It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

''11 Days in Afghanistan'' - Up Close and Personal with Australian Army and (SAS)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

lol i think it was a typo..go easy

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

l'm in the UK. l also have not seen anything on our msn about the australians being there either, thats why l wish l could see the vid.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
yes i apologise you are correct its 2011 I hope the typo didnt confuse you but yh f the war im not a numbskull who believe s we need war i dont sympathise with soldiers they have given their soul away to devils. my life is more precious to me than that, its sad if yours isn't .

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Edit: sorry peeps i got the wrong article, the one i posted was from another Aus soldier in 2008...

Here is the correct one... also his face his still hidden as he is still is the SAS ( Special Air Service ) core.

Second SAS Afghan Victoria Cross for heroic charge

THE act of extreme courage that earned Australia's latest SAS hero the Victoria Cross was similar to the storming of a Japanese machinegun post by previous VC winner Edward Kenna in the jungles of Papua New Guinea during World War II.
The Special Air Service Regiment soldier, identified so far as "Lance Corporal Ben", will receive his Victoria Cross from Governor-General Quentin Bryce at a ceremony in Perth on Sunday.

It is understood the soldier has already won the Medal for Gallantry in 2006.

He is the second SAS soldier to win the VC in two years. In September 2008, then Trooper Mark Donaldson received the top award for protecting wounded soldiers under heavy enemy fire and then dashing across 80m of open ground to rescue a wounded Afghan interpreter.

The new VC soldier was recommended for the award for his actions during a fierce gun battle last October in the Shah Wali Kot region of northern Kandahar, a key stronghold of diehard Taliban militants. Senior Defence sources, speaking on condition of anonymity, told The Australian the soldier was in his 30s and was born in Western Australia.

Full Story

He just tore into the enemy," one of the soldier's friends was quoted as saying.

"He is the epitome of the Spartan soldier. It was only a matter of time before he would demonstrate his true ability."

edit on 23-1-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by star child

There is other stuff on youtube about Aussie's over there but the most recent report is the best, most in-depth and heart wrenching I have seen..

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Thank you, l hope there is a way for you to get it out to all of us, thanks for trying.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by TheGhostViking

They are following orders though. The moment you sign your life away to the military you dont have a choice.. no matter what you beleive.

When i joined the RAN, i igned a 6 year contract, then no less than 6 months after i changed my mind - being only 19... and wanted a civilian life, it took me 4 months or crap to get out, including pshyc evaulations, mentoring and constant pressure to stay...

Once you sign that dotted line they own your ass and if you dont follow orders that ass gets slammed hard ( no punn or dirty jokes intended ) i just mean, if you dont follow orders you are looked down upon amongst all your peers and ''friends''

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I'm Canadian and I knew there were Aussies there. True, there may not be a ton of news on their presence, but I have seen it mentioned. Also, I would love to see this video but it is not regionally available to me.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

I would like to see the video's also if you can find any other way to post them. I have to say that I have never heard of Australian troops being in Afghanistan either. I want to thank you for bringing this to the attention of Americans. I don't understand why the Western MSM doesn't report on this.

I always considered Australia friends also, along with the British. Please don't hold the American people guilty of the actions of our screwed up government. Our government does not represent most of us. Thanks again for this thread..

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
All i found so far on youtube is a Ch10 news reports with clips and footage that are seen in the documentary, it's only short, but i am still trying to find more clips...

edit on 23-1-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
It is a big thing that this is even getting played in the MSM here in Australia. The media is generally kept out of military matters because the public pressure builds to withdraw from war when confronted with the horrors of it. Sounds like a change is in the wind in support for perpetual war.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
ive been here in afghanistan for a while now and traveled around to other provinces, and ive seen at the very most, 15-20 aussies total, seeing them is like playin where's waldo...

and your talk about the victoria cross, they probably do just like the medal of honor for us troops. plenty of people do just as, or more crazy and honorable stuff then those who receive the actual award (not taking away from those that get the award) but i think its more political then anything....

A soldier breaks out of taliban prison and kills every enemy at the camp with his bare hands and rescues all the other prisoners. He was presented with a Letter of Appreciation. (Not a true story but thats the point im trying to make)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I agree with you brother , you are 100 % correct the army own them they are their pawns . This is why it is so sad and I am glad i was never put in a position to ever contemplate joining the army .
In summary if you risk YOUR life fighting and killing strangers in the name of this war I hope God takes mercy on your souls because this is NOT why were put on to this planet .
PEACE

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by loagun

I'm an Aussie and am glad you joined in this thread. I can see little misunderstandings caused by the slightly different way we interpret stuff.. and being 10,000 miles away means it's harder to reach an understanding on that.

