It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Faces Jail After Protecting Home From Masked Attackers (with video footage)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I'm from Texas - need I say more?

These guys would not have made it out of my yard, I would have sniped them before they got the 2nd one lit. Especially going after my dog?!?! HELL NO. Mess with me, mess with my old lady, but u mess with my kids or pets you are gonna be on the wrong end of a 12 gauge.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
It's still happening, and it's getting faster and faster - the world is turning topsy turvey. I cannot believe what I am seeing and reading lately.

Cops punch 53 year old woman repeatedly in the face, no charges against the cop.

Masked criminals fire bomb dudes house, dude gets to be arrested for shooting at them to protect his property and life.

And the amount of people saying there's nothing wrong with these outcomes is really making my brain snap.

2 sides to every coin? YE GODS.

Next time I see someone mugging an old lady of her handbag, I'll approach the mugger and say "Excuse me chap, is there a very good reason you need that handbag? Oh don't worry chummy, I am not here to apprehend you, I just need to know if it's a valid reason, so that after you have absconded with the loot, I can ponder this scenario further, and determine the nature your motive. you may very well have a perfectly good reason old boy."

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

You guys are gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.
That IS what I think.
We use guns for hunting...we shouldn't be using guns for this purpose which is why I agree they should be taken away.
Cooler heads prevail.
He has insurance and video evidence.
It might be justified but the law is the law and he broke it.
The situation could have been different if he just let authorities handle it.
The neighbors might be in jail and his place could be rebuilt and he would still have his guns.
He broke the law.

I would have grabbed a hose before a gun and would have been on the phone with 911.
But then again I have had experience dealing with cops on similiar things and learned what not to do and that is taking the law into my own hands.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
oh yeah the guns are the bad thing, he shoulda fire bombed their house instead. that would of been much better.
edit on 24-1-2011 by gougitousakusha because: wrong button

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I agree we should be allowed to defend ourselves as well and I see frogs great points as well.
But in the end we have STRICT gun laws so I am just pointing out how by breaking those his priveledges have been lost.
As a poster just made my point for me above,this ISN'T Texas.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Honestly some of the replies on this are silly.
If this man would have come out of his burning
home unarmed do you think these "masked"
fire bomb throwing attackers would have left...doubt it.
Likely they would have attacked him, and made
sure the place burned to the ground. He did not
shoot anyone just a couple of warning shots. Now
if that was one of the police officers homes 2 dead
masked intruders with deadly intent were shot today
while trying to kill a peace officer with fire bombs at
his home.

link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

I agree we should be allowed to defend ourselves as well and I see frogs great points as well.
But in the end we have STRICT gun laws so I am just pointing out how by breaking those his priveledges have been lost.
As a poster just made my point for me above,this ISN'T Texas.

as other people has pointed out.. they fire bombed him??? that is intent to kill that is enough to get your shot... so what your saying is that its ok.. even tho if he hadn't had fired those shots.. they would have hit him with a fire bomb and no one fired a shot.. so its gravy.. the cops can deal with the body and figure out who did it.. lets see NEVER..

lol.. people like you amuse me.. well our country as strict gun laws.. were only our criminals have gun and hurt people... we don't use them to defend our self's because we get in trouble..

sorry logic states that if he had not of fired those shots they would not have broke and run and their was a good chance he wouldn't be alive.. if by the the report states of him being in his underwear than they intended to kill him.

but according to you its ok because they didn't use gun.. wow...

link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Could you contact the subject of the article and let him know he would fit right in here in Florida, or over in Texas?

I know there's only about 25 of you in Canada anyhow, surely you know one another.
J/K

I don't know a lot about Canadian laws, but I am surprised that it isn't more wide open? All the rural area, hunting, wildlife, and overall mountaineering up there seems to support laws resembling Texas more than laws resembling the UK? I guess we just don't understand it.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SPYvsSPY

He did not
shoot anyone just a couple of warning shots.

I think that was his problem? "Reckless Discharge."

If he had shot and killed them, perhaps he would be in less trouble!

