It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florala: Masonic Capital of the World?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
While on my vacation I drove through a little town on the Alabama Florida line named obviously enough Florala. While driving through the town which would remind you of Mayberry I noticed a sign along the roadway(which I wished I had taken a picture of with my phone) that proclaimed "Florala home of the Masonic Celebration". So when I got home tonight I decided to look it up. Here is what I found

The Masonic celebration is observed on June 24th each year which is the anniversary of Saint John the Baptist. According to Masonic traditions this day is designated as days for festivals, installations and celebrations. On June 24th the Masonic lodges of this area have publicly installed their newly elected officers and have planned entertainment for everyone from the youngest to the oldest person present, whether they belong to the Order or not.

On Saint John's Day, June 24th, 1717, the first Grand Lodge in England was established and although it has been 253 years since that momentous event the picturesque City of Florala has entertained thousands of visitors. This celebration is believed to be the oldest continuous Masonic Day Celebration in the world.................................................

More Click Here

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 06:58 AM
link   
It's certainly not the Masonic Capitol of the world....as there is no such place. There is no organized "world-wide" Masonic Order...simply autonymous Grand Lodges who are in "recognition" with one another.

Florala (I've been there by the way) apparently has a nice celebration on or around St. John's Day. Louisville KY has a St. John's Day Picnic on the grounds of the Masonic Home every year...as do several other places. The Louisville Picnic is attended by several thousand each year and is a lot of fun.

Regards

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
While on my vacation I drove through a little town on the Alabama Florida line named obviously enough Florala. While driving through the town which would remind you of Mayberry I noticed a sign along the roadway(which I wished I had taken a picture of with my phone) that proclaimed "Florala home of the Masonic Celebration". So when I got home tonight I decided to look it up. Here is what I found

The Masonic celebration is observed on June 24th each year which is the anniversary of Saint John the Baptist. According to Masonic traditions this day is designated as days for festivals, installations and celebrations. On June 24th the Masonic lodges of this area have publicly installed their newly elected officers and have planned entertainment for everyone from the youngest to the oldest person present, whether they belong to the Order or not.

On Saint John's Day, June 24th, 1717, the first Grand Lodge in England was established and although it has been 253 years since that momentous event the picturesque City of Florala has entertained thousands of visitors. This celebration is believed to be the oldest continuous Masonic Day Celebration in the world.................................................

More Click Here

This may be a little off topic, but I like how you describe the place like "Mayberry", but the people who live there describe it as "the picturesque City of Florala". That's funny. Maybe a little town propaganda to get the vacationers to stop off the highway.

new topics

join