It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to Announce New Discovery by Hubble Space Telescope

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

NASA is expected to announce a new discovery by researchers using the Hubble Space Telescope on Wednesday (Jan. 26).

space.com

This sounds interesting. I haven't got a clue what this could be. Does this kind of announcement happen often? Any ideas what the announcement might be? Some would like to say Nibiru or 'Blue Star' I'm sure. I'll be keeping my ears and web browser open on Weds!

edit on 24-1-2011 by fiftyfifty because: Spelling

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty

Does this kind of announcement happen often? Any ideas what the announcement might be? I'll be keeping my ears and web browser open on Weds!

There's an announcement every month or so, they're usually quite dull, and nothing worth getting exited over. (though that's never stopped us before!
)

What ever it is will probably be leaked very shortly anyway, as is the norm with these anouncements, cheers for posting it, I still look forward to hear what they have to say, even if it'll be something about dust.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   

you are supposed to have gone through these type of announcements before...

the worst are when they also indicate that its related to finding life in outer space (these are the worst let downs)

so myself i shall not hold my breath

still

Kindly OP keep this thread up to date...you never know

S+F

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I'm sure it has to do with a distant object like a quasar or something

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic

Does this kind of announcement happen often? Any ideas what the announcement might be? I'll be keeping my ears and web browser open on Weds!

There's an announcement every month or so, they're usually quite dull, and nothing worth getting exited over. (though that's never stopped us before!
)

What ever it is will probably be leaked very shortly anyway, as is the norm with these anouncements, cheers for posting it, I still look forward to hear what they have to say, even if it'll be something about dust.

I hope it isn't anything to do with dust.. unless the dust contains alien life
This could be the discovery we've been waiting for although I'm not naive and it is probably something dull, we'll have to wait and see.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by heineken

you are supposed to have gone through these type of announcements before...

Yeah my bad, at work so risking at as it is without delving into research

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
What bothers me is, why a two day wait?

Is that so they make sure they have had a real good look over any pictures and edited out anything they think we might spot?

don't make sense to me.. seems daft to keep people on their toes, but then again I guess they gotta keep up the advertising in order to look as though they're achieving something worthwhile..

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Is it unusual to have the announcement scheduled a few days ahead? I don't know.

I have been reading a few other threads and wondered if it could be related to the predicted upcoming supernova of Betelgeuse. The colour of this star appears to have changed recently as per this thread www.abovetopsecret.com...

Maybe a link?!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   

true...its like they feel good about making others feel anxious

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
What bothers me is, why a two day wait?

1 word. Publicity. If they just announced stuff without prewarning of said announcement, then there'd be people like us complaining that they were trying to keep it low profile. So this is a good way of doing it, and the way they normally do it.

and edit- @ fiftyfifty, yes, this is how they usually do it.

edit on 24/1/2011 by Acidtastic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Nasa and their 'announcements'. I am quite excited about some of them but really? Why all the hype?.

Nasa = Yawn (nothing really Globally exciting these days).

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

NASA waits until it has looked at something so long that it is bored of looking at it before they ever anounce that they are even going to announce something. Probably has to do with the Keplar and the blue-shift or the supernova; could even be about the birth of stars in less than hospitable galaxies that was eluded to about a month ago.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Well, if you ain't no scientist chances are most of Nasa's announcements are going to seem pretty lame to you.
But that is because non-scientific audience only care for "world-changing" events.
So, for example, the discovery of organic material in intergalactic dust it's pretty much a "meh" news to the Average Joe, but if you dig astronomy, it's going to be really exciting...
It's on the eye of the beholder...

Anyway, thanks for the heads up, i'll be waiting to see what's what.

Drakus.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by drakus

Hey, if it's an interesting scientific discovery I'm interested. I'm not expecting it to be Earth changing but with the advances in technology with Hubble, who knows what could have been discovered at the edges of the universe?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
From NASA:

MEDIA ADVISORY : M11-015 NASA Announces Media Teleconference About Hubble Discovery WASHINGTON -- NASA will hold a media teleconference at 1 p.m. EST on Wednesday, Jan. 26. Astronomers have pushed the Hubble Space Telescope to its limits and have seen further back in time than ever before. The related discussion will focus on new research findings to be published in the journal Nature.

Maybe they have captured a pic of God on the loo just before the big bang?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
hmmm..seems we shall be having proof the universe is much older than we thought

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

I've got a feeling this one is going to be the discovery of something new and never seen before, although maybe theorised?

Audio of the teleconference will be streamed live on NASA's website at:

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

reply to post by drakus

Hey, if it's an interesting scientific discovery I'm interested. I'm not expecting it to be Earth changing but with the advances in technology with Hubble, who knows what could have been discovered at the edges of the universe?

Off course.
I was refering to the dismissive attitude many people have with scientific news (along the lines of "what is it good for?" or "millions of dollars for that!?")

But yeah, i'm always excited with these findings too.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Well, in the State of the Union address tonight Obama said that they would be increasing NASA's funding, in a round-about way. Maybe the announcement is, "Thank you kind sir, thank you, thank you, thank you" LOL

This is our generation’s Sputnik moment. Two years ago, I said that we needed to reach a level of research and development we haven’t seen since the height of the Space Race. In a few weeks, I will be sending a budget to Congress that helps us meet that goal.

However, he also said that he wants to make America known as the "best place to shop on Earth", so I can only assume that ET is coming here to shop!

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Michio Kaku tweeted that he will be on FOX News at 9:40 am Eastern time Wednesday morning to discuss the Hubble announcement. But I think the 'announcement' does not occur until after 1:00 pm ET. Perhaps he has advanced info of the subject.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join