It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New study reveals: Meditation Changes Brain Structure in Eight Weeks!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   

so how is meditation a simulation of the act of dying? explain this please because right now I am strongly disagreeing with your statement and our views are oposites
reply to post by GypsK

It is OK to disagree on this subject, as there are no doubt many different methods of meditation with varied goals and outcomes.

What I am talking about is the type of meditation where the attempt is made to focus the attention at the third eye and keep it there for some time.

In this practice, the awareness or consciousness which is normally diffused throughout the body is withdrawn from the extremeties, rises up through the body, and concentrates at the eye center. This is the same process which happens each time we fall asleep, except that in sleep the consciousness slips downwards into the throat or lower chakras, we become un-conscious, while in meditation we need to remain conscious and focused behind the eyes.

When this process of withdrawal of consciousness is experienced in a fully alert state, it can be quite alarming to the novice, because the body becomes numb and seemingly lifeless, and the connection to the everyday wordly environment appears to be severed. This is callled dying while living.

Of course it is far more than a simulated death experience, it is an awakening to the inner worlds and dimensions, a journey of self-realization with the ultimate goal of God-realization.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Perhaps the person who was feeling agitated was unconsciously aware of an approaching spontaneous OBE. Some people seem naturally able to "slip out" of their bodies when meditating, whether or not they know anything about the phenomenon.

Yes, that is a clearer way of explaining it.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Meditation is possession... Meditation is for Satan what Prayer if for God.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Well for me the feeling I get from meditation is a very positive one. The best part that I really enjoy is being in a deep state of relaxation, and having nothing bother or disturb me, I won't go into images because I believe they are for me only,but when i come out of it I feel really good! Sometimes I meditate if I am writing a paper and I am stressed out about it, or i can't move forward with it. I will take a break meditate, and go back and feel wonderful! I will be able to focus and it's like my mind has recharged.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Scientist are finally understanding this, this is great news. Meditation is very good for the mind and body it has been known for thousands of years. Certainly their is no correct way to meditate but it is nice to see people sharing idea's on their own way to quiet their minds.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spirit Warrior 11:11
reply to post by Hawkwind.

You can imagine the breath has a certain color associated with the incoming (like glowing blue) and with the outgoing used air (like brown). Imagine the breath coming in is energized and fills your whole body and the exhale acts like a filter and gets rid of / exhales anything you don't want/need like pain, negative emotion, stress etc...

This is technique works especially well for me if I'm having trouble settling right into the meditative state (extra stress in the day, caffeine or nicotine in the body etc.)
In these times I will visualize grean glowing plus signs when I breath in, and exhale red minus signs. This image works particularly for me if I haven't meditated in quite a while.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

Originally posted by The Djin
reply to post by colloredbrothers

No body told me this I have experienced it, and it can only be experienced

Then you can't assert any universal truth if it has not been experienced universally.

Then I guess we're going to need your permission before we can join the circle, do you mind..?

Touche' that certainly was worth a tipping of the hat

and another line

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Raven_Heart

Some posters have hit the point I think. You may be approaching the OOBE and the subconscious is fearful. This is a real thing.

Second, you may depending on your state of consciousness have already opened part of the way into the astral. This is actually a talent some people have. They can peer into other levels at the same time as being present here in the now. If you look into OOBE research the first and lowest level of the astral is a place most term a nightmarish zone where your lower vibration will take you initially. Most just pass though this level with 'eyes closed' aiming for the higher planes. They claim they can still hear horrid sounds etc..but your astral body is impervious so there is no real danger.

The real enemy is FEAR. This is especially true when exploring consciousness because, like a dream, you can create these events out of your fear emotion and they will seem real at the time. They may be real, but not to your physical existence and cannot do you harm anyway.

Fear is a barrier in every aspect of life. Physical or non-physical experiences. It's up to you to overcome that and move forward. This will be a huge step. Just remember you cannot be harmed, it's all perceptual. Face your fear and learn the truth that is 'you are an eternal and quite invincible being'. Truly, the physical existence you are having now is the real dream and not the reality.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheTruthIsFromGod

An Idle Mind is the Devils Plaything. LOL

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Meditation does change your brain structure, but so does pretty much anything you do in live from walking to reading a book to driving you car and listening to music. If things and life is getting to you, meditation is a way to let stuff pass and not get yourself all worked up over nothing. Used to meditate more when younger, now.... not so much. I follow the vash the stampede method of getting in sync with the universe and opening up chakras and all that now a days. To much sitting is not good for you.

