It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Faces Jail After Protecting Home From Masked Attackers (with video footage)

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Jonas86

Ya most definitely, its actually very intimidating at times. When I was a kid and we were messing around on someones property, whether it was building forts in woods or just messing around, you always had to keep in my mind you can get shot. So if you hear someone yelling you better run lol. I rarely ever hear of trespassers being shot out in the country, but even if you do its usually not a big deal. Seems its problematic in the urban areas though. Like you said, I wouldn't shoot to kill, unless I know the person has violent tendencies and is up to more than just trespassing. I may be biased at times and thats because our house has been robbed on 5 separate occasions, not to mention the property is fenced, gated, and guarded by dogs. Can make one very angry indeed.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Some states have very good laws for this sort of situation, and some have very BAD ones. Sounds like he probably lives in the wrong state. Where I am, I do not have to retreat, and can defend, including with lethal force, myself, my home and property, my family, even neighbors. Time we got better castle laws in all the states, but it will only happen if the people of those states without them fight for it.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
This was done in Canada and we have different gun laws.
I have found someone in my home once and laid a whooping on him without charges.
I agree with the authorities on this one...take his guns away.
This was an ongoing dispute with his neighbor and regardless of the situation...pulling a gun was a bad call on his part.
There is warranted force and unwarranted force....pulling a gun was not the right decision in my opinion.
We aren't Americans...our laws are different for a reason...if the first thing this guy thought of was to pull a gun then I am glad they have been taken away.

No offence to our gun toting American friends.
edit on 24-1-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

Alright, so these people were throwing fire bombs at his home, and you think he was wrong to bring a gun into the situation? Seriously? If someone was tossing flaming bottles at your house, would you not want the right and ability to shoot them? Statistically, the more controls on guns, the more violent crime, and that's true for any country. The easier it is for citizens to own guns, and use them, the less crime. That isn't an American idea; that's a simple truth for all people. We have the right to defend ourselves from attack, and if that right is taken away, the result is chaos. Something to think about.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

reply to post by Frogs

You guys are gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.
That IS what I think.
We use guns for hunting...we shouldn't be using guns for this purpose which is why I agree they should be taken away.
Cooler heads prevail.
He has insurance and video evidence.
It might be justified but the law is the law and he broke it.
The situation could have been different if he just let authorities handle it.
The neighbors might be in jail and his place could be rebuilt and he would still have his guns.
He broke the law.

I would have grabbed a hose before a gun and would have been on the phone with 911.
But then again I have had experience dealing with cops on similiar things and learned what not to do and that is taking the law into my own hands.

So, you would walk outside, facing multiple assailants, and grab a hose? What happens when they toss one of their flaming bottles at you, instead of the house, and suddenly you are on fire? Why should he have to rebuild his place, when he had the means to drive them away? By rights, no matter what the laws there state, he should have shot them DEAD. Attacking his home, threatening his life, and that of anyone else in his home; they are lucky to be breathing. No offense, but you need new laws on this.

I guarantee you, someone tried that at my house, they would not be fleeing; they would be bleeding out on the lawn, from holes made by .45 hollow points. Anyone that threatened my house, and the lives of my family, better be prepared to die.This man did the right thing, and should not be arrested for that. He showed amazing restraint in not killing them.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by alaskan

Because guns were only invented for their use in vermin control and hunting, not this myth of "defending one's self..."

Vermin control.....like shooting those creeps dead?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

reply to post by Frogs

Well Frogs,
I come into this thread from having experience being a vigilante.
I beat a guy who raped a friend and was convicted for it.
I beat a guy who ran into my home wanting to beat the crap out of me and they let me go.

You did the right thing, both times.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Nope, doesn't add up. Why does he have so many cameras on a simple piece of property that is clearly in a rural area? Why such paranoia? Who lobs 7 molotov cocktails for the hell of it, let alone choosing as their target, the most well surveilled homestead in the county.

No, either this is a stunt of some sort, or the property owner is in trouble for other things, or involved in some sort of seedy affair.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Sphota

Security camera systems are pretty cheap these days, and lots of people have them. I got mine when some snotnosed punk kept coming onto my property and vandalizing crap. Cops wouldn't do anything about it, until I bought the camera system, caught the idiot on tape messing up my stuff, and showed them the tape.... Obviously that was back when i was still an idiot and thought the cops were there to help us lol.
edit on Thu, 27 Jan 2011 03:04:28 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I hope he's got a good lawyer

and takes absolutely everything they have.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Never mind, you Canadians are too complicated.

Please excuse me.

'
edit on 27-1-2011 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I believe in gun control, and IMO gun control involves proper trigger squeeze and hitting what you aim at. But you have to abide by the laws of the land, and unfortunately our brothers to the north don't agree with my point of view, which is perfectly alright as that is their right.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by rcanem

Thankfully not everywhere in the north is brainwashed sissified cities though lol. I would not have moved here if that was the case

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I have lived as far north as Chicago, way too cold for my blood.

If that had happened around here it would have ended badly for the fire bombing fools.
edit on 27-1-2011 by rcanem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

You guys are gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.
That IS what I think.
It might be justified but the law is the law and he broke it.
The situation could have been different if he just let authorities handle it.
The neighbors might be in jail and his place could be rebuilt and he would still have his guns.
He broke the law.

