It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recently found 78 speed records

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I have recently run into at least a hundred or more 78 records and I was wondering if anyone here knew how to go about appraising them. Some I have searched on ebay and have been pleasantly surprised but I can't seem to find a site that really seems helpful. Any 78 enthusiasts or collectors that can help out. I am currently inventorying them. Many thanks in advance.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I don't know but I have 60 or so myself and it would be great to see what they are worth.

I am NOT giving up the dark side of the moon however....well...unless the price was right..

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
First, look for local used vinyl album stores. They may know someone who deals in these.

You might also contact these folks, 78 rpm Collectors Club

Also, a google search for 78 rpm appraisals should turn up a smorgasbord.

I used to collect 33 rpm vinyl. And there used to be a book that listed 78's as well.

Hope that helps a little.

ETA: If any of them are "picture 78's", where all the vinyl is a photograph, these are worth a fair amount if they're in very good or better condition.

edit on 23-1-2011 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Ok let me try this again, for some reason my post didnt post....

I would recommend calling a local record shop and speaking with the owner/manager to find out what they look for when evaluating their records. There may be some other factors than the normal scratches or cover fading.

Or physically take them in and ask for a price to seel them. Whatever the shop owner offers you in actually 40-50 percent of what he will sell them at, So if he offers you 15 bucks for an old Elvis record, he plans on selling it for 30-35 bucks.

If you want to post a few of the titles here, maybe some of us could help search down the values for you as well.
I am sure there are some members here that wouldnt mind helping, I know I wouldnt mind.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
First, look for local used vinyl album stores. They may know someone who deals in these.

You might also contact these folks, 78 rpm Collectors Club

Also, a google search for 78 rpm appraisals should turn up a smorgasbord.

I used to collect 33 rpm vinyl. And there used to be a book that listed 78's as well.

Hope that helps a little.

ETA: If any of them are "picture 78's", where all the vinyl is a photograph, these are worth a fair amount if they're in very good or better condition.

Cool, I appreciate the advice. I googled those terms and a few variations. I t just seems that some of the sites I get seem like low quality. Broken links, etc. But I will keep searching. Thanks again. One of the records I found on ebay for almost 100 bucks, so that kind of motivated me to look further in to what I actually have.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by tribewilder
I don't know but I have 60 or so myself and it would be great to see what they are worth.

I am NOT giving up the dark side of the moon however....well...unless the price was right..

Darkside on 78?!
I know the standard speed nowadays is 33 (large LP) and 45 (small record)...

The 78's I have are dated around 1903 and up. I am still inventorying.

Thanks for all the input guys.

I may bring the list to a vinyl dealer. there are a few I know in my area.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
sorry, i was confused...I do have some 78's but they are mostly comedies and the like...and very fragile, at least more so than the 33's that I had confused them with..

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

Dark side of the moon isn't worth a lot unless it's a Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs (MFSL) edition. In which case, depending on the condition of the cover and the vinyl, it may hold considerable value.

Used record stores usually have extensive contacts. I would definitely try some local stores to see if there is a collector in your area.

On ebay, make sure you base your pricing on what an auction ends for, not what it's listed for. There's a difference. Also pay attention to condition.

S&F BTW

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by tribewilder
sorry, i was confused...I do have some 78's but they are mostly comedies and the like...and very fragile, at least more so than the 33's that I had confused them with..

There is a yahoo group called, "Freecycle" I sincerely suggest you see if your community is doing it.
People on Freecycle offer up things they don't need anymore. And people also post things they are looking for. I have acquired a mac computer a family was giving away cause they got a new one. An entertainment center that another family couldn't sell when moving. And so much more!

I responded to a post about records, but I assumed they would be 33's and 45's, but these things are soooo old. So old that the paper casings are falling apart. I am trying to only inventory them now to avoid unnecessary movement. If you are into acquiring vinyl check it out. You would be surprised what people have to get rid of.

I have actually seen a car posted. I couldn't believe it. A person wrote that they were looking for a car that could get him 2 miles to work, he lost one his jobs, car died, struggling with kids and all. Someone responded and offered up an old car they had. Amazing.

Have a good day.

You inspired me to put on Dark Side right now.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
On ebay, make sure you base your pricing on what an auction ends for, not what it's listed for. There's a difference. Also pay attention to condition.

Noted, Thanks....

Freecycle Network I spoke about earlier.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
This might help you...

www.gracyk.com...
edit on 1/23/2011 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

That realy does help, this thread is quiet interesting.....

top topics

join