It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Irish Government is Collapsing.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

The Irish Government is Collapsing.

...And its not Because of Guiness for once.
www.abc.net.au

The Irish government is in crisis after the Green party announced it was pulling out of the ruling coalition, a move likely to bring forward the country's general election.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.reuters.com
www.newsonnews.net
www.ft.com
edit on 23/1/11 by TedHodgson because: ellaborated

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Something interesting is happening with Politics for once!

Ireland’s opposition parties have been virtual bystanders in the party infighting behind the Fianna Fáil-led government’s imminent collapse.

The Green party pulled out of government on Sunday over what John Gormley, its leader, called the “ongoing saga” over prime minister Brian Cowen’s leadership of Fianna Fáil, which has been simmering for months.

ohn Gormley, the leader of the Greens and the environment minister in the Coalition government, said his party could not continue in government after the dramatic resignation of Brian Cowen as leader of the Fianna Fail party.

"We in the Green party have stood back in the hope that Fianna Fail could resolve persistent doubts about their party leadership and our patience has reached an end," he said.

"Because of these continuing doubts, the lack of communication and the breakdown in trust, we have decided that we can no longer continue in government."

Mr Gormley said the Irish people had begun to lose confidence in the political process.

The Greens' decision to leave government and resign their ministers means that an election will now likely be held before March 11 - the date called by Mr Cowen last week.

Bailout hopes

The Green party will join the opposition benches immediately but Mr Gormley said his six ministers would support a finance bill considered vital to securing an international bailout agreed with the European Union and International Monetary Fund in November.

"We will remain true to our promise to support the finance bill from the opposition benches with the promised cooperation of the opposition parties," he said.

"We also hope that the Fianna Fail party will make every effort to fast-track this legislation."

Shortly after the announcement, Mr Cowen said he accepted the Green party's decision and thanked them for their work in government, adding that he remained focused on getting the finance bill through parliament.

"The important thing now is to have an orderly completion of the finance bill in the interests of the country and then obviously we move to a dissolution of the Dail (parliament) and a general election," he said.

Asked if he should resign now, Mr Cowen replied: "I think it important that we get the finance bill through and we need a government to do that."

Mr Cowen had been under pressure for months over his handling of the debt crisis that brought Ireland to its knees and caused it to become the second eurozone country to accept a bailout last year.

He survived a leadership challenge by foreign minister Micheal Martin last week, but an attempt to use Mr Martin's subsequent resignation and five other apparently coordinated cabinet resignations to force a reshuffle backfired.

Theres a lot going on in ireland at the moment, If not carefull things could lead to Uproar again, Then we can start worrying about The IRA, Things are very un-steady in ireland as it is so maybe this might just tip the People over the edge

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article
edit on 23/1/11 by TedHodgson because: Ellaborated

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
You have to wonder what effects this will have on the wider 'markets' (all those banking Spiv's).
It might unsettle them as the Oirish loans might not now appear to be such great business for Europe, especially if a country is spiralling into a crisis and elections etc etc..

Regards

PDUK

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Hey PD UK Nice to hear from you again!

Yes, indeed i was just thinking the same thing, We all know how this will affect the financial Market and Public sector over there, Infact that loan May not count if things get any worse there, The Public sector and guiness are the only things holding ireland together at the moment, And unfortunately they seem to be becoming unstuck (and to make things worse Guiness has just gone up in price!)

I think ireland may be in for another depression.

Regards

~Ted
edit on 23/1/11 by TedHodgson because: Ellaborated

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

TedHodgson

If Ireland heads into a depression then we, the UK will also be adversely affected..... Why do you think that we 'chipped in' along with the European loans from the EU central bank... to the tune of £7 Billion ?

There are loads of posts on here about the poor state of the US $ but it is only part of it... The whole of the Euro zone is dependent upon Germany and they can't support everyone......

The Irish have already gone through alot of 'Austerity' measures but the hard and cold fact is that they are still overvalued as a country and there has too be more pain which in turn will affect us..

Regards
PDUK

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
the world seems to be in upheavel atm..

kx

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK

TedHodgson

If Ireland heads into a depression then we, the UK will also be adversely affected..... Why do you think that we 'chipped in' along with the European loans from the EU central bank... to the tune of £7 Billion ?

