It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: Cop repeatedly punching a 53 year old woman in the face

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
those were sissy punches. If you know anything about it. All elbow movement no body or shoulder force, and he is already in the process of pulling his hand back before he even hits.

Probably didnt even leave a bruise or welt and thats why you dont see a pic of the gal, because she looks 100% fine and it would ruin her media case if it turns out she was hardly hit.

pulling the im a dainty woman card, is really no different then pulling out the race card. Is it equal opportunity world or not?

Im all for gettin bad cops off the street. But for all he knows this potential 'under the influencer' has a gun, knife, or does intend to run em over. Put yourself in his shoes, nobody likes the cops. And why do most people run? Cuz theyre hiding something. Like he said, those punches were just a psychological distraction. If this had been a 40 year old dude drunk wed never even have seen this vid.

edit on 24-1-2011 by Wademus because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-1-2011 by Wademus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

My husband works with these same guys all the time, and the gentleman was already cuffed and lying on the ground. As I said, he was disoriented and not a threat to anyone. My husband was standing and talking with the police officers when he bent down and asked if he were a diabetic - with the permission of the officer in charge. They did not abuse this man even though they suspected him of being intoxicated, and even though he did not stop right away when they tried to pull him over.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigrex

Originally posted by CJCSuperman
Cops are absolutely ridiculous in situations like this. My stepfather and I got in a fight with our neighbors and the police were called. My stepfather was punched in the nose by my neighbor and his face was a bloody mess. When the cops arrived my neighbors claimed that I pulled out a knife on them but I had no knife nor did my stepfather. The cops claimed they couldn't make any arrests because they "didn't see what happened" they said "anything could have happened to my stepfather's face". After they said these things my stepfather was irate and said it was BS. As soon as he swore the police arrested him for "disorderly conduct" and smashed his face (which was already a mess) onto one of their cruisers. They then turned to me and said they were arresting me for "assault with a deadly weapon" (which didn't exist) I told them to search me and everything, but they refused to my surprise. They arrested me with a little bit of resistance (I was NOT getting MY face smashed on the cruiser).

This is one example of the cops getting mad because someone was using swear words and deciding to assault them because of it and make two bogus arrests that they claimed just minutes before that they couldn't make because they "didn't see it happen".

Maybe most cops are good but there are some real jerks too INCLUDING THIS ONE. Punching an old lady in the face multiple times and then tasing her in this situation is absolutely RIDICULOUS!!!

I don't want to put you on the spot sir, but I'm wondering if your stepfather is a minority race while the cops were white as were the neighbors, that isn't necessarily the case, however I think the likelihood of the situation you are describing goes up if they are dealing with minorities. I don't really like attorneys but if I were one I wouldn't mind representing victims in such cases.

No this is not a case of race. My stepfather, my neighbors, and I are all white. If this happened in the South then maybe... but this happened in MA

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
It's pretty scary to see how many people on ATS are in favor of cops beating an old lady--even if she is guilty (innocent until proven?)....I agree: if you do the crime, pay the time....that doesn't include being beaten by cops twice your size. Because no charges were filed, this appears to be just another act of police terror.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I for one am not going to pick sides on this. Maybe she deserved it and maybe she didn't, maybe he's aggressive or maybe he's already lost a loved one to drunk driving like so many of us unfortunately have. But people should realize something that could so easily change the world for good.

With every story ever told on earth, there are two sides. And there is an opposite emotion for every emotion. So it is quite understandable for people to be emotionally driven to their point of views but there is no right or wrong answer. There is only the very small gray zone where the two sides meet. And if everyone would stop trying to argue and win their side and convert people to their side, and rather try to settle in this gray zone, there wouldn't be 22 pages of debate, there wouldn't be an American society so divided on so many effin' subjects.

Don't you love it when you see a 10 second snippet of a video and immediatly judge the person on it? THIS IS WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE WORLD, judging people instantly with absolutely no reason. So everyone just stop judging the cop or the woman - as a matter of fact don't judge others in general. The world could be a much happier place if everyone could just apply this.

Think about it.

