It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9/11 Museum Executives Cash In (Kids' small donations pay for inflated salaries)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Source

Schoolchildren thought their penny jars and bake-sale proceeds would go toward building a 9/11 memorial at Ground Zero -- not the six-figure salaries of nonprofit execs.

But 11 staffers at the National September 11 Memorial & Museum each pulled down more than $170,000 in total compensation in 2009, according to the most recent filings. Four execs took home more than $320,000.

Foundation President Joseph Daniels, 38, pocketed $371,307 after receiving hefty raises three years in a row -- 28 percent in 2006, when he was promoted from acting president, followed by 12 percent and 6 percent.

I'll refrain from saying what I think since no doubt it would be construed in such a way that I'd get castigated and potentially visited.

These people are the lowest of the low. When I scrape dog sh# off the bottom of my shoe, it is worth more than these vermin.

How many of the first responders have died? How many of them are being taken care of? Nope, a bunch of blood sucking leeches are getting paid instead.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
This is why I do not trust ANY charities. They are scams.

The goal is to get you to donate money, then they pocket it as "overhead expenses".

I lived on less than 10k last year, and fed my family just fine.

I guess I should go rip off 911 victims instead, I'd make 290k $ more.

It seems being manipulative and a straight up conman is the key to riches these days.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I believe there is definitely a toasty seat in the 7th realm of hell for folks like this. Too bad donations can't buy a conscience...

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
This is why I do not trust ANY charities. They are scams.

The goal is to get you to donate money, then they pocket it as "overhead expenses".

I lived on less than 10k last year, and fed my family just fine.

I guess I should go rip off 911 victims instead, I'd make 290k $ more.

It seems being manipulative and a straight up conman is the key to riches these days.

I agree completely. Hell, look at the BS uncovered about the Red Cross! I can't say I have anything against charities but only donate to ones that are local and I have spoken with those in charge.

The money I donated to a local food bank went to the food for the people...of that I am sure based upon my conversation with those in charge.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Why do you think the federal bureaucracy is so bloated? This happens everywhere in these programs set up. Det of Ed is the worst.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
I believe there is definitely a toasty seat in the 7th realm of hell for folks like this. Too bad donations can't buy a conscience...

i really wish there was a hell for people like this, but i think it is just a place the TPTB of old just fabricated way back then to keep the commoners from strangling and offing scum like thse guys. i almost wish badly that the commoners would start playing god themselves and eliminating the scum who do nothing but make the earth a worst place to live.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jontap

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe

i really wish there was a hell for people like this, but i think it is just a place the TPTB of old just fabricated way back then to keep the commoners from strangling and offing scum like thse guys. i almost wish badly that the commoners would start playing god themselves and eliminating the scum who do nothing but make the earth a worst place to live.

That can be accomplished...but is why I have held my tongue upon posting this thread. The things I have to say really wouldn't change anything even though they are pertinent.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Yes food banks and local charities are your real deal, I concede. When I spoke I meant large scale international charities, which are clearly scams.

At the food bank you can volunteer, and you can watch where the resources go. In fact, you will be the one passing them out to the needy folks.

This is legit charity. Support your local food banks folks.

Go meet the management, get to know your neighbors.

The overhead at these local groups is usually quite low, so you know most of your donations will go where they are intended to go. Also, places like this welcome donations of goods, rather than just cash. Canned food, etc.

I have worked at a food bank before and I know it's hard work but it's the best kind of work you will ever do. It just feels good and you will meet all kinds of top quality human beings.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
most people huff and puff and stick out their chest because they wrote a 25 dollar check and threw it in the mail. they then act like they saved the world.

the only effort they put in to help someone was a whole 30 seconds of their life, and then passed the buck.

true charity starts at home and helping someone directly, it doesn't have to be a bum but could be a struggling family whose kids don't have proper winter shoes.

a kind gesture like knocking on their door and being honest and sincerely concerned, without acting superior or condescending, basically helping out like a friend is worth more than any 25 donation.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
most people huff and puff and stick out their chest because they wrote a 25 dollar check and threw it in the mail. they then act like they saved the world.

the only effort they put in to help someone was a whole 30 seconds of their life, and then passed the buck.

true charity starts at home and helping someone directly, it doesn't have to be a bum but could be a struggling family whose kids don't have proper winter shoes.

a kind gesture like knocking on their door and being honest and sincerely concerned, without acting superior or condescending, basically helping out like a friend is worth more than any 25 donation.

I don't know that you can say "most" people do what you described. I can say that sending $25 to a local charity you are familiar with will typically get passed on to those in need. Sticking your chest out and huffing/puffing over a $25 donation would indicate an individual who cares more about what they've done than what they're donation is doing.

I'm not knocking you but merely replying as it reads. Text is a bitch since it is only text and doesn't allow the full intent of the author to be revealed.

I see the goodness in your heart from your post and agree about keeping our charity local. Spending billions of taxpayer money to help other countries when we have millions here in need always gets my blood pressure up.

Star for you.
edit on 23-1-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

Star and Flag for sure!

My take is this perverted sense of entitlement these so-called "CEOs" seem to have, while they think working hard to get the title is their entitlement to a six figure income-in and of itself, they mistakenly misinterpret just what "non-profit" means.

