It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Jazeera/Guardian co-release the Palestine Papers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Over the last several months, Al Jazeera has been given unhindered access to the largest-ever leak of confidential documents related to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. There are nearly 1,700 files, thousands of pages of diplomatic correspondence detailing the inner workings of the Israeli-Palestinian peace process. These documents – memos, e-mails, maps, minutes from private meetings, accounts of high level exchanges, strategy papers and even power point presentations – date from 1999 to 2010.

The Guardian's Document Dump

This looks to be explosive. Already reading about some seriously groundbreaking concessions that were made by Palestine which Israel rejected as "inadequate."

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
You just have to look at how the boarders have changed over the years to see that Israel has been the bully. Hope this helps in shaming and getting rid of the militants who have been on a program of extermination instead of peace. The place is such a mess, this transparency should help clean it up a bit.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
This is the UK and US hitting back at Mossad in regards to Wikileaks.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
In case anyone's wondering where the conspiracy is:

What's more, the documents blow apart what has been a staple of Israeli public diplomacy: the claim that there is no Palestinian partner. That theme, a refrain of Israeli spokesmen on and off for years, is undone by transcripts which show that there is not only a Palestinian partner but one more accommodating than will surely ever appear again.

Where does this leave the peace process itself? The pessimistic view is that what little life remained in it has now been punched out. On the Palestinian side these revelations are bound to strengthen Hamas, who have long rejected Fatah's strategy of negotiation, arguing that armed resistance is the only way to secure Palestinian statehood. Hamas will now be able to claim that diplomacy not only fails to bring results, it brings national humiliation.

Source

I'd say this is the end of the peace process, and we should keep our TVs tuned in to CNN to watch the final war between these two commence. (I've been obsessed with this conflict since I was 14, for 16 years now, and I've never felt that this final war was imminent, ever. I do now.) Since the Torah, it has been said that neither brother (nation) will rule while the other does, that it will always be the rise of one on the back of the other. The Palestinians have suffered indignities and inhuman conditions for far too long to ignore this affront and not realize the idea of peace with Israel is a pipe dream. Even the most reasonable and peaceful among the Palestinians will not be able to deny there is no route for peace left. This is the end of peace talks.

If Israel succeeds in winning a war between the two, does anyone have a doubt the Temple will be rebuilt? Regardless of whether you think that makes any supernatural difference, do you not see the geopolitical ramifications of such an event? How many Christians would begin preparing for some sort of Armageddon, and how many of those in power would take steps to make sure it happens?

I've heard a lot about the 2012 Olympics and a fake alien invasion......does anyone really think we need all that? Rebuild the temple----mission accomplished. There's criteria for "the coming of the Messiah" and "the Second Coming of Christ" (depending on your religion). Both are pretty easy to accomplish today, especially for the 1st-coming-Messiah. Rebuild the temple, coin Israeli money, rule in peace. You can fake a DNA line to David, and by now we're probably all related to him somehow anyways. Fulfilling that prophecy will take care of the vast majority of the world's population in areas where they have any personal power over anything (China, on the other hand, needs no further control over their people, so the irrelevancy of this prophecy to their lives doesn't affect a NWO takeover). The atheists and others in the West will be swept under the wave of fanatics; their logic and lack of panic won't affect much.

I'm re-packing my bug-out bag, I don't know about you. This might be the sign some of us have been waiting for for ages.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

I hope so. It's about time we stopped being played. Sorry, but when they stole nuclear material from the Savannah River site, they ruined any credibility they had with us. They're in it for no one but themselves.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Sorry, nunya...didn't find your thread when I searched my BAN thread...clearly my arguments didn't hit the right combination. Anyway, for additional commentary and some video posters here might also want to check this thread www.abovetopsecret.com... Too bad, we can't combine them.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Maybe that can be done by a mod. It would just be a shame to have two different conversations going in, both with good info, and have them disconnected. AFAIK, we have to go by the "who started the thread first" rule when it comes to this kind of situation. That's cool by me, because I'm home all day and will be watching this situation constantly.

(And besides, it's not really "Alternative" news, rather Political news, so I wouldn't want someone to miss your input to the discussion because they're looking for the political news)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

Technically, geopolitical but also general. The news categories seem limited at times, but I should have searched on Palestine Papers but didn't think to. Again, apologies. Maybe SO can make a magical combine thread function. This place could probably use one.

As to the topic, watching this unfold is pretty fascinating. The methods, motivations, reactions, and spin. My advice is to see which news outlets say what...as we all know they are aligned on subfaction liines (neocon/Zionist vs. CFR type)..that could give us some real clues. A lot of them are already saying things like "release in WikiLeaks fashion..." I've been saying for years that the "WikiLeaks fashion" can be both used wisely and abused, if say, for example, countering forces got smart enough to use it for their purposes as well. That was pretty obvious and inevitable.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

For real. I've been watching some of the Twitter reactions from people, and some are actually audacious enough to suggest these papers help ISRAEL's cause! It just blows my mind, the amount of spin and even outright denial and lunacy when it comes to assessing the Palestinian/Israeli situation. I just don't understand why it's so confusing and ambiguous to some people. Facts are facts, and who bombed who and killed who and blockaded who and whatnot is empirical. But somehow, it gets spun into victim-blaming and "uncertainty." Frustrating.

