It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colin Powell - Problem with Today's Politics is the Pesky Press & People Know What's Going On

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
*that's the title of the YOUTUBE and internet discussions

www.youtube.com...

It's only a 30 second CNN clip. But that's what he says. What was the context? He used the making of the Constitution as an example of what good can happen if the press (and the people) don't know what is going on until it's all over and done with. Soryr Gen. Powell .. but I completely disagree. Back then, and for that purpose, keeping quiet was important. But not now. People now have a right to know what their 'representatives' are doing in DC and they have a right to know what is being thrown at them ... Health Care Reform for instance.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

And to think I used to respect this guy..

He should stop thinking out loud. It's not one of his strengths anymore.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by FlyersFan

He should stop thinking out loud. It's not one of his strengths anymore.

Same here! I have an autographed copy of his "My American Journey" book that I feel is going to up on eBay real soon, then the proceeds will be donated to a charity.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

I really liked him. But I'm getting more and more of a feeling about him that he's either part of the problem ... or ... he's out of the game and is talking like those in charge so they will notice him and so that he can get back into the game (on their side .. not ours).

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
What he says just isn't true. There were people waiting outside who knew exactly what was going on. If memory serves, it is true there were no press in the room, but it still wasn't done in secret, or under cover of night.

At the close of the constitutional convention, a woman asked Benjamin Franklin what type of government the Constitution was bringing into existence. Franklin replied, “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Someone correct me here if I'm wrong, but my point is, there isn't even a comparison to today. But coming from Powell, this is no surprise.
edit on 23-1-2011 by Klassified because: Correction

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
OMG, l always thought he should have been the president. Just goes to show how wrong you can be.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
To be clear. I'm not a fan of Colin Powell since he was a puppet of the Bush regime and LIED about WMD leading us to a needless war in Iraq. In short, he is a liar. But for sake of clarity and inasmuch as you hinted at it in OP, he NEVER SAID "PESKY" PRESS. That was an interpretation of his comments by whoever uploaded the video to YT. I realize we are not allowed to alter headlines from referenced articles but don't think that applies to YT since any yahoo with a phone can upload content.

I might expect that from the National Inquirer but not from a respected member of ATS. My .02¢

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I can't agree or disagree entirely here.

First, I'm not sure what he means by contact politics per se, nor can I seem to find a definition of it. Given that I don't know what that means, I can't comment on whether it can be done in a bipartisan way. Anyone care to illuminate?

He draws a false analogy by citing the founding fathers. They were not running a government, but creating one. Huge difference there, and they themselves would probably disagree with him that a government of the people and by the people should be run out of the glare of light.

We need more transparency, not less, as frustrating and as difficult as it may be at times to let the fourth estate, protected by that same Constitution, do its job or answer to the people, it must be done.

I understand his frustration might come out of the partisan bickering and divisiveness that is preventing progress and priorities in this country, but we can't cast aside our principles just because they're not working correctly. Fix it instead.

Maybe revisiting and redefining the fourth estate would be a very good place to start. Exclude the pundits and talking heads and leave it to the public press as in professional journalists.

Overall, Powell seems to me to be a timid and reluctant shell of the man he used to be. Makes me wonder even more what happened to him during his experience in the Bush administration.

[P.S. FlyersFan, you're right...the title of the YouTube video is inaccurate and sucks. But you have the power to change it for ATS...I beleive it's only in BAN that you have to put the exact headline of the news.]
edit on 1/23/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Eh never mind...off base post
edit on 24-1-2011 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join