It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Afrikaner/Boer/white South African "homeland in South Africa?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Like many other unfortunate promises from the ANC and Mandela in 1994, the promises of an "Afrikaner-state" were seriously considered to placate whites, but were then silently trashed - a bit like the once promised RDP (Reconstruction and Development Program).
However, the dream is alive in the success of Orania. This success cannot be denied, either from the right or the radical left.
For anybody familiar with South Africa (especially the geography), I'd love to know where a wider ethnic-based white state can be created?
Some say it is already happening with a kind of "flocking together" in the Western Cape.
A number of theorists agree with this, and that we should co-operate with the local colored people.
The black peoples never lived here (they'd say) and should be brought back to their tribal lands (which they settled from the Congo, mostly in the 17th century) while all whites and coloreds should be welcomed here.
What is generally agreed upon is that we need a river and a port (access to the sea).
The ANC and their immigrants from African hell-holes (and dictators like Mugabe whom they openly support) can have the rest.
I'd love to hear more on this, or any discussions.
They say Israel is smaller than the Kruger Park (a game reserve).
So, this imaginary state would not take up much space.
Once established it will not be aggressive, but rather philanthropic and defensive.
This is how many see the coming white state.
edit on 23-1-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I'm not sure if there will ever be white state or Boere state.Eugene Terre'blanche as been asking the government for a long time only to get ignored and later killed.Don't think our local black bro's trust us to give us our own little peace of land.

Don't know much of Orania either but it's a shame that we have to separate ourselves from everyone else.Not sure what the reasons are but there are probably a lot.Crime,service delivery and the corruption of the ANC itself would probably rank right at the top.

Just wish we could find some way of living together instead of dividing ourselves from everyone else.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
In Orania you can leave your kids to play after school in the streets, and there is no crime.
Old people can take walks without fear.
The schools are the best.
The only issue is, white people must do all the manual labor themselves.
There are no maids, or car guards or laborers from other races.
Although this is in Afrikaans, it is one view:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Looks good.Looks wonderful actually.Love the idea of feeling safe for a change.

But I'm still not sure if I'd actually move to such a place.I am afrikaans...so no worries on understanding the vid.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SlovenlyGhost

I'm not sure.
Will they have gay rights (well that one tractor farmer might be game)?
When I get sick, will they have ganja?
Unless one can grow it (an old Boereraad) how will I get it?
I heard they accept gay people, but you must not make it a big issue.
They're not going to have a pink-Orania march down the main street!
I recall once in the Huisgenoot (a magazine) they were looking for something like 20 women for young unmarried men.
Only a few stayed.
Nevertheless, some did stay.
As it goes, I also hear there's a poor suburb of town, which they don't show so often.
Orania is a family thing, and you must identify with the Afrikaner language and form of Christianity.
I've also heard of one woman who was made to leave.
It will not be a Volkstaat.
But, their ingenuity, and their labor is inspiring.

I think one cannot turn back time, but the best parts of it could be repeated in a bigger white state.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Well maybe if more people move to Orania things will change.Small communities are always a little superstitious,ect.I know this because I use to live in a small town for a while.And I loved it.

Maybe thats the point...being able to go back to a simpler time.Like you said they have a few inspiring things about them.Liked their flag with the lil boy and his rolled up sleeves.

Would u move to Orania?

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I'd give it a shot, yeah.
I know the language and scenario (our town used to be just like that).
I'm not sure I'd last for ever though.
I also don't like the setting.
It's smack in the center of a dry sub-continent.
The best land is actually around the east coast.
But that's the Nguni tribal land from the Fish River.
Pity they've never bothered to do anything with it, and even the smaller homestead farming is now largely defunct.

I'd say: the Western Cape.
Even from the Overberg (Hermanus) to Namibia.
Cape Town should remain an international city.
We don't need it - and it's a place to go and party.
So, from the Namibian border, (except a Nama reserve) around Cape Town (but including the northern suburbs like Durbanville) to the Orange River in the interior (en route to Orania), and Hermanus.
That will give us ports and an international border.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Well the idea sounds good.Western Cape has a lot of benefits and it's close to all the places we wanna be.Like you said.Think it's the best place in South Africa really.Anything east sucks.Durban is okay but not better than the Western Cape.It's close to Namibia,which is awesome.Still a lot of dutch/german people there.Anything inland is a bad idea.Like Lesotho.Doesn't have a port so it's pretty much a useless country.So yeh,I'd have to agree with the western cape being the best option.

Though question still remains will the ANC give our own piece of land?Doubt it.Unless theres some way of them benefiting from it.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

And then there's all the old wannabe Anglo-Boer War type people.
They want it in the old Boere Republics, or they don't want it at all.
It's all very split.
Dammit, just give us a reservation, is it so hard?

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

That's true.

Think they have to forget the idea of getting back the entire South Africa.Anything would do really.All and All it will be a hell of a lot better than nothing.Just saw on the news today another farmer got shot.This time by the police and it looks a lil sketchy to me.Safety wise even living in a place like Orania would be great.If we're allowed to run a piece land on our own terms and think people would flok to it.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

I'm actually seriously considering going to Orania, even if just for a look.
But more seriously, I think as much of the Western Cape as possible should be included.
They can keep Cape Town itself, the Southern suburbs and all that south of the railwayline.
Anything from Parow is ours!
If one has Stellenbosch and the Boland, a part of the Karoo and coast - I mean that's fantastic.
That was the origin of the Afrikaans culture.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Some number-crunching: We're only 4 million people.
Perhaps only one or two million would move to a Volkstaat.
I see there's a census coming up, because nobody actually knows how many people are in SA.
With all the Zimbabweans it must be close to 50 million.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Yeah,Orania wasn't mentioned in one of my own threads by an American.I didn't even know the place existed.
I'd definitely go look at the place.Would be very interesting..U might even end up staying there.

Sure.It's not like we're taking away anything major from them.

I heard it's something like 60mil people living in SA and 3 million white people.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Right now they're encouraging everybody to register for voting.
That should make everybody happy.
But, what are the chances of the white vote making any difference?
It's really a misnomer.

new topics

top topics

join