"I meditate diligently every morning. The subject is Life and Love. I quit after three seconds" --Vash the Stampede

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Go figure, another Christian.....
And please spare Harry Potter too....
No wonder why when Christians decide to take on meditation, they report seeing demons and devils. I am not a Christian and I have yet seen any sort of this devilish creatures..

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysticnoon

so how is meditation a simulation of the act of dying? explain this please because right now I am strongly disagreeing with your statement and our views are oposites
reply to post by GypsK

It is OK to disagree on this subject, as there are no doubt many different methods of meditation with varied goals and outcomes.

What I am talking about is the type of meditation where the attempt is made to focus the attention at the third eye and keep it there for some time.

In this practice, the awareness or consciousness which is normally diffused throughout the body is withdrawn from the extremeties, rises up through the body, and concentrates at the eye center. This is the same process which happens each time we fall asleep, except that in sleep the consciousness slips downwards into the throat or lower chakras, we become un-conscious, while in meditation we need to remain conscious and focused behind the eyes.

When this process of withdrawal of consciousness is experienced in a fully alert state, it can be quite alarming to the novice, because the body becomes numb and seemingly lifeless, and the connection to the everyday wordly environment appears to be severed. This is callled dying while living.

Of course it is far more than a simulated death experience, it is an awakening to the inner worlds and dimensions, a journey of self-realization with the ultimate goal of God-realization.

Very interesting take on the Third eye. Now, I won't say once your focus and attention are on the third eye (when the third eye is open and active), you won't feel anything. The energy gets circulated inside you and you feel more aware of each part of your body as well.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by skylightsintheillions

Originally posted by Spirit Warrior 11:11
reply to post by Hawkwind.

You can imagine the breath has a certain color associated with the incoming (like glowing blue) and with the outgoing used air (like brown). Imagine the breath coming in is energized and fills your whole body and the exhale acts like a filter and gets rid of / exhales anything you don't want/need like pain, negative emotion, stress etc...

This is technique works especially well for me if I'm having trouble settling right into the meditative state (extra stress in the day, caffeine or nicotine in the body etc.)
In these times I will visualize grean glowing plus signs when I breath in, and exhale red minus signs. This image works particularly for me if I haven't meditated in quite a while.

Good to hear. You might also like to try and match the colors up with what you intend. Green for healing, purple for spiritual experience/communication, red for physical energy ( I do this before working out), etc...

You can also channel this into the Chakras to reinvigorate them. This one is my favorite and works extremely well. Very energizing afterwards. You can google this if you are unfamiliar and they each have their own color and properties associated. If you don't believe the ancient technique it's OK. You can still use it as a focusing tool for your intention. Even if you use your own colors or symbols the important thing is they have an assigned meaning to you. That is what makes it work.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

If you are that closed minded then why are you even on ATS to begin with shouldn't you be at bible-brainwashing-study or something.

Also, meditation is in the bible as recommended by Jesus as reflection time. Many cultures also use the meditative state to pray and speak with God.

And last...this practice is older than Christianity itself and has outlasted it in terms of number of practitioners and members who have benefited from the practice.

It is also doctor recommended and has numerous health benefits in addition to the mental benefits.

If you see the devil everywhere you look then you have issues. I recommend a healthy dose of meditative reflection to contemplate this. To contradict your statement...a busy mind is occupied mostly with nonsense that distracts one from living in the now and making correct spiritual decisions. Still your mind and think about your own thoughts and not what you have been told to believe. What you have been conditioned to believe. This is one of the greatest benefits of meditation....it allows for new thinking processes. Change is good and it is necessary.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I checked this article out before I was a member. It actually cased me to start meditating daily. Thanks man.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by TikkTok

Have a good time with it. It's like learning to read. Once you do it can change your life truly.
There are tons of different methods. Enough to say there is one which will perfectly fit anyone you just have to keep looking and trying different methods.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

I begin an eight week course in mindful meditation in February, it is called a stress reduction course to demystify the course content. It is something that my hospital is experimenting with and I will be taking part in one of the first courses. Results from America have been very promisng, so I'm really looking forward to it.

It's not what I was expecting, normally our health service avoids alternative treatments, but has recently started to look at other approaches. I believe the course is based on the work of Jon kabat zinn. Who has been carrying at these eight week courses in hospitals and other institutions.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join