It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to Announce New Discovery by Hubble Space Telescope

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I really haven't paid attention in the past, but is it normal for NASA to have these "announcements" so often?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

Yes, everytime they push the limits of Hubble and discover some new gas, or if they bomb other planets to look for water etc etc

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic

Originally posted by fiftyfifty

Does this kind of announcement happen often? Any ideas what the announcement might be? I'll be keeping my ears and web browser open on Weds!

There's an announcement every month or so, they're usually quite dull, and nothing worth getting exited over. (though that's never stopped us before!
)

What ever it is will probably be leaked very shortly anyway, as is the norm with these anouncements, cheers for posting it, I still look forward to hear what they have to say, even if it'll be something about dust.

I agree with 'Acidtastic'; NASA regularly holds these press conferences -- but I disagree with the "dull" tag

Sure -- these announcements are not "life changing" or even big news in general, but they are interesting in their own way (albeit sometimes in a more esoteric manner).

...and, yes -- Some ATS members in the past have definitely overreacted when hearing that NASA has scheduled a press conference (I'm not including the OP -- he or she knew enough to ask whether or not NASA regularly holds these).

edit on 1/26/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith
Nasa and their 'announcements'. I am quite excited about some of them but really? Why all the hype?.

Nasa = Yawn (nothing really Globally exciting these days).

NASA doesn't necessarily hype these as much as ATS members have in the past.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Well big announcement or not, it's only an hour and a half away. I won't be able to find out until later on tonight as I won't be near a computer. I'll check back in tomorrow am!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Oh shoot I came looking directly for this thread or another thinking that it would have been announced by now, I suppose I could check in class as my curiosity has been peaked.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
anyone have the link for the stream related to this announcement? I'm in a bit of a hurry

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by LipanConjuring86
anyone have the link for the stream related to this announcement? I'm in a bit of a hurry

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Think I'm gonna tune in see what they have found

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

Thanks! Is this announcement audio only?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by LipanConjuring86
reply to post by Shenon

Thanks! Is this announcement audio only?

Nope. Started just now.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Seems like they found a "Object" (Galaxy) which dates 500 Millions after the Big Bang. Means they managed to see very far back in Time with the Hubble.
edit on 26-1-2011 by Shenon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
This is the article on NASA

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Sparta

NASA TRANSLATION FOR HUMANS:

You are one of a billion mites traveling on a cinder through the vastness of a mysterious space.

edit on 26-1-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

The object's light traveled 13.2 billion years to reach Hubble

And the light said "I came all this way to see this!?!"

And then the light turned around and began the long journey home.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Honestly, In my opinion, NASA stands for: Nothing Astronomically Sufficient to talk About.
It'd be sometime still before something "
" happens.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I'm really shocked by the comments here that downplays NASA's modern role in astronomical studies. While NASA is suffering from major budget cuts, discoveries are still being made to confirm some theories while other discoveries are creating new theories.

Downplaying NASA's role in the exploration of space shows a lack of appreciation for the scientists and researchers who work to bring the public never before seen images and thought-provoking theories about an environment that we know so little about.

The Hubble Space Telescope is a 20+ year old scientific achievement that is opening the doors to other more sophisticated orbiting instruments that will bring even more surprises.

Anyone who would want to criticize NASA maybe should go back to the days before Galileo turned the telescope towards the heavens.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling
The Hubble Space Telescope is a 20+ year old scientific achievement...

I drive a 30+ year old car. I stopped bragging about it 25 years ago...

edit on 26-1-2011 by Chakotay because: For the Halibut...

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay

Originally posted by Intelearthling
The Hubble Space Telescope is a 20+ year old scientific achievement...

I drive a 30+ year old car. I stopped bragging about it 25 years ago...

edit on 26-1-2011 by Chakotay because: For the Halibut...

Why don't you brag about it now? Not many people have the opportunity to drive a car that's 30 years old. That in itself is an achievement.

The HST is a monumental achievement that you seem to be mocking.

Classics don't become classics because they're old. They become classics because of their ability to endure.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

I'm not downplaying Nasa's achievements, without their threshold and build on the exploration of space, our universe would still be a fairly big blur. What I'm trying to say is, the hyping of the discoveries is often taken to a bit higher extent then needed. I respect their studies and findings, but they need to tone it down instead of misleading us. One thing's for sure, by now we really should expect more of a let down.

Another thing I'd like to add though is that, I truly get how what I'm about to say does have a contradiction into what I stated above, but in a smaller way, they both make sense coordinately. Any discovery in space, IS a big discovery, because through all the small things, they will lead to a greater - more evolved and amazing one down the line. It's a process, and they do a good job.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join