It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oprah's OWN Network Plummets in Ratings Two Weeks After Launch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
*That's the title of the link at Hollywood Reporter.
Not sure where this discussion would go ...

So .. Oprah has her own network. Went on air two weeks ago. It has taken a HUGE ratings drop. Dunno if this is a bump in the road and things will smooth out as time goes by or if this is a sign of things to come. The shows with Oprah in them do okay. The other shows on the network ... not so much.

Opinions ??

Yes or no? Bump in the road and it'll smooth out .. and we'll all be stuck with OWN on our TV Guide?

Yes or no? It'll fail. But Oprah will rise from the ashes of her network because she's a good businesswoman?

Yes or no? She'll come up with 'explosive' things to put on her network to try to gain viewer interest?

Hollywood Reporter - Oprah's OWN Network Plummets in Ratings Two Weeks After Launch

Gayle King's daily morning show, a simulcast of her satellite radio show that launched last week, is off to a slow start, with viewership dropping from 154,000 on its first day to 86,000 on day five, according to the Post.
Reruns of Dr. Phil are doing better, averaging 250,000 viewers, the paper said.

Gayle King has had failed talk show attempts before this. She was a CBS anchor in Hartford CT when I lived up that way, but then attempted a few times to do the talk show thing .. with Oprahs' backing. This AM I checked in on Gayle Kings show. YUK. She was dressed like a hollywood hooker and had some strange man/woman talking about his/her sex life. I couldn't follow it.

Inside TV

Oprah Winfrey’s new cable network is having some early growing pains.

After exploding out of the gate in the ratings (and on a Saturday, no less), viewership for OWN has declined significantly.

While OWN’s premiere averaged 1 million primetime viewers last weekend, Sunday dropped to 822,000. Monday fell to 394,000, followed by Tuesday hitting 315,000. In the network’s target of women 25-54, OWN went from an opening night rating of 0.6 to a 0.2 at the start of the week.

Deadline

As OWN is yet to bottom out, the network has fallen behind all of its female-oriented cable competition, including Lifetime (793,000), Oxygen (565,000) and WE (331,000).

Oprah is smart. She's tough. I don't know if she over extended though.
She's entering a flooded market. I'm thinking time will tell.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
yea looks like bad news for opera and her network . There is alot of competition + recession + global paranoia lol this is not the time to start a new network . Espically with such a broad target audience . The numbers don't lie she either has to adjust to viewer deflation or waste money airing useless crap to hold pride.

These numbers will force her to change programming and the context of what she has and her target audience . She will be foreced to make changes or face million dollar loses .

time will tell , and so far its telling failure for OWN

1 million primetime viewers last weekend,

Sunday dropped to 822,000.

Monday fell to 394,000, followed by

Tuesday hitting 315,000. In the network’s target of women 25-54, OWN went from an opening night rating of 0.6 to a 0.2 at the start of the week"

its like someone has a steak in your heart with a giant hammer , every day that goes by and you see these numbers drop must be so painful for the share holders ....im not a fan of opera nor her network . But i wish well to her regardless it must be tough and the mental issues she must be facing right now . Oh well she has enough money to bail them out

edit on 24-1-2011 by seedofchucky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
It's going to take her slow and steady pounding to earn audience share. Her target audience is made up of the most habitual viewers during the television schedule....and they already have their routines established.

I think she's savvy enough to pull it off, but she'll need to stick out the rough times to do so. Or else, she'll cut her losses, lick her wounds, and come back to the networks, strong as ever.

She isn't just a person, she's a brand...and that brand has power (and an audience), so she'll do fine either way.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Not to worry!! Now she is disclosing that she has a sister that she 'NEVER KNEW ABOUT' no doubt a bit of info saved to boost ratings and get attention.
edit on 1/24/2011 by bourbon2nite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
This has been on my profile since joining...

Stuff I Don't Like:
Liars
Golddiggers
People who take advantage
Close minded people
Oprah Winfrey
Loud people
Oprah Winfrey
People that judge others
Oprah Winfrey

nuff said.... I am NOT a fan of the oprah..

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
OWN always seemed like pretty strange initials to have for your new network.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eyesofthemothman
OWN always seemed like pretty strange initials to have for your new network.

What because it is nwo backwards?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
A lack of original programming and overexposure of her selected programs will doom her network. She has the money to ride the tide and wait for quality programming to develop. Most of cable TV just shows repeats of the same programs with occasional marathons of the shows you have already seen.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by joeandandi

Yep, eventually though, she'll realize that her real place is on the big networks. As I mentioned, during the time this new network is getting started, her audience has already changed their routine (probably court shows)...

So, she has to do some major stepping to bring over her former audience of housewife zombies who do everything she said in the past.

top topics

join