks. I have had an oil plug stripped, and nearly lost an engine. Perhaps as an earlier poster noted you were guided away from employment there. Perhaps you are too smart to work for a quik lube, and fate has something better in store?

Go to places that you want to work, and apply whether they have jobs posted or not. I have gotten a few jobs that way. Sometimes an employer might not realize they need you until you bring it to their attention. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but look at government jobs too. They actually have really strict anti-discrimination rules. For example I have seen postal workers with some pretty cool tats. I work in a federal facility, and we have people here with piercings, tats, etc... you name it. If you are the most qualified for the job they almost have to hire you. They have people whose job it is just to ensure they do.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Red Cloak

When your replies have degraded to the 5th grade school yard level it is time to throw in the towel. I believe Carl Sagan would have said that you are mislead by too many cognative biases. There are other sources of IQ lowering agents also, perhaps you should have yourself tested.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by minkey53

You live in the UK. Unlike America, we have jobs here.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
When I was in High School, the grocery store I worked at would not hire men if they had long hair. And you weren't allowed to wear an earring either. And you had to wear khakis and black, not brown shoes.

This wasn't that long ago either. Ultimately your appearance reflects on them. They might not be able to sue over it, but I'm sure ugly and fat people are discriminated against in the workplace too.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Welcome to ATS OP.

Interesting reading this; even the replies I don't agree with.

Ultimately I agree with the side that anything you do with your personal appearance is going to make people make judgements based on you. I also believe tattoos on different genders are percieved entirely different.

My work is the opposite of the OP's though; generally my tatts get me more work than not, but then I'm in media. We're all expected to be a little random.

Just for the record for people stating that tattoos are only for people that think it's 'cool' etc ... They are pieces of artwork that art part of a person to me. Mine all contain memories. I have family tattoos that myself and siblings all have, I have color charts that I use for my work, and one or two reminders (not like the movie Memento reminders).

Tattoos are like clothes, hair dye, or even your furniture. Everyone wears them and has them for different reasons. Funny thing ... would you call a person wearing a suit to be 'cool' a try hard or a loser? If they were just wearing it to fit in? If they were just trying to impress you?

I impress people with my work in my profession. Novel thought that no?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
This story is crazy. I work at a veterinarian with 3 other people including the doctor & we all have tattoos except Doc. My boss (the office manager) even has one on the back of her neck & she wears her hair up to show it off. I have a tongue ring & she has about 10 earrings in each ear. My other coworker has a full sleeve tattooed on both arms & we have never had anyone come in & complain about our body art. My tattoos are in places easily covered just in case I need to (back of my calf, inside of my ankle & my shoulder). Down the street at our bank, there's a teller with a tattoo on the side of her neck. Maybe you need to move to a place where people aren't concerned about the tattoos on your hands & only think about your work ethics/abilities.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
This is a great time for me to ask this question.

I am old-school. I grew up in a time when most people didn't have tattoos. Today I see the new generation of teenagers and young adults with tattoos. As a matter of fact, the majority of them have tattoos.

I could never understand this cultural shift in America. Can I ask: Why did you choose to put tattoos on your body?

I am not judging you by asking this. I am just trying to understand. This is very alien to me and to the people of my generation. Mind you, I am only 37 years old.

There are some women that I will not date because there tattoos are unappealing to me.

On some people, ill-conceived tattoos look dirty. (This is not an insult, it is just an observation.)

My mind perceives them as being dirty. For example, women with their names tattooed across their chest in script, or women with words tatooed on their hands.

It's a real turnoff to me. I just want to know what made the young adults of today choose to cover their bodies in tattoos, and I want to know why they think this is attractive.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

The difference between a suit and a tattoo is that at the end of the day you can take a suit off. Tattoos are forever.

And some people, you must admit, have REALLY BAD TATTOOS.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by windwaker

Just saying my reasons are I enjoy art, and there are so few things a person can take with them every day. Tattoos that represent my family and my passions mean a lot to me. Sometimes just being reminded of my family makes me pleased. I generally don't tell people the meaning of my tattoos, unless they're very close to me or it comes up legitmately in a conversation like this one.

I get asked sometimes (a little mockingly) if they have meaning or if I just got them because I thought they were awesome, and I generally don't answer.

Tattoos to me stem from a time when humans just got things done. We didn't dress up to impress - we just worked damn hard and got things done. If that time existed or not in reality or not I don't know! But I don't associate tattoos with being lazy or such like.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pinke
reply to post by windwaker

Tattoos to me stem from a time when humans just got things done. We didn't dress up to impress - we just worked damn hard and got things done. If that time existed or not in reality or not I don't know! But I don't associate tattoos with being lazy or such like.