I live in Canada, about 7years ago I was building a new house. The municipality sent in a contractor to run the sewer line and water line from the mains to my basement (hired by municipality). Normally the contractor sends half the bill to you and half to the municipality. While the contractor was there the guys working for him decided to steal 6 fruit trees using the track hoe. I had witnesses and video proving his guys took my trees. The police said I'd have to goto small claims court to sue them for the $1200 for the trees. Since the bill was for $1100 I told the contractor I wasn't paying until either he or his crew replaced my missing trees. He refused and we were at an impass,

6 years pass and I get a call at work from a neighbour telling me they are digging up my yard. I rush home and catch the owner of that company using a backhoe to dig up my yard. Police get called and they tell him to leave but won't press charges. He told the cops we had a long standing feud and under Canadian law they won't get involved in feuds. So I couldn't press charges against this guy for destroying my yard, Smashing the side of my truck with a shovel or threatening to kill me and burry me in the hole (even with various neighbours as witnesses) because it's a feud. The cop made him leave because he was concerned it would escalate in violence level. I even talked to the regional RCMP head and found out they do not press charges in a feud unless there is physical injury/death or a firearms charge.

It's possible that the OPP (Ontario Police) wouldn't have come out if they know it's a ongoing feud.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by Sphota

Security camera systems are pretty cheap these days, and lots of people have them. I got mine when some snotnosed punk kept coming onto my property and vandalizing crap. Cops wouldn't do anything about it, until I bought the camera system, caught the idiot on tape messing up my stuff, and showed them the tape.... Obviously that was back when i was still an idiot and thought the cops were there to help us lol.
edit on Thu, 27 Jan 2011 03:04:28 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

Lots of farmers have videos on the farms otherwise it's too easy for the bad guys to come steal gear. Friend of mine put cameras on his farm when he kept getting people braking into his barn to steal tools or cutting the padlock off his diesel and gas storage tanks. Heck in southern alberta most oil and gas wells have cameras since so many people have been stealing the solar panels off the roofs of the meter shacks.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

I hate to say this, but that is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. In my state here in America the guy would have been ordered to return the property (trees) and probably hauled in to jail. The fued would never start. If he did come back and start digging up the yard, communicating threats, and vandalising a truck, he would go back to jail.

What do cops actually do in Canada?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

Speeding tickets, domestic incidents, lost children, DWI, random trafic check stops looking for lights out or no seat belt. Basicly the ones that need no investigation.

Funny thing is the corporal at the same detachement was called by my wife about 7 years ago (he's since retired). I dropped into the local bank to visit my wife and while we were talking a guy came in and tried to withdraw money from his account, His account was already overdrawn so obviously they told him no, he then demanded they hand over $200 because he needed it to buy beer. They refused and he said "wait here why I go get my knife from the car then I'll make you give me the money". As he went out the door I locked it and the staff called corporate security and the local RCMP detachement. The corporal was who they talked to and he said they'd send someone over after the danger was gone. The guy beat on the door and tried the handle for about 15 minutes while holding a machete before he got back into his car and drove away. Then true to his word that is when the corporal came out of the station (kitty corner to the bank) and walked over to talk to my wife and the the other 2 witnesses, I was watching out the window and I could see him looking out the window of the station. He was given the guys name (he was a regular bank client) and a copy of the video feed from the cameras and then he told my wife that they wouldn't be pressing charges against the robber because he would just plea it down to a misdomeaner or even get off scott free since obviously alcohol was a factor. The bank was pissed off but theycouldn't even force the RCMP to press charges so instead they closed his account and sent him a letter saying that both him and his wife are barred from entering or having an account with that bank ever again.
edit on 27-1-2011 by exile1981 because: spelling

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Dude, Cananda needs real cops and/or guns. As dangerous as America seems to be, it is infinitely preferable to that type of fiasco. See in America the crazy machette wielding bad guy gets arrested.

Despite what you see in movies most bank robberies in America involve a note and not a gun.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by exile1981Lots of farmers have videos on the farms otherwise it's too easy for the bad guys to come steal gear. Friend of mine put cameras on his farm when he kept getting people braking into his barn to steal tools or cutting the padlock off his diesel and gas storage tanks. Heck in southern alberta most oil and gas wells have cameras since so many people have been stealing the solar panels off the roofs of the meter shacks.

A lot of the bigger farms around here have some kind of security cameras at least around their tools and equipment areas.

I don't I have big dogs instead they are free to roam about the area so to speak. I also don't store a lot of fuel or have many expensive toys yet since I am rtelatively new to the business - usually its a dead racoon or possum I found that they rousted out. I can see how some guys with a big dollar investment might need cameras - heck I was thinking of installing one in the barn just to monitor the girls when they get close to birthing so I don't have to sleep out there anymore. However, the costs in installing the cables and such seems high for the payoff at this point.

Anyway, when the dogs bark at night I get out the spotlight and go out armed with a 12 guage full of slugs and .45. I will shoot to kill as is my right here! I scare really easy.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81

Dude, Cananda needs real cops and/or guns. As dangerous as America seems to be, it is infinitely preferable to that type of fiasco. See in America the crazy machette wielding bad guy gets arrested.

Despite what you see in movies most bank robberies in America involve a note and not a gun.

In fairness the guy was drunk, hopefully I won't get in trouble for this but I over heard him telling the wife that he needed to take out the money to pay for the kids sports camp and his wife was going to be mad if she found out he had spent it all on booze. He didn't even try to use the machete to get the door open (thankfully as he would likely have hurt himself) most of the stuff he yelled why banging was along the lines of "I got my knife, open up".

Definately not the brightest criminal out there. In the interest of being honest the reason the corporal felt the guy would be able to plea it down and not goto jail was because of his race. The cop said it was typical behaviour for that ethnic group and that generally the judges just gave them slaps on the wrist. I disagree because I have friends of that group and never once have I seen them get drunk and try to rob a bank. I figure it was just an excuse because he didn't want to do the paperwork. This is the same corporal who yelled at my wife for handing funny money over to the RCMP that someone tried to pass at the bank. He was mad and asked her if she realized how much paperwork she was causing the officers of the detachement to do with counterfit currency she was bringing them. It was like 6 or 7 bills in a one month period.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join