It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to Announce New Discovery by Hubble Space Telescope

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
The Big Reveal!

Well, there it is, the announcement has been made. Some might find it uninteresting and insignificant but to others this is an amazing discovery.

Personally, I find it fascinating that we are able to literally look back in time. The galaxy we are looking at may have had intelligent life and even civilisations rise and fall in the time it has taken the light to reach us. If we were to see it as it is 'today' it would be a completely different place.

It gives you a sense of how massive this universe is and the possibility that we are one of the first civilisations in it with many more to form over the coming millennia. Just because we haven't found life yet, doesn't mean it has never existed or never will.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Weird, Space.com is down, never in the years I have been going there known that to happen!

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Test Page

This page is used to test the proper operation of the Apache HTTP server after it has been installed. If you can read this page, it means that the Apache HTTP server installed at this site is working properly.

If you are a member of the general public:

The fact that you are seeing this page indicates that the website you just visited is either experiencing problems, or is undergoing routine maintenance.

edit on 27/1/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Strange, the link doesn't work but it can still be accessed through Space.com or this new link

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I think that's a wonderful find. And does bring an intriguing thought that if there's any more out there just as old or older, just IMAGINE what we could learn. I think it's astonishing that they found a galaxy almost as old as our universe its self. A great find in my book!

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Mista25

I starred ya on this. While 'spectacular' finds may be a matter of individual opinions, one can't say that spotting a galaxy 13.2 billion light years from Earth is something insignificant.

I look at this another way. I do not believe we are the center of the universe. I only know that galaxies are moving away from us in all directions. This same movement would be observable from anywhere in the universe. While the latest find is 13.2 billion LY away, there is nothing saying that another civilization is looking at the same point in space 13.2 billion LY opposite to where we are and they're probably experiencing the same thing about all galaxies moving away from them in all directions.

Maybe there are people who want NASA to release a Hubble photo of Nibiru or picture of 'artificial' lighting on the Titan. Whatever may be the case, NASA continues to unfold mysteries of deep space in an unprecedented fashion. Hubble is just the pioneer of things to come. It's my prediction that the JWST will find things that will stun us as much as the images the HST has stunned us in the last 20 years.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
i know i know...its a great discovery...but seriously..announcing it days before without clues etc as usual is so sick..they could have just wrote an article come on

we humanity need not to find the oldest galaxy..but the closest relative out there

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Nothing gets made in America unless it benefits DOD.

The biggest discovery may be that Hubble can be used to direct sunlight amplified at points on Earth. Like a magnifying glass burning ants.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith
Why all the hype?

Ask the media.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by famalhut

Originally posted by DataWraith
Why all the hype?

Ask the media.

Media hype over this? really? I haven't seen any.

There have been a few "science page" stories on a few news websites, and of course the science-oriented websites and magazines have covered it, but this is the kind of stuff those specialized media outlets are supposed to cover. It is interesting enough for that.

I wouldn't expect an scientifically interesting story (yet not interesting to the masses) like this to be covered as a "top story" by the general media, and it wasn't.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join