It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its Official Now: Radiation from Your Cell Phone May be Killing You

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Interesting.

Prions. I will look into this and see what I find.

Thanks for the information.

Oh and Helig tell the guy who is afraid of Microwave Ovens that they put shielding inside of it to prevent outside things from being cooked by them. That's why we don't get cooked for standing right in front of it lol.
*(Let me guess you tell him this EVERY day ?? LOL!)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Well that solves everything.

In 2012 our phones are all going to cook our brains and turn our testicals into microwave burgers

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyscotsdude

You know the Whole worlds going to hell When its safer INSIDE your microwave

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by totalmetal

Well I doubt this will much change cell phone usage. Cell phones are so ingrained into our society and daily lives now people will just have to deal with the effects.

I know. Sadly. And my own daughter won't listen either. She even goes tanning!

[Only sort of tongue-in-cheek.]

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Thank you. :bow:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Whyhi

That study was industry funded and inherently suspect.

The truth is radiation can cause proteins to misfold into toxic shapes (prions), and such misfolded proteins are implicated in cancer - as well as a host of other diseases.

In addition to genetic causes of protein misfolding, it is believed that environmental insults, either physical (heat, pressure, radiation) ...cause proteins to misfold into toxic shapes.

The Prion Link to Cancer:

...many links have been found between prions and various types of cancer. In 2009, researchers found a prion biomarker for pancreatic cancer (Li et al., 2009) and in another report it was demonstrated that prion protein (PrP) antibodies slowed the rate of tumor growth in colon cancer (McEwan et al., 2009).

(In case you missed it.)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Radiation can do that?
Better not go outside, or inside... light is radiation.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyscotsdude

That sooo reminds me of that episode of South Park where Stan Marsh tries to get cancer so he can get medicinal pot, he ends up putting his balls in the microwave, it works and next thing he's bouncing around on them like space hoppers!

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I can hear the commercials now.

Hey do you want cancer! No problem. There is an app for that.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

Radiation can do that?

Uh huh.

Better not go outside, or inside... light is radiation.

Hence the booming industry for suntan products with UV filters. And sunglasses that filter UV rays. And, and and...

Some basics: Ultraviolet radiation and skin cancer: molecular mechanisms.

Every living organism on the surface of the earth is exposed to the ultraviolet (UV) fraction of the sunlight. This electromagnetic energy has both life-giving and life-endangering effects. UV radiation can damage DNA and thus mutagenize several genes involved in the development of the skin cancer. The presence of typical signature of UV-induced mutations on these genes indicates that the ultraviolet-B part of sunlight is responsible for the evolution of cutaneous carcinogenesis. During this process, variable alterations of the oncogenic, tumor-suppressive, and cell-cycle control signaling pathways occur. These pathways include (a) mutated PTCH (in the mitogenic Sonic Hedgehog pathway) and mutated p53 tumor-suppressor gene in basal cell carcinomas, (b) an activated mitogenic ras pathway and mutated p53 in squamous cell carcinomas, and (c) an activated ras pathway, inactive p16, and p53 tumor suppressors in melanomas. This review presents background information about the skin optics, UV radiation, and molecular events involved in photocarcinogenesis.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

It's an odd one isn't it, we need sunlight to produce vitamin D(?) yet it can mutate our cells and cause nasty growths.

One thing which bugs me, cancer seems to be a 20th century thing, or at least the highest cases seem to be from the mid 20th century onwards, right when we started testing nuclear devices and building power plants / re-processing plants.

Sellafield, near me is one of the largest reprocessing plants in the world (or it was) and childhood leukaemia in the surrounding villages went skyrocketing, in fact in 1957 ( I think) there was a major fire which released a whole heap of nastiness into the atmosphere, almost on par with Chernobyl.

Now I'm not the big conspiracy theorist, I like to look at facts to draw a conclusion, and I can't help but wonder if blaming mobile phones and such like is just trying to cover up for all the crap our governments blew in our faces during those periods.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I hate cell phones!!! I hardly use mine except for emergencies. I got along fine without them for 40 years and can't understand why people use them like they're another part of their body. I hate answering the phone at home...(in-laws call 24/7) is just one of the reasons. "Texting" forget it, don't even know how to do it. I still don't know how guys can text so fast when the keys are so small.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Wait. So you are telling me that if I keep my cell phone in my pocket, it will cook my nads and I won't have to wear rubbers????

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

One thing which bugs me, cancer seems to be a 20th century thing, or at least the highest cases seem to be from the mid 20th century onwards, right when we started testing nuclear devices and building power plants / re-processing plants.

