It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China's new stealth fighter uses US tech.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

my fault did not read the "source" but yes i could see F117 weapons sys and Head Up Display, aka HUD, take a look and see cnair.top81.cn... i will see if this the right link. it is.. F117? copied flight controls???

edit on 23-1-2011 by bekod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic4life
The future lies with UCAV's.

I can't help but agree with you here.

I would say that all of the nations are wasting $ on developing these types of manned "stealthy" aircraft, it looks like a total waste of resources.

I personally would drop 90% of the budget into developing UCAV tech and improving radar and ECM.

But hey, that's me. And I'm not a country, so.....

edit on 23-1-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
In nine years of R&D, plus the sophisticated weapons systems which the US now deploys.I doubt that the J20 will be the decisive aircraft that the chinese intend it to be.
It has been patently obvious that this fighter would be partly based on US technology, since the chinese compromised the computer systems of several sub contractors working on the F35.and even the raptor probably.....
The cyber spying china has engaged in, against the west, is i believe the most extensive bit of hacking to date in the cyber war thats been unofficially going on for longer than the US cares to admit.
Between this, and the active industrial espionage which china also engages in,as well as back engineering of systems, and production of copycat devices without regard for international ageements or patents,seems to be working to upgrade chinas capabilities in many fields besides warcraft.
We seem to be stuck in hypocratic limbo,unable to get with the program of ripping off any and all technology that others developed,and unable to secure our own sensitive data.
This mind set is going to be paid for dearly over the next few years.

Let's not forget the compromise you bring up... Which was 9 months back.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

you do post a good post bravo, but i think why people are making such a big broo haha big stink, about china's J20 is that they were not to have one this soon, most of what if found was that they would have a J-xx by 2013 -15 not 2011 and flying, the rest is just speculation as to what the real capability are, like mine is it carrier capable? will have or does have Vector thrust? is it truly stealth, did we the west let them have give them our tech secrets. there are more unanswered questions than answered ones.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
The more I look at it the more I question whether it's just a "Stealthy" 4th generation jet. It doesn't seem to have thrust vectoring. Interesting comparison.

Here is a comparison....

Skip to 0:25

Skip to 0:21

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Here is a link showcasing the 2 engines being used on the J20 (Apparently).

And also check out the discussion on the two engine types and their capabilities.
2 engine types on J20?

Judging by the nozzle petals, one engine set seems to be the Russian AL-31F, possibly the 117S upgrade variant.

The other petal set looks like the indigenous WS-10A engine.

There are good photograph close ups of the engines on that page linked.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Very nice....

Being a 5th generation fighter is more than just having some stealth capabilities.

It needs thrust vectoring, Super cruise, advanced avionics and upgraded maneuverability highly integrated computer systems capable of networking with other elements within the theater of war in order to achieve an advantage in situational awareness. etc.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Very nice....

Being a 5th generation fighter is more than just having some stealth capabilities.

It needs thrust vectoring, Super cruise, advanced avionics and upgraded maneuverability highly integrated computer systems capable of networking with other elements within the theater of war in order to achieve an advantage in situational awareness. etc.

Yep true facts.

That's why I am forced to class the J20 around around 4.5 gen. (At Best)
They will need more improvements on these capabilities to reach 5gen.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

I need to ask when do you think they China will have this ,with in 6 months or a year? longer?? i am thinking with in the year, and will they stay with J20 or call it some other number? what say you. just asking.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Maybe the J-20 is overrated by Americans, i don't think it can cause actual threat to US.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

reply to post by Darkblade71

As a matter of fact I do many of the Sensor operators had spent time on the Kitty Hawk. If Chinese pilots were better they wouldn't have slammed into a large lumbering Aries.

I think the j20 is all hype, it's like they threw together the F-22 and the PAK FA. Those large canards out front aren't very stealthy, and canards generally increase drag which decreases range etc... Now the Mitsubishi ATD-X stealth fighter if it reaches development should dominate the j-20.

aviationweek.typepad.com...
edit on 23-1-2011 by Silverado292 because: Grammer

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Honestly, China would be better off just importing the T-50 and Su-47. That's just my opinion though.

Except for the fact that they're trying to build their military domestically to match the strength of their economy. This is a clear signal that they're done relying on Russia for the entirety of their designs & that they are capable of funding & developing their own weapons. They're masters at reverse engineering & will tackle the engine problems sooner than most seem to think due to the massive amounts of money they have to throw at the problem.

Continuing to under estimate China in the coming year will prove to be detrimental as will continuing to believe America is invincible which sadly is a tone I catch from reading through some of these posts.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
At this thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

kind of ongoing about this plane, this was dicussed in detail yesterday.

If you're interested in this topic, there is some great reading in it.

No big news-apparently.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
No big news-apparently.

say those who fail to see the larger picture here. This is a step in a new direction and era for the Chinese.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
The more I look at it the more I question whether it's just a "Stealthy" 4th generation jet. It doesn't seem to have thrust vectoring. Interesting comparison.

Here is a comparison....

You're comparing a prototype J-20 to a production model F-22. You think production J-20s will not incorporate more advanced features and modifications? Because that's usually the whole point of building and testing prototype and experimental aircraft (in the US, classified as Y and X designations)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
the best thing china is known for is bootleging merchandise i.e. reverse engineering so yes if they got hold of some plans from us they could easily make a new highly advanced copy in a few short years

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Agree. CTRL-C CTRL-V is used heavily by the chinese. Cyber espionage, money to bribe and crack loyal DOD Contractors, spies disguised as scientists for some of the R & D are all part of their tactics to do nothing but obtain cutting edge technology that some other country spent billions of dollars and years to perfect and then make cheaper versions of the technology only to sell it back to us in the forms of electronics atleast but also to rogue and poor nations who cannot afford the expensive but working and effective military technology. Surely China can house the same R&D but they just dont have that innovative spirit. It would be interesting to observe if what they display and brag about is as affective as the Western Technology.
edit on 28-1-2011 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

All this talk of Chinese air superiority in manned aircraft. That's a joke as the air superiority world wide will be in unmanned aircraft. Higher g forces can be experienced translating to unbelievable maneuverability. This is where the US is now. The Chinese are 20 years behind.

The real reason for all of the msm coverage is to spark another cold war to allow the American corporate war machine to maintain its funding. It is that simple. Don't believe me? Google the us military budget as compared to china.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArcAngel
reply to post by TedHodgson

All this talk of Chinese air superiority in manned aircraft. That's a joke as the air superiority world wide will be in unmanned aircraft. Higher g forces can be experienced translating to unbelievable maneuverability. This is where the US is now. The Chinese are 20 years behind.

The real reason for all of the msm coverage is to spark another cold war to allow the American corporate war machine to maintain its funding. It is that simple. Don't believe me? Google the us military budget as compared to china.

Hahaha...how true. UCAV are being used activtely in the middle east and afghanistan by remote pilots sitting in some air force base within the US. Amazing it is going back to who is the best JoyStick Jockey or Pinball Wizard

edit on 28-1-2011 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I agree with all the 5th Gen Characteristics you list with the exception of Thrust Vectoring.

The F-35 doesn't have that either as its primarily ground attack focused, with an ability to dabble at other things.

Depending on what the intended role of the J20 is it may not need thrust vectoring. To be honest I suspect its a development mule and a transitional design rather than a series production item.

As already mentioned. Its the combination of stealth with highly advanced AESA and avionics fit (a generation more modern that the F-22) that will be the main pillar of F-35 effectiveness. The Chinese are nowhere near parity there, yet.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join