It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer Freezes!?!?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I have a Windows 2000 computer. Whenever I start it up, everything works normally for a while. But after its been on for about a half-hour or forty-five minutes, the desktop freezes up. Any page I have up won't close to the desktop. Say I have an Internet page up. I try to close it but the site stays up and its frozen and I can't do anything with it. The start menu still works and I can restart the computer. I've tried to get on the Internet from a shortcut on the toolbar at the bottom of the screen, but when I try to bring up a new Internet page, it opens but it freezes too. I don't know what to do. I've uninstalled my Kazaa Lite ++ and I've run AVG 6.0 virus scans and I've also run Ad-Aware and deleted all the spyware but it continues to do this? What is going on?

Thanks!

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
How much memory do you have and how much is being used by the computer? SOunds like you have a memory problem tpo me.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
C: drive has about 18.5 GB free with 10 GB used up. I have this thing called "System Mechanic" on my computer and it can "defrag RAM" or memory or something like that. What does this mean? Would this help?

[Edited on 11-7-2004 by maynardsthirdeye]

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Yeah something like that. You might be using too much of your RAM and that can slow it down and cuase it to crash.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
What you gave was how much space you have on your hard drive....memory is the stuff where the files are stored temporarily while you access them. Check in My Computer-->View System Info. and itll tell you how much RAM you have. 256mb is the bare minimum anybody should have.

Edit....im on dialup with IE....

[Edited on 11-7-2004 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   
This may or may not be related to the problem. I was running AVG Virus Scan (the free edition) and it found two Trojan.Horse Dialers. The AVG website says that it is simple enough to remove the virus by simply deleting it. But when the scan results come back, I look and find that the file doesn't exist. The file name is

C:\WINNT\Downloaded Program Files\D_LOADER.EXE

I go to that folder and I can't find D_LOADER.EXE. What can I do?

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   
You could try opening Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View and click �Show Hidden Files and Folders�. Then return to the previous location and look for the file.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
No, it still isn't showing up, even after doing that.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by maynardsthirdeye
I have a Windows 2000 computer. Whenever I start it up, everything works normally for a while. But after its been on for about a half-hour or forty-five minutes, the desktop freezes up. Any page I have up won't close to the desktop.

Greetings, I have a 4-year-old Emachine running win 98. I have noticed that it is very heat sensitive. In a 70�F room it runs all evening no problems, at 75� it starts getting a little tweaky and I have to be careful what I do. At 80� open more than 1 window at a time or even look at it hard and it locks up just as you described. I have had it open, both fans are fine, and it�s fairly clean. I just learned to crank up the air-conditioning.

Couple of months ago it got real bad, even when being kept cool. So I bought a copy of registry first aid. I used it to clean out several hundred bad registry files. This was a great thing to do; the puppy ran like a new machine except for the heating problem.

Good luck

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taeas
So I bought a copy of registry first aid. I used it to clean out several hundred bad registry files. This was a great thing to do; the puppy ran like a new machine

I couldn�t agree more, Reg1st Aid is an awesome program. The program was able to remove at least 200 obsolete or unneeded registry entries thereby improving the performance of my computer. I run the program at least once a month.

maynardsthirdeye,

I don�t know if this program will fix your issue with the freezing but it very well may. I think they have a trial download but it will limit the number of entries it will remove until you purchase the software. It can be found on kazaa with the key.

Registry First Aid

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Thanks for all your help but I had to take it to a computer shop to be fixed.

I have this new Windows XP that AVG says is infected with a Trojan Horse virus! I don't know why, I don't have Kazaa or anything. But anyway, AVG Resident Shield pops up saying that I have a virus and I must run AVG to fix it. The only problem is that when I do run AVG, it says that no viruses were detected. When Resident Shield poped up, it said the virus was in a "System Volume Information" folder. I tried to locate the virus myself in the "System Volume Information" folder but I was denied access to the folder.

Help!

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
To be honest, AVG is not the best virus scanner. I was unable to repair a friends machine recently as AVG just could not clean up the viruses that he had recieved from *cough* male interest websites. It did what you describe in your last post.

He purchased Norton Antivirus and the internet security suite, I installed it, and the problems went away.

My advice to you is stop surfing with Internet Explorer!

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I have Norton Anti-Virus scanner as well. It found an "Ad-Aware" threat but nothing infected. Is the AVG Shield making stuff up?

And if I can't use Internet Explorer, how do I get on the Internet?

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I'm not sure that running two virus scanners at the same time is recommended practice.

Here's my method of avoiding internet threats which has worked so far for me.

1) Up to date virus scanner
2) Firewall
3) Be behind a router
4) Never use Internet explorer unless you have to. use Firefox
5) Web based mail access
6) Ad-aware, Spybot S&D

Use these steps and you should have few problems.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Allright, I'll try Firefox. I just installed it now. I already have Ad-Aware and I have Norton Internet Security 2004.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I wonder if the symptoms are caused by using the two virus scanners. It is possible, I suppose, that one could be finding the patterns of the other as a virus.

Good luck with Firefox, it is ultimately a more friendly browsing experience once you learn how it works.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Maybe. So I got rid of AVG Scanner.

new topics

top topics

join