It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The End is Nigh!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Since the beginning of civilization it seems there has always been someone around to tell us the end is coming. In fact I would be willing to bet it was one of the ideas our first grunts were meant to convey. Today is no different, hight strangeness is occurring daily and it seems the relative calm of history is coming undone quickly and more than ever before the end is now coming!

The end not coming now more than it was in 2000, no more than it has been coming at the end of every century since people started using the calender. But it is interesting to me that it is so popular for the end to always be quickly approaching.

Rather than launch into a complicated diatribe about the psychological implications on societal level and looking at the incidence of "End Timers" as compared to the society and look for a relationship (I'm sure one exists and am equally sure someone already studied it if I looked.) I am going to propose that the end is always coming, which is why people always think it is, some people just blow it out of proportion.

When we look at it the end is here, now. The only true constant in life is change, and each change large or small signifies an end of a paradigm of some kind. Sometimes the end is large, for example the Renaissance was a relatively small phenomena at the time concentrated into a few centers but the ideas spread and eventually led to the Reformation and western civilization as we know it. Was that not a distinct end to Medieval Europe? I mean the world that was the Medieval feudal system literally ended. Every revolution signifies an end of the world, every change signifies the world ending as we know it.

The next time someone tells you the end is coming you can tell them with confidence the end is now, and you will see them tomorrow for another end if they wish. I predict change will come in our lifetimes, not because I'm psychic but because the only real news would be that the end is not coming and there will be no change.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord

Not sure how to respond so I will only say what I believe. We are in the end times, time has been around a long time. What end times means is the end of Satan owning this world, we take it over in so many ways. Beyond that, the end times can last more than a minute and it says nobody knows the day or time. I agree with that.

The world is not being normal and that does make some people anxious, I understand that. Every second of every day is the end times for many people. We all die and we don't get to choose when. I can promise just about everyone reading this that their end times will come in the next hundred years. The question is what are you going to do about it?

I had a five bedroom home filled with four homeless people who paid no rent. I am moving to a one bedroom and taking one homeless person with me. Everyday is our last, what will you do with it? For those who fear that we are in the last days, help someone and it will pay off. Someone will be helped. I don't ask everyone to take some homeless person in, give them a buck, help an old lady across the street, let someone merge into traffic, don't be a jerk when you think you are entitled to.

I believe it is the end times spoken of; but, why should that effect how I act? Why should it effect how you act? Do right because right is right. Nice thread and thank you.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Not sure how to respond so I will only say what I believe. We are in the end times, time has been around a long time. What end times means is the end of Satan owning this world, we take it over in so many ways. Beyond that, the end times can last more than a minute and it says nobody knows the day or time. I agree with that.

If I'm arguing semantics I could agree we live in the end times much as, as soon as a person is born they are dieing. I do think we live in a time accelerated change but wouldn't call it the end anymore than any other time...

The world is not being normal and that does make some people anxious, I understand that. Every second of every day is the end times for many people. We all die and we don't get to choose when. I can promise just about everyone reading this that their end times will come in the next hundred years. The question is what are you going to do about it?

I think the world is not being as abnormal as we are lead to believe. I do think we are increasingly aware of what is going on with all the advances in information movement.

As for what I'm going to do about it? I want to do something to jump start the social brain and get people to think critically in large groups. If humanity can do that we would be set.

I had a five bedroom home filled with four homeless people who paid no rent. I am moving to a one bedroom and taking one homeless person with me. Everyday is our last, what will you do with it? For those who fear that we are in the last days, help someone and it will pay off. Someone will be helped. I don't ask everyone to take some homeless person in, give them a buck, help an old lady across the street, let someone merge into traffic, don't be a jerk when you think you are entitled to.

I agree that if everyone did what they could to lend a hand the world would be a better place. My preference is to help educate and teach skills, help with resumes etc...

I believe it is the end times spoken of; but, why should that effect how I act? Why should it effect how you act? Do right because right is right. Nice thread and thank you.

I am really more interested in the philosophy of the End Times and this is an important point that I hadn't considered closely. Does the feeling of the end times make people greedy and selfish or selfless and kind?

Thank you for the thoughtful reply!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Perhaps the End Times conviction of certain groups of individuals is symptomatic of a fundamental attachment to this world with the concommitant fear of dying alone?

Maybe the idea that this world will carry on quite happily without them, and that it will barely miss a beat at their passing, is too disturbing for them to process? If they can no longer be a part of it, then no-one else should remain to enjoy it? They intuit that the only way to remain in the company of their loved ones after death is for them all to pass over at the same time?

Just some questions, not necessarily answers.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Well, boredom and apathy are among the top killers of civilizations. Plus you add in mental illness, paranoia, the machinations of the rich and self fulfilling prophecies.... Like for example look at all the elitist's liberals in America. What is one thing a good number of them have in common(besides arrogance)? Boredom.

Their lives are too easy and uninteresting so they make the wrongful conclusion that everyone's lives are too easy and boring, so they mess everything up and viola they aren't bored anymore.

Fretting over Y2K, Illuminati, 2012 and everything else, ultimately gives people things to do. Keeps them occupied.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by mysticnoon

I like the idea that endtimeitus has to do with a fear of the world continuing without the end timer... many good questions. I subscribe to the belief that the best answer to any question is a well formed question and the only answer to a philosophical question is another question regardless of how it is phrased.

reply to post by Korathin

Boredom might be the ultimate answer to why people do strange things. Its likely the mechanism that allows humans to grow as a species and ensures that we will always progress.. as soon as things get easy we turn unpredictable and half of us have to innovate to fix what the other half broke...

new topics

top topics

join