It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exorcism should have an age-restriction!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
It is so bizarre that Western horror movies have various age-restrictions, because they might "scare" children, yet various faiths have full-on exorcism rituals for kids as young as 4-10!!!

Some of the horrendous practices began by US fundamentalists in Africa have now created entire classes of homeless kids in Nigeria - who are accused of being witches by their own pastors, churches and parents.
en.wikipedia.org...
This practice has now taken root in SA, and infants and toddlers are accused of witchcraft.

The traditionally white Dutch Reformed Church ("NG Kerk" in Afrikaans) has always stood against "charismatic madness".
However, now some Dominees (pastors) have introduced American practices.
In one church children as young as 4-10 are said to be vomiting, breaking wind and climbing walls due to being possessed by demons.
Ds. Pieter Fourie anoints them with olive oil, and claims demons come from African masks, Buddha statues and Islamic carpets.
(One can translate, or see images: www.rapport.co.za...).

I don't think it's fair on children to scare them like that.
Neither can children follow Christian philosophy and overcome their "original sin" until they are mentally ready to make a choice.
When is that by the way?
When can a convert choose a religion with a sound mind?
It's just shocking.

edit on 23-1-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I'd say the age has to be at least 13.
Before that, how can a child in "original sin" make a choice and understand this choice?
If a child throws a tantrum, one can hardly speak of "demons".
Cults and religions have always been two-faced - they want to restrict some material, but when The Passion came out, TBN kinda encouraged people to take their underage kids to see a 16-rated movie.
Corporal punishment is legally banned.
However, in many Christian schools here it is still going on.
Are they teaching the law by breaking the law?

I'd say the spooky Christian horror genre should come with an age restriction, and a fine to anyone who breaks it.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
What the Dominee (pastor) is doing is not that strange, compared to my Christian days.
But, looking at him in Rapport (above) he looks too fat and unhealthy to be a pastor?
Isn't there some religious law concerning that?
How can a rotund American fattie like John Hagee wobble about the TBN stage and talk about fasting, and sin making people unhealthy?
Shouldn't he have a demon of gluttony or something removed?

I guess that appeals to equally fat people.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

I've always wondered - how can people call themselves "missionaries" and preach stuff in areas already rife with local beliefs?
Surely they must know what they are doing?
It seems now we need missionaries to save the victims of other missionaries (who cause trouble and then go home to their lucrative ministries).
It makes me think that official USA Christianity is demonic, and all it spreads is darkness.
Every tree will be known by its fruit, and their tree is causing suffering.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I think that if one encourages loads of kids, one should also encourage a system that educates them, and that doesn't just spew out supernaturalism and pseudo-science.
NO arithmetic or spelling and grammar - but they can all wobble like jellies and tell you about Satan, and demons, and even quote 2 Bible authors.
And I'm talking about about people with some of the most expensive schools!

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Star and flag, this needs to come out in the open. First of all, to be a witch, it has been said and written many times that one must study everything they can find on witchcraft for one full year before they can call themselves a witch. I little kid in Africa not only cannot find such material, it is sometimes hard to find here in America, out of the big city, and second of all, the very word "Witch" means, one who is wise." It doesn't mean they are possessed by demons, in fact, if anyone besides me has ever noticed, it is only Christians and Catholics that get possessed anyway. This is child abuse in the broadest sense, and in my mind these so called Christian preachers should be executed for murdering children, even if the parents do the actual killing, for the Preacher and the other "good Christians" are the ones that instigate it in the first place. Christians should be banned from third world Nations, they do enough harm right here in the US.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Ooh. Cool.
An exorcism thread......

uh.

Nope.

Just another Christian bashing thread.

Moving on.....

