It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are they closing an Albuquerque runway?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Airport officials say those upgrades will temporarily shut down the airport's heavily used east/west runway.

We go from Tampa telling us about their adjustment when they probably shouldn't have..... in lieu of all the animal kill-offs that week and rumors of a physical pole shift.....and now we have Albuquerque not saying a single WORD as to why they're 'upgrading their runway'

Are they putting in new lights? Smoothing out the tarmac? Repainting the lines?
If you don't think something is suspicious then please..... try to convince of that too!
(I can't get the video attached to article to work. Perhaps they mention the reason of the 'upgrade')

Runway improvement means more noise for residents in SE ABQ
It's about to get a lot noisier for people in Southeast Albuquerque. The FAA is making some upgrades at the Sunport, and that means more planes flying low over houses in the southeast.

Airport officials say those upgrades will temporarily shut down the airport's heavily used east/west runway.

"We've had to alter the traffic pattern slightly to the northeast/southwest," said Spokesman Daniel Jiron.

For the next few weeks, planes will be using the northeast/southwest runway for arrivals and departures.

"It's temporary, should be ending by February 11th, but in the meantime it might create a little bit of noise over the southeast area of Albuquerque," said Jiron.

www.kob.com...
edit on 23-1-2011 by Human_Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Let me play devils advocate..

IF "TPTB" are sooooo concerned an "imminent pole shift" that so many people here are convinced is coming, why are they taking the time to close runways to readjust them for FUTURE USE? the world is ending, why bother?

durka durka muhamed jihad....

some of you are too short sighted

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Seems the key words in this report - "we had to alter the traffic pattern slightly". Yea, why?

I think I ask yesterday on a thread if anyone knew of any other reports of airports altering their runways, seems we have a report now. Thanks Human - Alien!!!

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustinIowa
Let me play devils advocate..

IF "TPTB" are sooooo concerned an "imminent pole shift" that so many people here are convinced is coming, why are they taking the time to close runways to readjust them for FUTURE USE? the world is ending, why bother?

durka durka muhamed jihad....

some of you are too short sighted

Why the hell did they renovate the Pentagon's north wing just to have an airplane destroy it?

Short sighted? I don't think so. I'm very familiar with their work and that's why I close my eyes to see half the time!

Just for the record, I nor the article said they're closing it for any magnetic shifting. I just found it strange that one airport acted like the Town Crier ....telling the frantic public their business (when we didn't have to know) and now, this airport reports a cryptic report.

Why are they closing it? What's the mystery? It's like a half-report!

Listen. Tampa Airport set a precedence. We now expect to know why (even if it's no big deal) they're closing runways. Don't blame me. Blame Tampa.
edit on 23-1-2011 by Human_Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Most work on big infrastructure is procured years in advance; it never makes sense at the time of construction considering the myriad of pressing matters at the moment. Chances are these runways were "due" for this upgrade based on bonds and such set forth many years ago.

I flew in Albuquerque once, we were at a level airspace and suddenly we dropped out of the sky and landed, literally! I have never been so scared in my life, and yet this is how pilots navigate this Airport when they come from the East. Amazing, and now I can say with all honesty, I will never fly again!

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Have you ever heard the fable about "The Boy Who Cried Wolf"????

Did you think to check more, in to the story, before using ATS Server space on a thread???

A Federal Aviation Administration project to upgrade navigational equipment at the east end of the east-west runway will limit arrivals and departures on that runway, a Sunport spokesman said Friday. That will increase traffic using the northeast-southwest runway, the spokesman said.

Air traffic controllers will limit flights over southeast neighborhoods when weather conditions allow, the spokesman added.

The FAA project is scheduled to be completed on Feb. 11.

www.krqe.com...

FINISHED by February 11.

The work, as per the article, for NavAids at the east end. This likely means they are updating the Localizer antenna array for the arrivals on Runway 08.....Localizer equipment is at the end of the runway it is assigned to. The Glideslope transmitter is alignied somewhere along the side of the runway.

As long as I've flown into ABQ, Runway 08 was primary for arrivals. The other direction, Runway 26, has no electronic guidance, so it is a VFR "visual" approach situation only.

