It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

''11 Days in Afghanistan'' - Up Close and Personal with Australian Army and (SAS)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by squandered

I'm not sure if i can, on the video the only options i get are to embedd, link or copy to twitter or facebook. Also i'm guessing if i somehow did upload it to youtube it might be taken down for copyright. It only aired on TV recently.

I spent 2 hours lastnight trying to find another source and the closest i got was that News report i posted above. Although in regard to that, ive gotta take my hat off to any soldier no matter what country your from. Normal people when they hear gunfire or a rocket attack would do what that reporter did...hide and duck for cover. The soldiers are straight into action and while the reporter was hiding under the bed he dissapeared out the door into darkness and unkown threats.

Amazing!

P.S - I will keep trying to find another source for the full clip. The same happened to me if i try to watch something on Hulu or NBC, Fox etc ( although ive also seen places online that say there is way around it... something about your IP )

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Sparkly_Eyed777

Yeah that SAS doco on SBS was good, it's worth the watch if you get a chance.

Dont get 10? oh do you get SC ( Southern Cross ) is it still called that? The docu was on Saturday just passed at 4PM.

Yeah a proxy can help, but any sites with a proxy cloak normally dont support media, although there may be some i dont know about...
edit on 24-1-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Here is another small part of the documentary courtesy Ch10 News.

The reporter that did the documentary was Leisa Roles.

This one below is unrelated to the documentary but more about Australian soldiers in Afghanistan.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

You seem to have a genuine interest in this war, maybe you should have joined the army.
Then again you couldnt even handle the pussers! May i ask what rate you joined up as?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by loagun

Besides that fact if I have never been informed of Australia being in the middle east, or even having a military for that fact to place in the middle east, so excuse for not researching subjects I knew nothing about.

Yes I'm sure your MSM never mentioned that the puny ADF actually took out your prized aircraft carrier a few times during war games..
How embarrassing..

BTW, I like americans, just not the arrogant ones.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

also his face his still hidden as he is still is the SAS ( Special Air Service ) core.

Well I saw his face on the news tonight..It's no secret...

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

yeah i know.. lol sorry. I realised that when after id edited the post and added the ceremony footage from sunday.. but by the time it ''clicked'' it was too late to edit the post.. i did have a couple drinks lastnite..

But yeah normally SAS ID's are kept secret as far as i knew..

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Yeah, I have no doubt he deserved it but I do wonder if it was given to try and dig back more support for a war that most Australians believe we shouldn't be fighting..
The last VC was the same but I think that was for Iraq..
I put nothing past our corrupt Government..

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by lestweforget

I'm just posting the news and the documentary that aired on Sarturday just passed... Although your right i do have an interest and have even been considering go back into the reserves of late.. i know that doesnt compare to what fully enlisted soldiers do but things have changed now and i dont know if i could leave my family and more importantly my daughters at home whilst over there... its a hard choice to make.

yeah yeah ok i didnt last in the Navy, but it's not like i was running away from combat or anything like that...The navy doesnt see alot of hand to hand combat with the exception of clearance divers and SAS ad-hoc. ( edit to add Naval boarding parties etc )

I was a seamen* ET traineee at Cerberus ( although upon joining i was a recruit...). I was young and wanted a life... although in hignsight i wish i had of stayed, not so much for combat or the wars but for an ET trade... I still remeber my instructor at Cerberus, he was a total '' company man '' he lived and breathed the navy. I saw him recently on 60 minutes, he is noe 2IC of a patrol boat up Nth. I still miss it all and regret not staying..

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

It's not a common award though, it takes alot to even be considered for it. There has only been two awarded since Vietnam and 98 in total for Australian Soldiers.

Although to them, they are only do their job and looking after their friends and brothers. I had the the feeling from his speech that he didnt feel deserving of the honour and only did what he thought was right..

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Nothing wrong with the reserves, i think we need more infact. As far as reinlisting goes you just never know, my cousin got to within weeks of completing his ETW training. He quit and a few years later and a bit matured he rejoined as a CD. I dont care what anyone says its a single mans life on the seas.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

What's ETW?

I know EWL, CSO and etc. ETW, is that ET - Warfare systems.

I know when i was in there, there were three streams to pick from or be selected into, ET - Navigation, Warfare systems or Communications....

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Im pretty sure the W was for weapons, he was at Cerberus in 89 well before the implementation of
multi-skilling. Ah the good ol days of one man one job.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

oh ok, yeah that was a long time ago...