Yes, cancer is spreading like wildfire - and it's recent. The spread coincides with agricultural- and food industry growth - not just the environmental assaults you identify.

HINT - nothing spreads that fast and far without an infectious component. Everybody is using the same products, coming from the same facilities, contaminated with the same microbes and other 'agents.'

...Cancer is multi-factorial: environmental changes force mutation, the cancer infection helps determine the direction that mutation goes.

Sellafield, near me is one of the largest reprocessing plants in the world (or it was) and childhood leukaemia in the surrounding villages went skyrocketing, in fact in 1957 ( I think) there was a major fire which released a whole heap of nastiness into the atmosphere, almost on par with Chernobyl.

Obviously a major contributing factor.

Now I'm not the big conspiracy theorist, I like to look at facts to draw a conclusion, and I can't help but wonder if blaming mobile phones and such like is just trying to cover up for all the crap our governments blew in our faces during those periods.

All these assaults work together - to our detriment. ...The game is look for single-cause-and-effect - but life doesn't work that way. It's the whole enchilada that has the effect. ...But researchers are forced to fulfill legal requirements when the epidemiology already tells the tale.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Yes radiation can cause cancer. However the electromagnetic frequency radiation produced in a microwave oven or from a cell phone antenna is non-ionizing and does not cause cells to mutate.
You are confusing the word "radiation". I see this happen often in these topics because when people hear the word radiation they instantly think it's the bad kind. The word has multiple uses and when it comes to microwave radiation it simply means to radiate the radio waves just like a space heater radiates heat or a flashlight radiates light.
edit on 1/23/2011 by darklife because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by darklife

A microwave excites water molecules to produce heat, however you are correct about confusing the word radiation between its different forms.
edit on 23/1/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk

A microwave excites water molecules to produce heat.

Exactly.
The heat produced by radiated power from the antenna of a cellphone (or any high frequency transmitter) in your skin is what's to worry about here. The fact that cellphones transmit so little power to increase the heat noticeably in nearby water molecules (like the side of your head) is good evidence that it's of no harm. Even if your phone does get warm against your head maybe it's time to put the thing down

edit on 1/23/2011 by darklife because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Oh come on, ten minutes on that old phone of mine was all it took to get the ear juices flowing, whilst I agree its most likely harmless, it certainly got uncomfortable, especially a ten minute nagging session off the missus during the summer! One thing I did notice, the phone itself never got warm.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Yes radiation can cause cancer. ...You are confusing the word "radiation".

Erm. No. I'm not confusing radiation. That would be Prof. Girish Kumar, who:

Received the Ph.D. degree from the Electrical Engineering Department, I.I.T. Kanpur in 1983. From 1983 to 1985, was a Research Associate at the Univ. of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada. From 1985 to 1991, was an Assistant Professor in the Electrical Engineering Department at the Univ. of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND, USA. Since 1991, has been an Associate Professor in the Electrical Engineering Department at I.I.T. Bombay. Published more than 80 papers in the national / international journals and conferences.

[Including]:

B. Rawat, G.R. Babu and G. Kumar, "A study of biomedical effects using electromagnetic field concept", Proc. of North Dakota Academy of Science, vol. 41, p. 22, April 1987.

G. Kumar and L. Shafai, "Radiation characteristics and generation of higher order modes of circular microstrip antennas", Electronic Letters, vol. 20, pp. 681 - 683, Aug. 16, 1984.

G. Kumar and K.C. Gupta, "Non - radiating edges and four edges gap - coupled multiple resonator broadband microstrip antennas", IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., vol. AP - 33, pp. 173 - 178, Feb. 1985.

He does seem to have a background in radiation, as well as in non-radiating microstrips, and appears to know the difference, don't you agree? He also has studied the bio-medical impacts of electro-magnetic radiation. Which does indicate some degree of familiarity.

According to a paper published by Kumar, the short-term and long-term affects of radiation include memory loss, sleep disruption, headache, depression, irritability, ill-concentration, and appetite loss. “All are related to changes in electrical activity in the brain. The other effects include Alzheimer’s, Parkinson, DNA damage, irreversible infertility and prostate cancer.

Here's a vid of him speaking. I have a bit of trouble understanding, but you may not.

edit on 23/1/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Partly as a precaution to said effects and partly to stop random calls by a company or the like, I try my best not to give my mobile number out.. unless i have to..

Then I'll do my best to ensure I only use text messages..

If i do need to make a long call, I'll use my ex-directory land line..

But to top all that, i bought a few of these the other week
www.amherst.co.uk...
and am now happily using them instead.. although the range is not great, it's a lot cheaper and a lot less hassle..

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join