In general.....

Before this war began I read a report from some well-to-do Barrister from New York who said the U.S and it's Allies will be bogged down in another Viet-Nam style scenario for many years.. he claimed the plan was to be there at least 8 years and more if necessary. Seems he was very correct.

Way out of left field comes the crazy notion that this is not about Oil and Drugs.. as they are the cream.. the extra benefits.. but possibly moreso being about Occupying the traditional landing areas of our Progenitors.. yep, I'm a firm supporter of the Sumerian Annunaki information... so you can now flame away folks

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
There are many countries engaged in front line combat in Afghanistan. Here is a breakdown of combat casualties by country:

USA: 1,387*
UK: 349
Canada: 153*
France: 53
Germany: 49
Denmark: 40
Italy: 36
Spain: 30*
Netherlands: 25
Poland: 22
Australia: 21
Romania: 17
Norway: 9
Estonia: 8
Georgia: 5
Sweden: 5
Hungary: 4
Czech Republic: 3
Latvia: 3
Portugal: 2
South Korea: 2
Turkey: 2
Belgium: 1
Finland: 1
Jordan: 1
Lithuania: 1
New Zealand: 1
TOTAL: 2,228
en.wikipedia.org...

I must admit I was ignorant about Sweden having troops there. .
edit on 1/23/2011 by clay2 baraka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
When I tried to watch the videos all it said was video not available???

I think you Aussies are in Iraq and Afghanistan for the same reason we are... For being there, part of the coalition, you guys will get a cut of the resources. It should end up helping your country and economy.

Plus, your army is getting a lot of experience fighting in the wars. Let's face it Australia doesn't fight any wars on their own, which is great, I’m against the wars. You guys need to be battle tested. If Australia wants to be a superpower, which you easily could be if you didn't have so much desert, you have to prove your military is capable of offensive and defensive tactics. Occupying the Middle East with us helps you guys establish your presence as a world power.

edit on 23-1-2011 by tooo many pills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Fact is many don't really understand why we are in Iraq and now Afghan. The Iraq war was to try and save the US dollar. Iraq was starting an oil bourse trading in euros hence not the mighty coalition that formed in the first gulf war. That was to preserve the Saudi oil fields which everybody had interests in doing. Now it was to take out Saddam who though by buying off the boys on the security council he was safe. Oops. Now we're still there to fill the vacuum and stabilize. Remember germany didn't hold elections for nine years after WWII ended.

Now why are we still in Afghanastan? One reason......rare earth elements. Everybody's gotta have their global warming cars and ipods and ipads and cell phones etc and these elements are needed for the batteries in these things. All the talk of imperialism or taking over the countries is ridiculous. I doubt folks will flock to Iraq to start building a home anytime.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Why don't you copy it and upload it on you Tube?

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
From what I see, to get the VC award for an Aussie digger is a pretty impressive honour.
It’s not about how many they kill or about how they killed them; it’s why they killed them.

These blokes who are given the VC are bloody awesome; it’s through mateship that they do the things they do, not to save their own butts, but to save their mates or civilians.

My husband went to Iraq, was I worried? yes of course I was, but what made it easier for me was knowing that his mates were with him and to watch out for him and vice versa.

Now this is how important this is, you ask any VC winner if they think they deserve it, they all say no. But you ask anyone else in the defence force and their families and they all say yes.

Fact: Every Australian Defence force member including the highest ranked officers and including the PM will salute a VC winner because they risked their lives for a mate or a civilian.s and that to me and the rest of Australia is bloody brilliant.

Thing is these VC winners are normally wanting to get back out there to keep doing their thing. Australia won’t risk it, The VC winners will never come into live fire ever again.

Op sorry if i went off Topic a little.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Thanks for this thread, didn't know about this documentary, but then again I live in a rural area and we don't get channel Ten lol.

At first I thought it was a documentary that I'd heard was going to be on the SBS (Special Broadcasting Service) channel. It was about the SAS and what it takes to get in. Haven't watched it yet, but I really want to, I just need to find the time lol. Anyway, I actually tried searching for the doc you mentioned on SBS and then realised that it was a different one haha. But at least now I know about it and can watch it later.

Btw, for the people who can't watch this doc because of regional restrictions, maybe you could try a proxy??

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join