You don't see me turning-in a time-card when I'm volunteering at the local mission. I sign the log book, and I maintain my normal gainful employment.

I find it deplorable and absolutely unacceptable.

I guess if it has "9-11" in it's name, it's supposed to mean you get over-compensated---if you're hand is in the pot...

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

The article has a list of salaries. You thing the salaries are way out of line. I here this all the time about some government personnel and other public figures. So what should their salaries actually be?

Don't forget, this is an organization that oversees the expenditure of 100's of millions of dollars. Located in New York City.

What do you think is a fair salary and why?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by hooper

Hooper ~

For the first time.. I have to go with the truthers on this one. Although, this is not a conspiracy and actually shouldn't even be in this forum.

These salaries IMO are through the roof.

* Joe Daniels, President: $371,307

* Alice Greenwald, Executive VP for Programs: $351,100

* Joan Gerner, Executive VP, Capital Planning (Left in Spring 2010): $337,143

* Cathy Blaney, Executive VP, Development: $322,292

* David Langford, CFO: $224,113

* Luis Mendes, VP Design and Construction: $221,429

* Lynn Rasic, Senior VP, Public Affairs: $214,270

* Noelle Lillien, General Counsel: $193,316

* Suany Chough, Senior Adviser, Design Construction and Planning: $190,831

* Allison Bailey, Chief of Staff to President: $171,417

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Six Sigma

In New York County a equipment operator (group 2) federal prevailing wage working 40 hours a week for one year, salary = $129,750. Thats a guy operating a backhoe. A tower crane operator is $154,000 a year. Thats just straight time, no overtime. Its not unusual for elevator mechanics and electricians to make upwards of $190,000 a year.

The museum is a multi million dollar operation, the president is responsible to raise millions of dollars in donations. To most Americans these salaries may seem incredible. But most Americans don't live in and around New York City. Just trying to give a little perspective.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by hooper

In New York County a equipment operator (group 2) federal prevailing wage working 40 hours a week for one year, salary = $129,750. Thats a guy operating a backhoe. A tower crane operator is $154,000 a year. Thats just straight time, no overtime. Its not unusual for elevator mechanics and electricians to make upwards of $190,000 a year.

The museum is a multi million dollar operation, the president is responsible to raise millions of dollars in donations. To most Americans these salaries may seem incredible. But most Americans don't live in and around New York City. Just trying to give a little perspective.

Yeah... after I sent it, I was thinking about the Unions in NYC. I was opening a large building right at Ground Zero and was shocked at the costs of the trades. Those elevator operators make a killing! They were charging me IIRC 5K a week. This was for straight time for a guy to push buttons on the elevators because the CO was not issued.

So, although I still think the salaries are inflated, I have to agree that they are in line with the other inflated salaries in the city.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Yeah, there was an issue with the Joint Bridge Toll Commission not to long ago and the papers reported that a lawyer was getting something like $103,000 a year and they made it sound like some big deal. But back to New York, yes salaries are inflated because everything else is inflated. $50 a day to park, million dollar one bedroom arpartments, $5 for a coffee. I remember over 20 years ago my sister was a part time telephone operator in a small upscale hotel and was making almost $20 an hour.

$200,000 a year may sound like a King's ransom in sections of Indiana or West Virginia but in Manhattan that barely qualifies you to buy an 800 square foot apartment.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by hooper

Yeah, there was an issue with the Joint Bridge Toll Commission not to long ago and the papers reported that a lawyer was getting something like $103,000 a year and they made it sound like some big deal. But back to New York, yes salaries are inflated because everything else is inflated. $50 a day to park, million dollar one bedroom arpartments, $5 for a coffee. I remember over 20 years ago my sister was a part time telephone operator in a small upscale hotel and was making almost $20 an hour.

$200,000 a year may sound like a King's ransom in sections of Indiana or West Virginia but in Manhattan that barely qualifies you to buy an 800 square foot apartment.

So true... I was asked to help in NYC and being from Boston, I thought I saw high prices. What a shock! I was walking on Lexington St. Near G.C.S. and the guy I was with had to get himself some cigs. He came out of the little hole in the wall store... they charged him 11 dollars for the pack! I kid you not.

I was asked to transfer to the property I was opening... I would have had to commute from Connecticut.. Six figures does not get you anything there! So, here in Boston I stay... 42 dollars a day to park here!!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
11 Staff @ 170k = 1.87 million $
4 Execs @ 320k = 1.28 million $
1 Pres. @ 370k

-----------------------------------------
3.47 million on 16 people.......

Couldn't this 3.47 million have been put to better use?
Like, to families of victims?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I agree that it SEEMS very high, but lets look at some number.

www.bls.gov...

Here, you will find this.

Manhattan's average weekly wage during the first quarter of 2010 was more than two and a half times the national average-$2,404 compared to $889.

So, we know that people in Manhattan make substantially more than elsewhere. Reason is simple. To live in Manhattan, you need lots of money. People that have lots of money, are executives and such. Where might you find lots of executives? Manhattan.

While I think that their income seems high, it's really not.

new topics

top topics

join