There are loads of posts on here about the poor state of the US $ but it is only part of it... The whole of the Euro zone is dependent upon Germany and they can't support everyone......

The Irish have already gone through alot of 'Austerity' measures but the hard and cold fact is that they are still overvalued as a country and there has too be more pain which in turn will affect us..

Regards
PDUK

Oh Definately PD, Otherwise as you say we wouldnt have botherd bailing them out in the first place, Personally i think the money could have been better spent and this just proves it to be honest, The Irish government has let things slip about Despite the Enourmous Advantage of having britain as an ally.

We are a very fragile framework us Europeans, we stick together because we support each other, But i cant help but think Ireland is going to break the framework if you get my meaning

~Ted

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

To put it simply you couldnt be more correct in that analysis

Second

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
hmmm.... here is what is really driving the economic collapses - the IMF.

The Green party will join the opposition benches immediately but Mr Gormley said his six ministers would support a finance bill considered vital to securing an international bailout agreed with the European Union and International Monetary Fund in November.

The IMF are sick sociopaths... actually criminal versions so that would make the psychopaths. They pump and dump country after country by buying out the leadership and getting them to pledge the countries resources to the IMF. Pump & Dump.

edit on 23-1-2011 by pianopraze because: fixed video link

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

Thanks for your post Pianopraze

I never knew this about the IMF ill have to look into them further, I imagine they're the Dark side of the force......Forgive the intended star wars pun

edit on 23/1/11 by TedHodgson because: ellaborated

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

No need. The analogy is quite apt:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I find it odd, you post a America is doing bad thread, and
the people come out of the woodwork to show their joy/displeasure.

You post about how crappy Europe is doing and it's no big deal.

When Europe collapses so will America, if America collapses first then so will Europe, China,
and every other major country..

It is all intertwined now so the big guy on top doesn't suffer a bit.

That is when they issue us little guys their new global currency.
edit on 23-1-2011 by hillynilly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by hillynilly

Yeah but most people dont think about it, Dont worry im sure this thread will have some more interest by morning

Yeah as you say we are all holding each other together But people these days only seem to worry about things that directly Impact upon themselves rather than events that could lead to the same

Thanks for your post

~Ted

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
good give em some spuds

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Ive been paying attention as well. It is in my opinion we need to ask iceland what to do.

If it wasnt for the big debt shuffle, and the ponzi demand for new credit to pay for the old credit, greed wouldnt run the world.

The majority of countries who have central banks seem to be suffering the most. The truth is most western democracies get bought out by debt-based-fiat banking. These governments are concerned about making money with trade to other nations. If we as western societies could keep our money in our own pockets and invest locally while forgiveing the debts and credit-defaults to other nations. We could start over financially.

Trust me the world only needs renewable energy, or more efficient use of current fringe energy, with a little more R&D.

Nice Thread OP!

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
It is a complete an utter mess.

They are trying to rush the finance bill through at the minute ( massive public service cuts and increases in taxes ) but they need a government to get the finance bill through. At the minute Ireland would have better luck buying a cabinet from Ikea.

If they had not used state funds to bail out the banks a few years ago then I doubt things would have got as bad as they are now, it just turned a single industry crisis into a countrywide financial emergency.

Its a mess, and will get a lot worse before it gets better.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
The Greens are very right to stay clear of the IMF. Their reputation is ruthless and social destroying, Greece is in major troubles at the moment with them and plenty of other nations have been hacked apart as the corporatist move in throughout their long history. There is plenty of information and cases studies involving their practices and consequences. Looking to Iceland as for how they resolved the financial troubles will but Ireland in a much better position.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze
hmmm.... here is what is really driving the economic collapses - the IMF.

The IMF are sick sociopaths... actually criminal versions so that would make the psychopaths. They pump and dump country after country by buying out the leadership and getting them to pledge the countries resources to the IMF. Pump & Dump.

edit on 23-1-2011 by pianopraze because: fixed video link

And if the Government doesn't want to play ball, they threaten to withdraw all investments and crush the economy. They were basically held to ransom into accepting the recent bail out.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Is there any chance I'll be able to buy some cheap Belleek soon? My wife loves the stuff and I get points for every piece.

On a serious note, the only thing I heard about Ireland finances was when they were still using the term "Celtic Tiger". I had no idea that that all kind of faded away in 2008.

en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

join