It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: Jerusalem Palestinians prefer Israeli control

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

When asked if they preferred to become a citizen of Palestine, with all of the rights and privileges of other citizens of Palestine, or a citizen of Israel, only 30 percent chose Palestinian citizenship – as compared to 35 percent that chose Israeli citizenship. Another 35 percent either had no answer or declined to provide it.

A follow up question asked respondents if “most people in your neighborhood” would prefer to become citizens of Palestine or of Israel: 31percent thought that most people prefer Palestinian citizenship; 39 percent - Israeli citizenship; and 30 percent, once again, declined to answer or said they didn’t know.

When asked if they would move to a different location inside Israel, if their neighborhood became part of Palestine, 40 percent said they were likely to move to Israel, and 37percent said they will not move. In comparison, 27percent said they are likely to move to Palestine if their neighborhood became part of Israel, and 54percent said they will not move.

When asked to provide the top reasons they chose one citizenship over the other, those who chose Israeli citizenship stressed freedom of movement in Israel, higher income, better job opportunities and Israeli health insurance.

Those who chose Palestinian citizenship referred to nationalism and patriotism.

www.haaretz.com...

Surprising to say the least...
Seeing as how neither governments are actually bothered with what the people living there have to say I doubt it would have any effect though.

One question comes to mind though- Would Israel be willing to take in 270,000 Palestinians in order to have all of Jerusalem?

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Eliad

One question comes to mind though- Would Israel be willing to take in 270,000 Palestinians in order to have all of Jerusalem?

I doubt it...

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
was there an option to vote "none of the above?" I wouldn't want to live in Palestine because it is basically an enclosed ghetto, nor would I want to live in Israel where it is illegal to be on the streets without ID and everyone is drafted into the military. Get the heck out of the "holy" land (major emphasis on the quotations surrounding holy)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Yeah, I tend to agree..

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Surprising to say the least...

Not at all, if you study the history. In fact this was the major impetus behind Palestinian opposition to the partition plan. The Palestinian Arabs wanted a single pluralistic state that represented Jews, Muslims, and Christians equally. They were still trying to negotiate this, when the Israelis declared independence. There was still a strong unification movement through the 50's and most of the 60's, when a mic of Arab nationalism and religious fundamnetalism took over and started to kick each other's asses.

Seeing as how neither governments are actually bothered with what the people living there have to say I doubt it would have any effect though.

It's tradition; no one seriously considered the opinions of the Jews or Arabs living in the territory prior to partition, either. Uruguay had a greater say in what happened in the Palestinian Mandate than Palestinian jews and Arabs did!

No.

Not that they're going to have a choice. Either the Israelis and Palestinians integrate peacefully now, or the Israelis and Palestinians will integrate with a hell of a lot of blood. either way, this place is destined to be a single state with both Arabs and Jews.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

I don't know.. I can see a two state solution working out.

Or rather, I can see a two state solution working out better than one state for both.

new topics

top topics

join