-Jimmy-

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

If I we're stupid enough to evade police while drunk driving, I'd feel very lucky to just get punched in the face 7-8 times instead of taking a bullet. They could have killed her...

edit on 24-1-2011 by wrkn4livn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by CJCSuperman

The fact that you and your stepdad got into a brawl with your neighbors says enough for me.
Was the cops show cameras in tote?

You expect cops to walk into a situation and believe you over your neighbor?
Why is that? Are you pure as the wind driven snow?
I again fall back onto the above statement.

Well I assume that you are ASSUMING that I am some redneck in a trailer park with these comments. Anyways... we were in an argument with my neighbors because my dog got loose and they had previously threatened my dog's life. My stepfather was actually pushing me away from my neighbor and trying to diffuse the situation. Next thing I know my neighbor just unexpectedly punches my stepfather right in the nose.

As far as the expecting the cops to believe me etc. I did not say that. I actually said what they said which was that they didn't see anything so they couldn't do anything. Well if that was the case then NO arrests should have been made AT ALL and they should have just LEFT or at LEAST made sure my stepfather's nose was OK being public servants and all.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

As far as a lesser included offenses, you are correct, but a little off. If a person breaks into a house when noone is home, they are charged with burglary. A lesser included offense of that is criminal tresspassing. They can only be charged with one or the other, not both, since criminal tresspassing is a lesser included offense in the burglary (the suspect had to tresspass to gain entry to the residence).

Trespass wouldn't apply as lesser & included (not in Ca anyway)...it contradicts the felony burglary charge.

Burglary, 459PC, requires the suspect enter a specified location with INTENT: "..to commit grand or petty larceny or any felony..." 602/602.5 trespass is entering a location MINUS intent to steal / commit a felony.. like if a homeless person broke in to a house to avoid freezing.. their intent upon entering was to be warm. I guess one could argue the suspect was stealing gas or electricity if they used resources to run a heater.. but that's a determination for a DDA/City Atty.

The DDA/City atty could lower felony 459 charges to 602/602.5PC for a plea...

A burglar enters with intent to commit grand or petty larceny or any felony, a trespasser enters without intent to commit a crime...

www.leginfo.ca.gov...
602PC
Except as provided in subdivision (u), subdivision (v),
subdivision (x), and Section 602.8, every person who willfully
commits a trespass by any of the following acts is guilty of a
misdemeanor:

(o) Refusing or failing to leave land, real property, or
structures belonging to or lawfully occupied by another and not open
to the general public, upon being requested to leave by (1) a peace
officer at the request of the owner, the owner's agent, or the person
in lawful possession, and upon being informed by the peace officer
that he or she is acting at the request of the owner, the owner's
agent, or the person in lawful possession, or (2) the owner, the
owner's agent, or the person in lawful possession.

459. Every person who enters any house, room, apartment, tenement,
shop, warehouse, store, mill, barn, stable, outhouse or other
building, tent, vessel, as defined in Section 21 of the Harbors and
Navigation Code, floating home, as defined in subdivision (d) of
Section 18075.55 of the Health and Safety Code, railroad car, locked
or sealed cargo container, whether or not mounted on a vehicle,
trailer coach, as defined in Section 635 of the Vehicle Code, any
house car, as defined in Section 362 of the Vehicle Code, inhabited
camper, as defined in Section 243 of the Vehicle Code, vehicle as
defined by the Vehicle Code, when the doors are locked, aircraft as
defined by Section 21012 of the Public Utilities Code, or mine or any
underground portion thereof, with intent to commit grand or petit
larceny or any felony is guilty of burglary.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
After watching the video and trying to put myself in that situation, I find it hard to believe that the officer in question did not use excessive force. That man had to out weigh that lady by 100 lbs, and five or six punches to the face give me a break. She was drunk driving not killing kids the punishment should fit the crime. Police demand respect from citizens when in fact they show no respect themselves to the public. The police in this country have become judge, jury and executioner they ride around with the “I’m above the law attitude.” The car was boxed in she was not going anywhere, wonder how many times he got his butt kicked in school?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
If you run from the police - don't cry about what happens when they catch you .. use your common sense.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by GovtFlu

Yeah this is going to boil down to the differences in State Law. Where I am, you can unknowingly tresspass, which is an infraction and not a misdameanor. Criminal tresspass is the misdameanor charge. Burglary in this state requires a person to knowingly enter property that does not belong to them with knowledge they should not be present.

