It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China's new stealth fighter uses US tech.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
The future lies with UCAV's.

They can fly beyond the 9G limit of flesh and bone, they can fly in swarm, flock and solo modes.

UCAV's can be sacrificed to guarantee target destruction.

Without the pilot on-board there is more room for more powerful EW and Radar packages.

This is why only a small amount of F-22's were ordered and the YF-23 was not used as a replacement for F-14/15/18's.

Control of Space so as to fully utilize UCAV's is where we are at right now.

That being said i do like the J-20, we shouldn't be surprised that the F-22,YF-23,F-35,PAK-FA,and J-20 all look similar, low Radar returns are what dictates the overall shape of things.
They are all different in their approaches and roles though, the J-20 is the biggest and is suited to Long -Range interdiction/Recon and Fighter/Bomber roles.
It is not an Air Superiority fighter like the F-22 so there really is no comparison.
China has two other stealth aircraft projects, i suspect that one of these yet to be revealed projects is the stealth air domination fighter.

As regards to technical plagiarism, come on, we've all been stealing ideas ever since the first human had the first idea.
It was the Chinese that invented gun-powder, some-one else came along and thought of an application.

Cosmic...

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
There isn’t enough information available to start weighing up how just effective the J-20 actually is. It might look pretty, but looking at the shaping isn’t nearly enough to determine exactly how “stealthy” it is, not to mention other aspects of it that would place it in the "5th generation" category. China has comparatively little practical experience with radar-absorbing materials and other special coatings, not to mention avionics, sophisticated sensors and high-end jet engines etcetera.

This situation is similar to what occurred in the Cold War, when the US assumed that the Soviet MiG-25 was far more sophisticated than it actually was. When a Soviet pilot defected with his aircraft, they discovered that it was far less capable than they envisioned. I think it’s quite safe to assume that the J-20 isn’t what it’s being cracked up to be.

It isn't too surprising that the J-20 would utilise some US technology, considering the extent of their intelligence gathering operations in the US, as well as studying parts of the downed F-117. I'm guessing that the enormous amount of data relating to the F-35 stolen in 2007/8 would have been useful to them as well.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soshh
China has comparatively little practical experience with radar-absorbing materials and other special coatings, not to mention avionics, sophisticated sensors and high-end jet engines etcetera.

I'm sure the technology and knowledge they can buy off of Russia & whatever their spies gleaned from us can help make up for much.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ethancoop

Originally posted by Soshh
China has comparatively little practical experience with radar-absorbing materials and other special coatings, not to mention avionics, sophisticated sensors and high-end jet engines etcetera.

I'm sure the technology and knowledge they can buy off of Russia & whatever their spies gleaned from us can help make up for much.

Yes it definitely helps, but not enough to make the J-20 live up to the hype, in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Soshh

I keep thinking the same thing when people compare it to an operational aircraft like the F-22. Has the J-20 done anything more than a flight around the air field?. Thats the only thing I've read about. I'm taking a wait and see approach on this.
edit on 23-1-2011 by JMech because: changed the 10 to 20

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

We discovered Stealth technology by reading open source Russian technical proposals. What goes around comes around.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Someone developed the sword, his opponent developed armor.
Someone developed MACH 3 bombers that fly at 70,000ft, his opponent developed MACH 5 AA missiles that fly at 100,000ft.
Someone developed stealth airplanes, his opponent developed stealth defeating technologies.
Hurray for progress.

**EDIT**
this one bucks the trend:
someone developed a nuke, his opponent developed a bigger nuke.
edit on 23-1-2011 by ethancoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by JMech

oh yes the old wait and see, "we will wait and see what japan does, 1940" "we will wait and see, we will not act yet 1938 " "we will wait and see1990"
We all know what happens a year later DEC 7th1941 japan bombs pearl harbor,
1939 Hitler invades Poland,
1991 Iraqi invades Kuwait.
2011 we will wait and see what CHINA does.
2012 China attacks....?????????

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Well ladies and gentleman I sleep in piece because china does not have the most advance weapon on the planet... the US Navy has it

We call them Marines....

proof...see it is the navy's army

I believe their was a comic a long while back that had an interest part to it... (I do not remember the comic)

weapons had advanced so much that a new advancement might last five minutes on the battle field.....then the other side would have a counter to it...

So in the end it will be the infantryman fighting it out... The aorforce... I am so glad we conned the chinese and they are trying to play keep up... now if we can get mc.d's there and walmarts... tv, microwaves,cars, and laptops we will have Mericanised em...

Pray they do not find out about Boyd.....

these planes are a waste of huge money... big waste... like carriers... maybe they will build several bigones for the oceans....

enjoy the monkey on your back...

Please note the quietness over subs, and satilites....

good find... I think the paint itself is millions to make...