ETA: what do you think the larger geopolitical ramifications of this will be? What do you think of my assessment of what will happen because of this (posted above)? And you're right, this "politics" subject is more like "everyone should be interested in this regional issue because it affects all of us" but I guess "geopolitical" is the closest thing to that, LOL.
edit on 24-1-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Some threads on ATS that give some good recent background on the Israeli/Palestinian situation:

IDF abducting Palestinian child

Ruling on Flotilla raid

Israel about to strike Lebanon/Iran?

Orthodox Israeli synagogue pamphlets call for death camps

Israel favored by the world?

Kudos to the authors of these threads! Great discussion!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
BREAKING:
Palestinian protesters vandalize Al Jazeera offices in Ramallah

Hundreds of Palestinians loyal to President Mahmoud Abbas broke into Al-Jazeera's offices in the West Bank city of Ramallah on Monday, a day after the media agency released two decades of secret information known as the Palestine papers. About 250 Abbas loyalists rallied in support of the president in front of the building housing the local Al-Jazeera office on the seventh and eighth floors. A small group climbed the stairs to the station's offices, where they tried to break in. They did succeed in shattering security cameras, glass door panels and station logos.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Palestine Papers leak could fuel grassroots unrest

The papers are likely to have an impact at grassroots level, both in Palestinian territories and perhaps across the region, possibly influenced by the popular unrest seen in nearby Jordan and Tunisia. It is widely believed that Hamas will benefit, as the pervasive discontent with existing leaderships continues. Palestinian officials are now accusing Al-Jazeera of distortion and are casting doubts over the papers' authenticity. However, with over 1,600 documents about to be made public, any effect will be difficult to contain.

Lebanon is also about to explode any second in today's "Day of rage." This could help fuel any protests and violence that might spring up today in Palestine, especially in Gaza or the West Bank, as people there are already ready to overthrow the PA. These documents only fuel that.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

No, the change in the border over the decades has not been because Israel is a bully.

Each change in the border has been when Israel was attacked by coalitions of nations, and won additional territory as they are much more efficient fighters.

Border changes? Fighting efficiency when attacked.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
theres leaks everywhere these days... i think the vessel is cracking......

kx

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by FarArcher

Are you referring to OFFICIAL border changes, or the ever-expanding "settlement" borders, in which a small group of Israelis go into PALESTINIAN territory, build houses, and then "unofficially" annex those neighborhoods into Israel? Because that's the borders I think the poster was referring to.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by FarArcher
reply to post by kwakakev

No, the change in the border over the decades has not been because Israel is a bully.

Each change in the border has been when Israel was attacked by coalitions of nations, and won additional territory as they are much more efficient fighters.

Border changes? Fighting efficiency when attacked.

rubbish....
Israel wants palastine in a state of near collapse. This has been shown in the cable gates and the palastine papers.
They are instigating much of the trouble to achieve political ends...ie land grabs....

kx

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Latest round of documents are out! Some details:

• Condoleezza Rice, secretary of state under George Bush, suggested in 2008 Palestinian refugees could be resettled in south America. "Maybe we will be able to find countries that can contribute in kind," she said. "Chile, Argentina, etc."

• Livni told Palestinian negotiators in 2007 that she was against international law and insisted that it could not be included in terms of reference for the talks: "I was the minister of justice", she said. "But I am against law – international law in particular."

Return of only 10,000 refugees out of 5 million was part of peace talks

Relocate Palestinians to LATIN AMERICA?!?!?! Are we just playing a big game of Global Musical Chairs here? Move millions from Europe to Palestine, then millions from Palestine to Latin America......that makes sense.....

ETA: Even MORE disgusting:

In several areas, Livni pressed for Arab citizens of Israel to be included in a future Palestinian state as part of a land-swap deal – raising the controversial spectre of "transfer". In other words, shifting Palestinians from one state to another without their consent – a demand backed in its wholesale form by rightwing nationalists.

Livni explained privately that there are "some Palestinian villages located on both sides of the 1967 line about which we need to have an answer, such as Beit Safafa, Barta'a, Baqa al-Sharqiya and Baqa al-Gharbiya". Earlier, she had made clear that such swaps also meant "the swap of the inhabitants". But Palestinian negotiators rejected the proposal.

She backs the forcible removal of YET MORE Palestinians from their homes. This woman is sick. What she wants is ethnic cleansing.
edit on 24-1-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Mods, will you close this thread please? I'm not interested in finding the breaking news, only to have it reposted elsewhere an hour later. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Here's an update to this story... Abbas has disbanded the entire peace negotiation unit...

reuters.com

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has decided to disband the Negotiations Support Unit (NSU) which provided him with technical help during long-running peace talks with Israel, an official said on Monday.

The decision was made after it was discovered that employees in the unit were behind the leak of hundreds of documents to the television station al Jazeera which embarrassed Abbas's administration.

The discovery prompted the resignation at the weekend of the chief Palestinian negotiator, Saeb Erekat, who said he was taking responsibility for the release of about 1,600 secret documents relating to more than a decade of peace maneuvers.

top topics

join