The moment they make entry into a residence, it moves the charge up to burglary. Since a burglary charge requires a person be present in a residence they do not have authority to be in, the lesser included offense is the tresspass.

Same holds in my state with DWI and causing a fatality accident. They can be charged with the DWI, or the jurder charge. Because of the circumstances involving the death, DWI is the lesser included offense.

Like I was saying, I meant no disrespect when replying to your post, nor was I making an effort to try to call you out on anything. It does allow other in this thread though to see how even a law enforcement perspective can be off because of State Laws.

Thanks for replying.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Zoyd23

this 53 year old woman put other peoples lives in danger by running from law enforcement.
age means nothing anymore. a 99 year old can be just as dangerous as a 20 year old.
a knife or guns doesn't discriminate. those strikes were fine and it worked. everyone wants to quarterback.
if you have never been in this situation before don't even bother commenting

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by CharlesBronson74

i have to say i would rather get in a fight with a male instead of a woman especially one that is drunk.
any cop will tell you this, drunk women can fight. everyone thinks age plays a factor here, it doesnt at all.
again if you have never been in a situation like this dont bother commenting

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I posted another video of the same incident, only with two camera views, and starting prior to where the first video did.. www.youtube.com... there is the link to the video.

Perhaps punching her was a bit excessive, but when you try to run the cops down with your vehicle, they consider that the same as any other deadly weapon (rightly or wrongly). All things considered, she is dang lucky that a few punches was all she got.

I do not like out of control police behavior, however having worked with and around cops through the years, I am familiar with how they view certain situations, such as someone using a car to try and run them down. What the woman did was wrong, and it was her actions that caused the resulting action of the cops.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Jimmy910130

i respect how you try and take an objective approach to this video. i wish more people would

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Shooting the tires out isn't a good idea? And if it seems like gunshots are fired then scream "I'm shooting the tires!!" And shoot em. That should solve the same problem

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I decided to take a closer look at the video, to determine how it would influence my decision, were I on a jury in an assault case, against the officer. Again, this is based solely on the video segments I have seen here, as I am not aware of the complete videos being available.

The OP video is difficult to examine due to so many edits, but here is what I see.

At the 1:27 mark, the first officer calmly approaches the driver side of the car, fumbling with something with both hands. No indication of his being threatened. The second officer (and the subject of this debate) approaches at about 1:30 and immediately begins attempting to break the window.

To disprove the claims that the officer was punching her because she was still attempting to drive away and was a danger, take a closer look at the video.

1) At 1:48, the woman's vehicle is clearly at a complete stop. It is at this point an officer is seen jumping onto the hood of the woman's car, indicating to me he knew the car was stopped and incapable of continuing to flee (or he is stupid for jumping onto a car he believes is capable of moving).

2) For the duration of the video, and from both angles, the woman's car does not move an inch.

3) Officer Davenport claimed the woman had the accelerator "floored" and the sirens drowned out the engine noise. I have to call that claim into question, with two observations as evidence.

a) If the vehicle was still in forward gear and if the accelerator was "floored" and the only thing preventing the car from moving was the two patrol cars having it blocked, at least one tire would be spinning. That one tire spinning on the pavement would be throwing off a tremendous amount of smoke. However, there is no smoke visible in the video.

b) According to one report, the car is a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am, which is a front wheel drive. Beginning at 2:01, the upper portion of the right front tire and wheel are clearly visible. The spoke of the wheel makes it plainly obvious it is not turning. From what I've read this car does not have a posi-trac differential, however if "floored", the wheel should show some signs of motion, I would think.

I'm sure there are members who are much more knowledgeable than I, on automotive drivetrains. So, I will humbly accept criticism and correction on my assumptions, if proven incorrect.

So, my original opinion stands. The officer should be charged with assault and stand trial.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

She was drunk driving not killing kids the punishment should fit the crime.

I wouldn't wave off or minimize drunk driving like it was a simple traffic offense that doesn't have victims.

Tragically, the 13,470 fatalities in 2006 caused by DUI drivers were slightly higher than the 13,451 fatalities caused by DUI drivers in 1996.

www.duiattorneyhome.com...

I bet, sometime in your time at ATS you have made the statement similar to " You can't judge a group, by the actions of a few."