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

i disagree on one point "hE hE you weterns think you can win war against us?? we have more people than you have bullets"
To know one is to think like one, the art of war.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ethancoop

don't for get the sale of high tech chips then POTUS Bill Clinton did back in his term, too China "wa wa what them chips had missile and advanced tech on them ?????
why nobody say this"
aid to Pres Mr press they were labeled as such... hello, north trip... we have a problem

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
hopefully theres never a china US war but if there is....lol who needs bullets?? I think the protocal is something like 15 to fifty years techno difference that the public knows about...Im sure the US government will never be taken by surprise or let the chinese invade..and I say LET because that's what it would
TAKE for them to make it here in 1 piece!!!

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
People really believe this garbage? J20 is a copy of the F-117? Gullible, I say

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

were did that come from??? j20 and f117 ??? j20 being a F22 spin off ok but F117??? just were did you see this??

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
I can't help but wonder if this is the outcome of China's holding of one of our spy planes several years back. The pilot had to make an emergency landing in China, and they stripped the plane before giving back to the US with the pilot. I don't know if anyone remembers that, but I bet thats how they got a lot of their "new" tech.
edit on 23-1-2011 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

Nope! I do not think they got any fighter secrets out of this ww2 era dinosaur.
edit on 1-23-2011 by groingrinder because: Edit to fix link.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
reply to post by JMech

oh yes the old wait and see, "we will wait and see what japan does, 1940" "we will wait and see, we will not act yet 1938 " "we will wait and see1990"
We all know what happens a year later DEC 7th1941 japan bombs pearl harbor,
1939 Hitler invades Poland,
1991 Iraqi invades Kuwait.
2011 we will wait and see what CHINA does.
2012 China attacks....?????????

With Iraq we did not wait and see. We gave them permission to go into Kuwait. We sold them the gas that was used on the Kurds.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
I can't help but wonder if this is the outcome of China's holding of one of our spy planes several years back. The pilot had to make an emergency landing in China, and they stripped the plane before giving back to the US with the pilot. I don't know if anyone remembers that, but I bet thats how they got a lot of their "new" tech.
edit on 23-1-2011 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

That spy plane was an EP-3, it uses propellers. They probably got some insight into our EW and crypto systems, but I doubt it helped them develop a stealth fighter. I'm not an aerospace engineer, but I don't think the avionics or aerodynamics between the JP-20 and EP-3 are remotely similar.

I think they got their info through hackers and espionage. There has been a rash of Ethnic Chinese American defense industry employees caught spying for the PRC. There are probably many still operating that haven't been caught. Hopefully the FBI's counter intel is on it. The war on terror/drugs is a distraction from our true natl security threats.
edit on 23-1-2011 by Schaden because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

were did that come from??? j20 and f117 ??? j20 being a F22 spin off ok but F117??? just were did you see this??

Do you even know what the OP article is about?

China has long since acquired the F-117 wreckage from Serbia and built a copy of it (seen in satellite images of their runways). That was a test project for Chinese stealth, but the news article is claiming that the J20 is copying F-117 characteristics when it is clearly much more advanced.

Why would F-22 have anything to do with this anyways? China has acquire F-35 intel, but officially nothing on the F-22.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

that is my point, we let it happen!!!! we backed it ,we knew it was coming!!!! Yet we have .."wait and see" attitude, it is if we turn a blind eye to it all. as if we want it too happen, not that i am for it it is just thinking, my take if you will on things, the way i see them.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Ok I realize that almost no one actually checks with defense analysis before making opinions on this subject. But I regularly check with these sources and it's funny how defense experts opinions are totally ignored by most people.

First of all, the J-20 (aka J XX) is still at least 15 to 20 years behind the US and Russian technology.

The T-50 from Russia is far better in almost all aspects, but the media focuses 100% on China's JXX program. I guess it's not fashionable to talk about Russian fighters anymore? hehe

Did you know that the JXX program is so far behind other nations that they still have to import the engines from Russia?? They won't have their own engine production ready until at least 2013 or 2014. Although many people will overlook a fact like this, it is a critical aspect of a nation's ability to design and produce it's own fighter technology.

And let's not even get into electronics and radar systems. The Chinese are at least 10-15 years behind on that as well.

People will scream "oh but they stole our tech", and it is still too late. By the time you steal current tech, can get it back to your homeland and engineer it into something useful, that tech is obsolete. Such a process takes many years, it doesn't just happen overnight.

China is playing "Catch up" with Russia, the US, and the EU.

The JXX is probably the 6th or 7th most advanced fighter in the world, which isn't bad at all.
I would still rate the Eurofighter Typhoon as slightly better in several aspects.

Honestly, China would be better off just importing the T-50 and Su-47. That's just my opinion though.

By the way folks, most of you are living in the past.
The F-117 Nighthawk was retired from service 3 years ago.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join