I know people with tattoos. I don't associate them with being lazy either. I fully understand that a cultural shift has occurred in America. It started in late nineties.

This is part of the new generation gap, between Generation X and Generation Y. Something caused it, but I don't know what.

Sometimes I think the fallout from 9/11 caused it. There has been a shift in values.

I am learning and trying to accept tattoos on women, because a lot of the younger women I am attracted to (Generation Y or later) have tattoos. I am very selective in my attraction though.

There is one barista at Starbucks who liked me, but I just couldn't get past the tatoos on her hands and neck. I don't think she understands why I am not attracted though, and this is amazing to me. Which means there has to have been a shift in cultural reasoning that occurred, and we just don't realize it.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I love my tattoos and got them all for very personal reasons.

To the person who asked why people get inked... my only response is why not? What does it hurt? To me ... it's no different than hanging up a piece of art in your house or carrying a picture of someone you love in your wallet. The only difference is ... I'm taking my tattoos with me when I die.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
What animal in its natural environment ever produces anything of artistic merit? Art on this planet is intrinsic to the Human condition, it is clearly an expression of humanity. (No elephant in the wild knows what a paint brush is, its after exposure to humans the elephant or gorilla gain that understanding.)

The Corporate world hates Humanity, and any representation of it. Tattoo's being an artistic expression of ones inherent Humanity obviously is not going to be received well. (But the hiring manager down in the PR office with her gaudy flamingo pink three inch fake finger nails and face full of make-up ((Artistic expression?)) is the one who ironically declares the corporate policy of Zero Tolerance to Tattoo's.)

Screw Corporations, let me work a farm! (GROWING WHAT I CHOOSE
)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
the army will still give you a job, im military police, i have 6 tattoos and so do alot of the people i work with and interact with daily, and you like jobs you can get dirty, crawling around in sand or mud happens often, so if you can stand the job and deployments sign up

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I will admit now that I have not read all the pages. I would just like to report another instance of this from myself. When I first began to seek civilian side law enforcement after a short military career in law enforcement in 2002 I tried many agencies surrounding my home in Louisiana. Of course many weren’t hiring at the time so it was a bit difficult. So I started as a reserve officer for the local sheriffs office where I went to school for 4 months (no pay) and worked 80 hours a week for a year (with no pay) to get my experience up. Thankfully I was able to draw unemployment from the military while I was doing this. After doing this for a year I decided to try for a paid subscription with them. Of course they wouldn’t hire me. Why would you if you are getting the same thing for free. So I again began to hunt down jobs with local agencies. The one that stands out the most in my mind was when I went to Kentwood police department and applied. I had a meeting with the chief and presented him with over 40 certificates of training and experience I had to offer. After a great talk and an interview this is what I was told: “I would love to hire you son. I really would as you are more than qualified and maybe over qualified for this job. However due to restrictions in the new laws I have to hire a BLACK officer next. I am not allowed to hire a WHITE officer at this time.” That is an exact quote and as long as I live I will never forget that! So you are telling me that even though I am beyond qualified for this job you are going to turn me down and hire a person who is most likely going to be MUCH less qualified than me to guard the safety of people and on top of that give that person a gun and the right to take freedoms and lives away! It just totally blew my mind and just shattered my belief in the system! Thankfully I was able to find employment with a great department and have been here for 9 years so far with no major problems! So I guess just stick in there and I’m sure you will find work. It sucks but hang in and you can do it!

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by girl_interrupted

I'm glad the OP started this thread. It has answered a lot of burning questions for me.

"Body as a canvas" is a relatively new concept in American culture. To actually see one's body as an artistic canvas on which to engrave art is something that older people don't understand quite as much as the younger generation.

I don't see this phenomenon in other western cultures as much as I see it in the US. I think I am right in saying that there are a lot less people with large amounts of body tatoos (3 or more) in Europe than in the US.

So the main idea here is that people who get tattoos don't care about what other people think about them; the tattoos are personal works of art. Which means that if the amount of people with tattoos are growing, then the need to conform is growing less.

Does this imply the beginnings of our civilizations decline? The need to NOT conform? In some instances I think the need to conform to a societal norm is important. It lends to societal cohesion.

I would like to know how many people here of the tattoo culture hang out with people who DON'T have tattoos. Anyone?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
culture has been suppressed hence the reason for the explotion in bodily modifications which is a norm in native and tribal communities , original societies.

having a body suit my self i can say that i would never get a tat on my hands or neck or any other visible place ,

but i could care less about a boss not hiring for because of tattoos , its their choise and you as an applicant just have to suck it up , its called life ,

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join