It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Probes send back the latest trove of Gorgeous Shots of Our Universe!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Confirmation of the existence of a supermassive black hole in the center of galaxy M84. A spectrograph mapped the rotation of gas at the galaxy's center and the colorful zigzag pattern offers the evidence. If no black hole were present, the line would be nearly vertical

The spiral galaxy M51, dubbed the Whirlpool Galaxy, seen in near-infrared light.

The Andromeda Galaxy is more is than twice the size of our Milky Way, measuring over 200,000 light-years across.

NASA's Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity investigating a crater called "Santa Maria," which has a diameter about the length of a football field.

Source: www.cbsnews.com...

There are some more shots and infomation at the main source site. Please check it out.

As always, what do you say? What can you say? Just best to look at and admire.

And, hope that the Human race can keep from wiping ifself off the map and be able to move forward-meaning out into space. The sooner the better IMO>

Enjoy.
edit on 1/24/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

My mind boggles thinking about all uninmaginable wonders of our universe.

I wonder what and how much is out there?

A scary and exciting thought.

S&F

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

As these photos and info come in each week I am more convinced there has to be something More out there-wait for us to find----or become a part of.

What a shame if we Humans are the only ones---capible of leaving it's planet etc.

Guess we need to get to work on being able to go to other places and start to colonize the universe. At least our little part of it.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
The Universe never fails to amaze and wonder in it's variety and beauty. I really enjoy seeing new images like these.

As for life the Universe will be teeming with life, from microscopic to the civilised societies beyond our imagination. However, it may be that the distances between us, the differences in time scales, the rise and fall of civilisations, the failure to evolve, and more reasons than we could list if we all got together, plus a few others we couldn't imagine, make it improbable that other civilisations will communicate with us directly, or even by chance.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Rob37n

As for life the Universe will be teeming with life, from microscopic to the civilised societies beyond our imagination. However, it may be that the distances between us, the differences in time scales, the rise and fall of civilisations, the failure to evolve, and more reasons than we could list if we all got together, plus a few others we couldn't imagine, make it improbable that other civilisations will communicate with us directly, or even by chance.

Excellent point(s). The things that would have to occur perfectly in order for a same or similar race to evolve and make contact makes it almost, if no completely, impossible.

But, what if we Humans are the bottom of the barrel? The messed up DNA strand that no one wanted and they cast us off to Earth. That would suck---being at the top of the Heap to the bottom..... by one visit.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Would it matter even if that was the case. For all the terrible things in the world, mostly man-made (I exclude women in the main) like war, corruption, violence, etc., there is still the wonder in the world and across the universe. From a flower breaking through in the spring, to a baby's laugh, the wonders in the world of mountains, sea's, lakes, and such, through the majesty and precision of the solar system and the whole of creation off as far as the eye, aided and unaided can see, there is such wonder out there.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Rob37n

You make a wonderful point. I guess I was looking strickly from the Human/Me perspective. In the big picture, you are right, it wouldn't matter.

Hell, if you want to address the Alien/UFO folks one could even make the arguement that we may not be there biggest threat or fear and that the real enemy is something we take for grated-say ants as an example.

They just can't seem to over come ants. Go figure. Humans--- No problem.

new topics

top topics

join