Although i guess it may also be a security issue as well, one person having intimate knowledge of all the Weapon, Communication and Navigation systems of a ship or installation is alot to know..

Also from experiance i know how hard it was to get a security clearance and the ''Secret'' level, well not hard but it took alot of paperwork and a one on one interview with ASIO.

So i guess it helps with security to compartmentalise the different parts of an ET's knowledge. Also technology has changed and evolved so much that each different stream has alot to learn. It's probably easier to break off and seperate them into three parts...

This a copy/paste from defence jobs au - for an ET and some of the things they need to be trained in:

RADAR Systems and Displays;
Navigation Aids (gyro-compasses, Inertial Navigation Systems);
Command and Control Systems;
Weapons Systems (Guns, Missile Systems);
Fire Control Systems;
Satellite equipment (GPS, SATCOM, INMARSAT);
Communications Systems (HF, VHF, UHF);
Electronic Surveillance and Warfare Systems; and
Underwater Systems (SONAR, Echo Sounders, Torpedo Countermeasures).

Below are more of the fundamentals:

Perform engineering measurements;
Perform computations;
Apply principles of occupational health and safety in the work environment;
Plan to undertake a routine task;
Plan a complete activity;
Apply quality systems;
Apply quality procedures;
Organise and communicate information;
Work with others in a manufacturing, engineering or related environment;
Interact with computing technology;
Assist in the provision of on the job training;
Perform manual soldering/de-soldering – electrical/electronic components;
Interpret technical drawing;
Terminate and connect electrical wiring;
Install and test electrical wiring and circuits up to 1000 vAC and 1500 vDC;
Perform electrical/electronic measurement;
Perform precision electrical/electronic measurement;
Use hand tools;
Use power tools/hand held operations;
Fault find and repair/rectify basic electrical circuits;
Disconnect/reconnect fixed wired equipment up to 1000 vAC and 1500 vDC;
Fault find,test and calibrate instrumentation systems and equipment;
Dismantle, replace and assemble engineering components;
Maintain/service analog/digital electronic equipment;
Terminate signal and data cables;
Provide initial response to a critical incident;
Work in confined spaces;
Work aloft;
Undertake manual handling;
Order materials/spares;
Perform emergency first aid;
Work safely with industrial chemicals and materials;
Shut down and isolate machine/equipment; and
Use mathematical techniques and perform simple statistical computations.

Source RAN

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I wanted to add the full list of Australian Casulties to the the thread out of remberance and respect but it's surprising how it is to find that list.. to be able to copy and paste it..

In regard to ''11 Days in Afghanistan'' it does show the list at the end... just an example of one of them is Jared Mackinney, his son was born on the day of his fathers funeral...

I have no words...

I have also found some related media from Defence.gov.au in regard to Aus military involvement..

www.defence.gov.au...

Operation SLIPPER

Operation SLIPPER is Australia's military contribution to the international campaign against terrorism, maritime security in the Middle East Area of Operations and countering piracy in the Gulf of Aden.

Major General Angus Campbell, AM commands all ADF units deployed in the Middle East Area of Operations (MEAO) assigned to Operation SLIPPER, as well as those forces assigned to Operation KRUGER in Iraq. Major General Campbell assumed command on 13 January 2011.

Under Operation SLIPPER, Australian forces contribute to the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) - led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan. ISAF seeks to bring security, stability and prosperity to Afghanistan and aims at preventing the country from again becoming a safe haven for international terrorists.

Around 1550 ADF personnel are based within Afghanistan as part of Operation SLIPPER, while about 800 personnel are deployed across the broader Middle East Area of Operations.

Australia has maintained a continuous maritime contribution to Operation SLIPPER, which currently consists of the Guided Missile Frigate, HMAS Stuart, and a Fleet Battle Staff led by Commodore Greg Sammut CSC, RAN who is exercising command of Combined Task Force (CTF) 150.

Source

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

The only channels we get here, are: ABC, SBS, GWN, and WIN. I think it might have been on WIN, but I don't know. At least I can watch it on the Ten website I guess.

Um, with proxies, I found one I was able to use to watch Youtube videos that weren't available in my region. I don't know how well it would work with watching this doc though. I guess we might just have to wait until they put out on DVD or something.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Sparkly_Eyed777

I've also tried to download software to capture media then save, but i'm having abit of trouble with it...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join