Here is a current list of all Instrument Approach Procedures and ABQ:

ILS OR LOC RWY 08
HI-ILS RWY 08
RNAV (GPS) RWY 03
RNAV (GPS) RWY 08
RNAV (GPS) RWY 17
RNAV (GPS) RWY 35
HI-TACAN RWY 08
VOR OR TACAN RWY 08
ILS OR LOC RWY 03

It is a joint-use facility, so some of those are military procedures (the "HI-ILS and any of the TACAN procedures).

So, when there's is bad weather, and low ceilings, the only two runways with a precision approach are 03 and 08. Runway 26 has a great deal of steeply rising terrain just East of it, and is not suitable for an defined approach procedure. (This is why one poster commented on the "steep" arrival, when coming from the East...she must have landed to the West, due to winds that day).

That same terrain results in a very special procedure, for takeoffs (normally used) from Runway 08, in case of an engine failure. Some other airports are like that, due to various obstructions present in the area....especially in mountainous locations.

Here, hte Runway 08 ILS approach...look out East. The terrain is depicted in the tan and brown, with lines of elevation labelled. Look at the Missed Approach Procedure:

Most MAPs are mostly straight ahead. But, there be mountains there...so: You see, your "decision height" (DH) is 5,517 feet (200 feet above the runway). THAT is where you will usually descend to and IF can't see sufficiently to land (or another reason, you have to go around) It says to climb ahead, on the miss, until you reach 5,800.....which will happen VERY fast.... then continuing to climb, making the right turn back to the VOR, out ther West of the airport at 9.7 milest, leveling at 8,000. If no radar or further instruction, then you will enter a holding pattern, as it is depicted.

In real life, usually the radar works, and they will handle you as needed....again, vectoring away from terrain, of course.

Depending on how bad the weather was, and your reason for missing the approach, you can try again....or, divert to your alternate airport.
edit on 23 January 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Many thanks for providing the real facts on this, it's something that usually doesn't surface or, if it does, it just gets lost in the background noise probably because it simply isn't exciting enough.

Seems the FAA can't win because closing a runway for instrument upgrades is suspicious even when they announce the plans. If planes started flying over neighbourhoods they hadn't affected in the past with no warning of their intentions suspicions would be even more pronounced. And some wonder why some authorities now adopt the 'Nike' attitude (Just do it and get it over & done with ASAP)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   

In my area (midwest) we have our airport shutting down also so they can repair / improve / upgrade the runways. IF I had to guess it might be possible this is stimulus funds in action. Either or, it needs to be done at some point anyways. Nothing like hitting a pothole on final at 300 mph.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

In my area (midwest) we have our airport shutting down also so they can repair / improve / upgrade the runways. IF I had to guess it might be possible this is stimulus funds in action. Either or, it needs to be done at some point anyways. Nothing like hitting a pothole on final at 300 mph.

Well that was the point to this thread. Why aren't they including the reason?

Upgrade is a very vague word. Tampa reported why they were (although I felt they shouldn't have due to the rumors(?) about a pole shift) and now we get another announcement about another runway only.....they leave out the reason.

The above poster (who gets my posts removed) gave a probable reason but why make an official announcement that leaves the reader guessing?

Besides, this whole 'closing runways' made the news........BIG TIME so now is not the time to leave speculation to a nervous and confused nation (world).

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

The airport I am referring to did announce why. They were resurfacing / upgrading the runway. The airport closing in florida was for the same reason, as well ass renumbering the runways because of the magentic shift.

When I said if I had to guess, I was referring to FEderal Stimulus bucks being released, allowing the airports to get the job done.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

_______
reply to post by Pilgrum

Seems the FAA can't win because closing a runway for instrument upgrades is suspicious even when they announce the plans.

See, here's the rub...the runway is NOT "being closed"!

All the article, and the announcement point out is the NavAids upgrade...this means that the ILS and Localizer are unavailable, until the new equipment is installed, tested and flight checked (FAA has special airplanes for that).

Meanwhile, on GOOD weather days, runway can still be used for arrivals, and departures. Visual approaches.

