It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you really want to live forever?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Caught this must-see video the other night. Its a little long but the cinematography is really good for a documentary. Enjoy!

“Today aging is subject to control,” as one biochemist puts it. And the speed with which this biotechnological development is moving indicates that coming generations will live very long lives.

Life Extended

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by robile
Caught this must-see video the other night. Its a little long but the cinematography is really good for a documentary. Enjoy!

“Today aging is subject to control,” as one biochemist puts it. And the speed with which this biotechnological development is moving indicates that coming generations will live very long lives.

Life Extended

When I was younger, yes.
Now, not so much.

All things must end, and to delay the end usually just causes more pain.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
No i do not want to live forever. However thats not to say that I would like to stay youthful until i finally decide i've had enough of life and then proceed to kill thyself.

I'd find it rather dull though to be honest. Heck i find this life dull enough, and wouldn't want it extended any further that it already will be with all the meds they're going to produce.
edit on 23-1-2011 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness (ages 9-19) and that was one of the things that never appealed to me, the thought of living forever...
No thank you very much!

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
We all do live forever.. Life is never ending. It's always been there and always will be there. Death isn't as portrayed, such as nothing is as it seems. Death is the ego FULLY killed off. In life, it can be toned down but death is death of ego. We live on forever with our souls. Asking if you wanted to live forever is asking the ego if it wants to live forever and of course it's going to say yes, because it wants to eat, have sex, roll around in lust and violence! The question's kind of confusing.

Oh and no I don't want to live in this physical body forever. To many limitations.. I'd like to remember past lives though so I can be more appreciative of the never ending advancement soul wise while in a physical body.
edit on 23-1-2011 by OneLife because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by OneLife

Oh and no I don't want to live in this physical body forever.

+1 on that

I am looking forward to the full spectrum down the road.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I would not want to live forever, but I would like to extend my current one by another 100 years. Well at least long enough to see man on mars or when we make first contact. I do hope, as some people have suggested, that we do live forever just not in the physical form.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by robile

Na i would not, i hate humans for the most part and why would anyone ever want this other than the ptb?

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by mvirata
I would not want to live forever, but I would like to extend my current one by another 100 years. Well at least long enough to see man on mars or when we make first contact. I do hope, as some people have suggested, that we do live forever just not in the physical form.

I would love to see what kind of technology exists in 50, 500, 1000 years from now and the change in lifestyles. From the video, here are the steps to extend our lifespan:

1. Backup info from your brain onto a hard drive. Your operating system, personal files and what have you.

2. Clone self. This has already been done with animals and is a high possibility in humans.

3. Perfect accelerated growth which clones the subject to original size in a very short time frame.

4. Import brain data from the hard drive into the new clone.

5. Wake up like brand new.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by robile

Sure I would if the conditions were right.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Hmm what kind of conditions did you have in mind? Remember with this theory you can have your mind put into any kind of body pretty much. Its just a futuristic version of reincarnation.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by robile

Originally posted by mvirata

I would love to see what kind of technology exists in 50, 500, 1000 years from now and the change in lifestyles. From the video, here are the steps to extend our lifespan:

1. Backup info from your brain onto a hard drive. Your operating system, personal files and what have you.

2. Clone self. This has already been done with animals and is a high possibility in humans.

3. Perfect accelerated growth which clones the subject to original size in a very short time frame.

4. Import brain data from the hard drive into the new clone.

5. Wake up like brand new.

You may have a similar body, and the same memories.
But would you have the same soul?
Or would you be like an organic robot?

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

...because it wants to eat, have sex, roll around in lust and violence!

what is most interesting about the OP's question is that, in fact, all of these effects of "the ego" would become eliminated. each of the actions you have described above, at their root, is an effect of SCARCITY. and the root of scarcity is DEATH.

no death = no scarcity

suddenly all of those things you listed become obsolete!

We all do live forever....We live on forever with our souls...

i do hate to have to remind people that this is the science forum, so it is best policy to only make claims that at least have the appearance of being rationally substantiated.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I don't want to live forever, but currently life is too short!

Hope we can achieve a happy medium

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles
You may have a similar body, and the same memories.
But would you have the same soul?
Or would you be like an organic robot?

Transference of the soul is something else altogether. I'm not an expert in any of these fields but if we are to believe that parallel universes and other dimensions exist, then the soul can exist in many different places simultaneously.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
From a scientific standpoint, wouldn't the soul also be captured in the brain? Every organ in the human body is similar in all people including the brain. You can transplant a heart, a liver, a kidney. You will still be the same person. I can't see this working with the brain however.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Depends what happens when I die.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
The way we are going in the medical field - an "immortality shot" that activates telomerasse safely would both reverse aging back to around your mid 20s and make age-related death purely optional. You could still choose to end your life at any given time - theoretically by de-activating telomerasse, or via more direct (and expedient) means. Cultural notions of suicide would certainly have to change.

Personally - I don't see why not. I may have a fairly cynical view of people - but would none the less love to be around 500 years from now to be a part of things.

If I die, or come to a point where I just feel it's my time to move on - then that's why I will do. I would like to be around to tell my great-great grandchildren about the jelly shortage of 2021 or about a time when we actually had to heat metal up to melt it.

While I'm sure some will claim it's un-natural and a fear of death... I could just as easily say it's a fear of cultural change to condemn such advances. As of now.. life's only purpose is to die. What does it matter what I do tomorrow - in the end, I'm dead just the same. It is the one thing we can be sure of.

Now, if I no longer have a count-down and my death is left completely up to my own choice or the unexpected accidents/homicides... that's a little different to live with. Life kind of loses its pointlessness and reliance upon posthumous consequences and uncertainty.

Either way - it's an adventure. Whether you decide to cast-off to the state of consciousness both unknown and beyond this one; or to linger here on this ship of fools to have some more fun - you're still embarking on an epic adventure. Even if all that lies after death is non-existence, taking that step is still an adventure of significant proportion.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
If it's possible when im older to live longer I would like to live to 200, im only in my early 20's today so maby science will come up with a solution in the next 20 years.

Maby if we lived like Tortoise's we would live longer as the longest recorded lifespan is 226 years.
edit on 23-1-2011 by NeoSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoSpace
Maby if we lived like Tortoise's we would live longer as the longest recorded lifespan is 226 years.
edit on 23-1-2011 by NeoSpace because: (no reason given)

That's only a matter of genetics. Find and isolate the gene that makes up for the tortoise's lifespan, implant in human, observe results. Only problem is it will be a miracle as well as a Pandora's box.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join