Dead men tell no lies.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SPYvsSPY
Honestly some of the replies on this are silly.
If this man would have come out of his burning
home unarmed do you think these "masked"
fire bomb throwing attackers would have left...doubt it.
Likely they would have attacked him, and made
sure the place burned to the ground. He did not
shoot anyone just a couple of warning shots. Now
if that was one of the police officers homes 2 dead
masked intruders with deadly intent were shot today
while trying to kill a peace officer with fire bombs at
his home.

yeah I got that too.. its kinda funny how that works.. if they guy didn't fire he would be dead.. but he is ok with it.. man some people amaze me.. alot lol..

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I just love how using a firearm to stop an attack is abhorable and indicative of mental illness but apparently launching fire bombs onto a persons property is just something that happens.

The world is all backwards.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Reaper2137

I never said the law is logical...just pointing out that he did break it and he is not above the law no matter how logical or illogical it is.

With that I am not going to reply anymore in this thread......I gave my opinion...like it or not I have that freedom no matter how unpopular it might be.
Have a good day all.
edit on 24-1-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Its seems that the police are there to protect politicans the rich, and those poor helpless criminal elements who are only trying to enjoy them selves or make some money or both, ordinary people who just want to go about their lives without hurting anyone sem to be the targets for both the police and the criminals, its the same over here in ireland if your a total scumbag you will get away with anything you want but if someone hurts said scumbag defending their home or loved one's then its straight to jail ....:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by Reaper2137

I never said the law is logical...just pointing out that he did break it and he is not above the law no matter how logical or illogical it is.

so your saying he has no right to defend his self??? that he is not above the law if it means he is going to die?
if its simple logic if he had not of fired they would not have broke off and ran for it.. there fore they would have stayed and firebombed him some more and he had a high chance of dying.

but this is ok for you! you agree with him getting jail time for defending him self.. now if it was 7 masked guys tping he house or trowing eggs I would agree with you.. but fire bomb.. do you know what those are? I've seen them and made them in a couple courses in the Army.. they are not pretty and are very close to Napalm on being harder than hell to put out. on a person. (depending on what they were made of)

just saying I think the cops need fired for this one..

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

This guy would get welcomed with open arms, given a parade and greeted with a bottle of whiskey and a handgun (texas state law - purchase a bottle of whiskey get a free handgun and vice-versa). Send this guy on down, we may have to toughen him up a bit cuz canadians are too nice.......

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

The problem with this though, is "grabbing a hose" and being on the phone with 911, would not have stopped the ongoing attack he was under. They only left BECAUSE he came out and fired off a couple of shots. Had he come out with merely a hose, it well could have been HIM who was set on fire, or attacked by these multiple assailants. His life, and his pets were under immediate threat.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Ah man....you are dragging me back in!!

My issue with this is our gun laws.
We don't allow guns to be used for protection,only in rare cases are they allowed for protection.
In cases like these cops use discretion.
If they knew this guy in a negative light or if he was *on the radar* so to speak then they won't be allowing him to *protect* himself if he is deemed a wreckless individual before this happened.
Seeing that he was an instructor on firearms I doubt that is the case.
I am actually against gun control which why this case is a tricky one for me as it pertains to our gun laws.
Only in rare cases is it ok for protection.
According to our laws...he broke it because we don't issue guns for protection.

This thread could have been called are Canada's gun laws sane or do they prove that this is a police state??
Cheers.....now I am outta here.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Good points.

I would say that in this case though, PARTICULARLY based on the video evidence, that the local PD did NOT make a good judgement call on this one. Confiscating the guy's guns for using them against a FIREBOMBING attack, which well could have killed him in a brutal fashion, is really unbelievable. And then the crown recommending him be JAILED for it, to add insult to injury?!?

Hopefully when this does go to trial and a judge and jury views this, they will recognize the actual NEED this man had to defend his life in the immediate situation, and hopefully they toss this out and return his guns to him.

I hope others will view the video footage here and chime in, one way or the other...

Should this case be an one of the 'exceptions' in which use of a firearm for self defense is warranted?

Or was the PD justified in confiscating his guns and firearms license, and charging him with a crime here?
edit on 24-1-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: typo

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
in Missouri, you come into my yard swinging a stick in a threatening manner, i shoot you dead and you just go to the morgue, case closed

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
If someone tried to hurt my family OR my dog on my property I wouldn't hesitate to shoot them in the ass.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join