Here is what the NOTAM (Notice to Airmen) says:

ABQ 01/109 ABQ RWY 8/26 EAST 3773 C'___' TIL 1102112359
CREATED: 19 Jan 2011 18:23:00

What it means is the EAST 3,773 feet of the runway 08/26 is closed until 11 February, 2011 at 23:59Z. NOTAM issued at 18:23 on 19 Jan, 2011.

The runway is shortened (its normal full length is 12,793 ft), because of the equipment working on the end...as I said, likely the Localizer antenna.

Being shortened is usually no prob for landings...takeoffs, another matter....at those altitudes, depends on weight at takeoff and aircraft performance issues. Hence, airliners may be directed to the other long runway (which is usually dedicated to the military only..part of the joint-use setup). BTW, several of the runways (even runway 08) have arresting cables installed. Marked on the chart diagram by those lines across the ends of the runways, with the arrows showing the effective direction.... Of course, airliners don't have tailhooks!

Sometimes, though..if you land just before them, will run over 'em...but, they aren't elevated, unless ready for the use they were intended...so , all you get are a few 'bump, bumps'...like driving over R/R tracks.

There...all questions answered, just have to know where to look.
edit on 24 January 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Interesting post and sorry we will not be able to debate this subject.

In the wake of so many odd occurrences as of late, 'tis sad that just the mere mention of such incident will result in a rather vulgar display of discontent from some ATS Members.

Even sadder that the OP is so quickly censored while leaving some abusive "I right, Your an idiot" posts unfettered.

I have seen ZERO evidence either way in this post regarding the real reason the runway has been shut down. I would venture a guess that it may be just routine maintenance, but we just don't know.

While I have witnessed severe cases of "Phage Envy" in one of the above posters over MANY ATS Threads. You may want to take note that PHAGE uses some pretty good sources to combat the naysayers. Rarely will you see PHAGE depending on the words of a local reporter.

Albuquerque runway has been closed but so have MANY others. Because the Tampa airport reported it's reason we should not be mocked in anyway if we question why. I do realize that because of the Tampa report, many more eyes will be on such stories. I am pretty certain that is why many are here on ATS, to weed out the garbage in search of truth. Not to be attacked and called names then censored.

Granted I have no idea what was in the posts that were removed but see how the OP has over 65K points over 1K flags and I have followed many of their posts, I was rather shocked to see not one but two separate censors. I found it rather odd.

My questions are:
#1. why was the media stories only stating the noise to certain neighborhoods and NOTHING regarding delays or excessive air traffic because of the runway closure.
#2. Why didn't anybody use the closed airport wing scene from Die Hard 2 to show Human_Alien wrong, because I can assure you that the reporters they sourced are only interested in entertainment value, ratings and revenue the exact same as Bruce Willis and crew!

The Truth Is Only Somewhat Profitable - Hence Tabloids...

Good Find H_A

t
edit on 1/24/2011 by EyeHeartBigfoot because: punctuation

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by EyeHeartBigfoot

I have seen ZERO evidence either way in this post regarding the real reason the runway has been shut down. I would venture a guess that it may be just routine maintenance, but we just don't know.

See my posts.

You may want to take note that PHAGE uses some pretty good sources to combat the naysayers.

See my posts.

Albuquerque runway has been closed....

NO, it hasn't.

Read my posts.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
As pointed out, there is every reason to question this article.
Not accuse. Not even conjuncture. And I am certainly not suggesting every don their tin-foil hats but ....question this. And that's exactly what I did.

This has come on the heels of a LOT of speculation, imagination, distrust and total confusion after the media made its announcement over Tampa magnetic-pole adjustment and massive animal die-offs that are ALSO, making the media rounds too!

They are the ones who have have called attention to all of this, not the other way around.

I do not go filtering and finding news JUST to pick out articles so to find conspiratorial-wiggle room in them.
Trust me, I have enough on my plate, in head and on threads!

And nor is my intent to be the 'boy who cried wolf' as prolific as that sounded. These kind of jabs are not only hurtful but makes me not want to share my findings. Again, I never say, with absolute conviction, that these things are happening due to a specific cause. Rather, I put out suggestions or.... I merely ask questions.

This story appeared and I found it extremely interesting in light of the recent incident and, that's the end of that!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
edit on 24-1-2011 by Human_Alien because: (no reason given)

top topics

join