Of course they're are dirty / violent police. There are countless videos reports proving exactly that.. Everyone is so quick to point out the ever increasing numbers of police brutality cases. Don't let an growing group of few, project the character of the entire group.

Again, of course the police are partially to blame, but I feel society as a whole is starting to get worse and worse, at an increasing rate. These police officers are put under tougher stresses and it is getting worse.

Departments are cutting back hours and personnel.... These cops would have to be robots not to be affected by these changes. I feel these incidents are going to become more frequent, due to the fact that the police are going to become more stressed.. In turn, this will cause the public to become more militant towards them... Cause and effect = It is a vicious cycle.... One action feeds off the other.

There are 3 types of police officers..
1) The "good guy" - he is really under the impression that he can help make a difference.
2) The jock that was a star in High School, only to be 1 in a million in College.. Him being a star athlete in High school, allowed for him to "breeze" through school. He is ill equipped to actually graduate college without athletic support.
3) The kid that was picked on and uses the police officer position to demand respect.

Edit to add most important one.
4) The ex-military police officer... It could go 50/50 - Either a phenomenal cop..... or a complete lunatic.

edit on 1/24/2011 by Resurrectio because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/24/2011 by Resurrectio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Update

UHP trooper punches woman after car chase

OGDEN, Utah (ABC 4 News) – A Utah Highway Patrol trooper is on paid leave resulting from an incident after a car chase in August.

Police say on August 28th 2010, Darla Jo Wright was driving her car erratically and evaded troopers after they attempted to pull her over.

UHP troopers were able to stop the chase by performing a “pit maneuver” that caused Wright’s silver 2000 Pontiac to lose control.

More info has been released from the Troopers report of the incident.

In his police report Davenport stated:

"I used my window punch to break the front window but the window tint stopped the glass from falling out of the frame. I pushed the window in and observed that the suspect was still gripping the wheel with both hands and trying to push our vehicles out of the way. She refused to comply with commands to give us her hands. Due to my close proximity to the suspect and my experience with Taser failure at such close distances I delivered three close hand strikes to her head in an attempt to gain compliance with our commands. I did this to distract and stun her and to stop her from trying to drive off and strike our vehicles or possibly run us over. The strikes worked and we were able to grab her hands. At this time I observed that Trooper Whitehead has deployed his Taser as sometime during the contact."

Davenport is currently on paid administrative leave as UHP continues an internal investigation into the matter.

This is released from the Troopers report. He accounts for the hits to the window, and why the windw required more force than normal to break. He accounts for his actions once the window was breached, talking about Taser failures at close range.

To those not familiar with how Taser works, the probes transmit on the same frequency as the brain to control motor control. The signal from taser is "stronger" than the brain signal, causing the muscle to involuntarily spasm. The effectiveness of the Taser is dependant on penetration and well as the probe spread.

As with any circuit, the path of travel is the path of least resistance between the 2 contact points. In a close hit with probes, the taser can lose effectiveness. That information is supported by data from Taser as well as from reports by Police Agencies.

According the UHP, their is still an internal ivestigation ongoing.

Utah Highway Patrol Spokesman Brian Hyer said UHP could not comment on this specific case but stated an investigation is ongoing, "“We do have the ability and responsibility to hold people accountable for their actions in any case where there may be issues that are serious and we take that responsibility very seriously.”

The Prosecuting attorney for Weber County reviewed the dash cam footage as well as the Troopers actions and came to the conclusion:

The Weber County Attorney’s office looked at the video along with other evidence. The county attorney told ABC 4 he did not see any actions from the trooper that warranted a Class A misdemeanor or felony for him to prosecute.

As far as charges against the suspect.

He (Weber County PA) is in the process of prosecuting Wright for her actions that led to the pursuit.

edit on 24-1-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by Willbert

Actually the Officer stated in his report that the lady refused to roll her window down, she refused to turn the car off. The Officer stated she had the gas pedal floored in an attempt to move the blocking cars.

And I'm to believe an officer?? Because he carries a badge and works for the goverment. He does not work for the citizens. He represents the goverment and is an inforcer.

I don't see the car moving do you? Even if blocked.. why is the car not moving? Oh. thats right.. It was'nt.

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join