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

I have seen and heard material from here, and people are tired of pastors willy-nilly accusing them of being witches.
I think this type of behavior is driving people towards Islam.
I don't mind what people choose, but I prefer Christianity and an animist population will choose the faith that causes the least problems.
Maybe some pagans don't want to hear this, but Christianity became dominant in Europe over paganism, because paganism had some lacks.
It also spread because it was tolerant of certain habits.
This kind of Christianity is more animism in another form, and it's doing much harm.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Not totally related but related to the exorcism theme. Personally , I'm skeptical about the whole thing but I find it funny when other skeptics just say it's an acute mental illness that appears and goes away. I mean I think that makes sense in some cases but what about the other ones were the possessed float ten feet off the bed or the ones the room temperature goes down to like thirty degrees in the summer?

What mental illness gives you the ability to control the weather and levitate exactly? Because if it exist ,I wouldn't mind having it.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Reptius

Well if you have proof of levitation or weather-control that would be fantastic.
Didn't we learn from Moses and the Egyptian magicians that black magic can copy Jehova's white magic?
So if God can make these fatties levitate, then anything is possible.
Is it exposing or ridiculing scams, or being anti-Christian?
I'd say the focus is on exposing frauds, and not undermining Christianity.
Generally, I cannot believe that anyone would call this "Christian bashing", unless you believe that small children must be exorcised.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Once you have excluded all of the psychological explanations what do you have left??? Some sort of evil spirit possession. The only problem is that they never exhaust all of the psychological explanations. Poor kids. I have seen what has been done in Nigeria by fundamentalist Xtians. Luckily a humane Xtian has tried to intervent in Nigeria,

As if africa doesn't have enough problems!

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

I beg to differ. some things can rum in families so the study argument may work with western neopagans but no one else. The world is bigger than that.

I also disagree about Only Xtians etc being possessed. Moslems and jews get possessed as do atheists. True posession is a universal expereince.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I'm not against Christianity, and I hate the term "fundamentalist".

I think these people are not Christian, but some kind of agents to cause trouble, or idiots.

I read historians (quite neutral writers) who say that at first Christianity was superior to paganism in certain ways.
What we have nowadays with Europeans is neo-paganism, few would actually go back to historical paganism.
I'd say people were glad to be rid of it.
Christianity seemed a state of being sure of salvation, and no longer performing horrible sacrifices.
It didn't cause the dark ages, but allowed people to survive.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
I'm not against Christianity, and I hate the term "fundamentalist".

I think these people are not Christian, but some kind of agents to cause trouble, or idiots.

I read historians (quite neutral writers) who say that at first Christianity was superior to paganism in certain ways.
What we have nowadays with Europeans is neo-paganism, few would actually go back to historical paganism

Well I feel it necessary to give Xtians the common decency of separating out those who take a literalist view of the bible from those who take a more sophisticated and metaphorical view. The former I call fundamentalists. I have no problem with that. When you have grown up and seen a number of fundamentalist sects close up it is only a slight stretch to see them going to perform child exorcisms. It is a mixture of always taking a literal view with a certain social mindset set that says "Spare the rod and spoil the child" - naturally taken to excess in the sense of barbarous conduct to the kids to cleanse them of perceived evil.

To me there is no need to invoke a contorted conspiracy theory over these wrong doings.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I think if people had to see what true, historical pagans do, or did - it will quickly become clear why Christianity triumphed (although it also incorporated a lot).

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

In this documentary made by an Australian team, a good idea is given of original "paganism".
A lot of the traditional healers shown are "sangomas" and "nyangas".
They are actually a force for good, and do not harm people.
Many of them may even attend church, and work with doctors and clinics.
However, the money is causing some to become gray and black witches.
And the surprise is - I've heard it said some even have rich white customers in politics and religion and in the West.
The majority of normal sangomas will sacrifice a goat or a chicken.
Sometimes even a bull.
The screaming of that animal is a call to the spirits.
They say the same is true for black magic.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I still think children should be kept from hardcore religion.
A lot of religions concern cultural and sexual morality.

It is two-faced to keep kids from sex, and then expose them to "though shalt not" rules about sex.
I'd say religious material should observe the same discretion that it demands from society.

new topics

top topics

join