It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top cop's wishlist: microchipped crooks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Top cop's wishlist: microchipped crooks

www.abc.net.au

South Australia's police commissioner says some people should be microchipped as a crime prevention measure.

Commissioner Mal Hyde made the remark while answering a question at an international Australian Crime Prevention Council forum in Adelaide.

Mr Hyde said widespread CCTV had once been considered an unlikely concept because of privacy concerns.

He said community attitudes usually changed in line with perceived threats.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I can't imagine that it's a surprise to anyone here that this sort of thing is planned. That it is openly being spoken of does come as a bit of a surprise to me though.

Australia of course is similar to the United Kingdom in that it doesn't have any constitutionally guaranteed freedoms, nor any bill of rights so like the UK is often faster to adopt draconian laws than the United States (eg gun control, random searches of citizens and the widespread use of surveillance cameras).

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Top People's wishlist = Less Police Brutality and Corruption.

Anyways, scientific studies have proven that RFID chip implants can cause cancerous growths in the tissue surrounding the chip.

Therefore chipping criminals is an added punishment.

They are given cancer as a punishment. This is not acceptable.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
First they wanted to chip your animals incase *they were lost stolen*

Second they wanted to chip your criminals *because they are dangerous*

Third they wanted to chip your old people *because they need to be monitered and not get lost*

Fourth they wanted to chip your kids *so they are not kidnapped*

Fifth they wanted to chip you *so you don't pose a threat*

Of course chipping the bad people is to keep YOU safe!!!!!!

Sure sure
edit on 23-1-2011 by hillynilly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
While not as permanent we use ankle bracelets for the same purpose when putting some criminals under house arrest or while on certain degrees of probation.

Understandably in certain individuals; i.e. pedophiles or sex offenders who have to register this might actually be a cheaper way to keep track of them than registries and the multitudes of individuals to check-up on them.

After all it can be removed and implanted with only a minor snip here or an n injection there.

When one becomes a predator he/she ceded a certain number of rights after all.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I think I've read talk about chipping child molestors and not too many would argue that but we must be careful. Read what would be written into the law. Like the previous poster says what next?? We all know the more they get the more they want.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
In a way is this not already happening with everyone as the vast majority of people now have a mobile phone, most have GPS enabled.

I have one friend who tweets from almost every location, specifying where she is, using 4square.

I know these chips are for other specific people, it just got me thinking about how people already give away a lot of info very freely

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by 1984hasarrived

I would just force them to carry cellphones.

It would be much easier and realistic. Plus cellphones can record audio and video.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Maybe I was not very clear, I was not suggesting that criminals be issued with cell phones for tracking purposes, I was thinking tangentially how most people are already being tracked, some knowingly, and revelling in it, while others are less aware of the fact that their location can be pinpointed accurately.

The fact that criminals are being considered for microchipping scares the hell out of me.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by 1984hasarrived

I was suggesting it. We don't need chips. The cellphone does everything a chip does and more.

The cellphone is a better alternative.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1984hasarrived
In a way is this not already happening with everyone as the vast majority of people now have a mobile phone, most have GPS enabled.

I have one friend who tweets from almost every location, specifying where she is, using 4square.

I know these chips are for other specific people, it just got me thinking about how people already give away a lot of info very freely

My cousin is a big shot at OnStar. He says they can find anybody who has it installed in their car. I asked him if the feds have taken over yet and he just laughed.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

But of course cell phones can be left behind, swapped etc. But the average person in the street has their cell phone on them 24/7, and rarely leaves it behind.

This is one reason that in US and Europe you *have to* buy a phone on contract, because of the paper trail involved. Luckily I usually get SIMs in countries where I can just buy a pay as you go, or even better - a free SIM.

top topics

join