It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama signals he will appeal to centrists in State of Union

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

feeds.boston.com

President Obama will outline an agenda for “winning the future’’ in his State of the Union address Tuesday night, striking a theme of national unity and renewal, as he stresses the need for both government spending in key areas and an attack on the budget deficit.

“My number one focus,’’ he said, “is going to be making sure that we are competitive, and we are creating jobs not just now but well into the future.’’

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I'm still trying to wrap my head around what policies Obama has trounced about as being anything close to resembling centrist in nature.

I'm not one to play the left/right paradigm, and this is blatantly doing just that.

I think this is supposed to be inflammatory in nature. To have the right rise up and say, "Excuse me?!" while the left says, "See!? It's the rights fault!".

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuubbish.

feeds.boston.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Obama needs to learn that trying to please everyone pleases no one. I like the guy, but he's basically becoming Carter's second term.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
After reading the news report, looks like he is aiming the speech to businesses in order to gain votes and look as if he cares about these businesses.

Appearing like you are working for the business man is a very sly way to get people to say..."maybe we miscalculated Obamas agenda." People...please, don't fall for it. Notice speaking to the "little people" was not on his contents to be addressed.

Won't know for sure until after he lets fly on Tuesday. Should be full of "surprises"...

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Why appease anyone?
Why appease the left or the right or the middle?

Why not just do what is right?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Stop pretending to appease groups of people with nothing but words and end the damn wars, stop allowing lobbyist to move your strings like a puppet, stand up to the banks, end the Fed, either end the income tax or at least lower it while all of it goes to the national debt, DO NOT give weapons to Saudi Arabia which is the most oppressive family owned theocratic regime while having all this negative PR on Iran, stop propping up govts., end the world bank, end the FED, end the CIA's most secretive branches, end NAFTA, secure your borders and get a spine!

No more of just appeasing groups of people!

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
This is not a surprise, but only logical. He got all of his hot button agenda items through with his healthcare plan, and the last minute items passed during the lame duck session. I think his radical motives will seize for the immediate future. Therefore, he will put an the image of being a centrist or a moderate to gain support for the upcoming election in 2011. He is getting his pieces together for campaign mode.

My guess is he will sit back with his arms crossed and feet up. Let the congress fight amongst themselves, and take on the image of being the benevolent leader caught in the middle of the boxing matches in the legislature. In the hysteria that will become the US congress, he will sit back and watch. The whole time he will put on the image of being a centrist and a moderate, but deep down he needs the friction and chaos in the congress.

Chances are his approach will get no where and he knows iy. He wants the everyone to feel that he is a victim of congressional gridlock as well as the people. Like, "See, I changed my outlook on things to bridge the gap and bring together opposing sides, but still the congress is against me."

Perhaps, he will try to cash in on the sympathy card? Right now he is going to work hard as to not ruffle feathers or bring unwanted attention to himself, and let the Republicans and the Democrats duke it out amongst themselves. He is going to revert back to the Barack Obama we witnessed during his first campaign. Say all the right things, and hit all the right notes.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Obama has been consulting with Clinton about the 2012 strategy so prepare yourselves for more mind blowing rhetoric like this. Clinton had to take the same tack during his reelection bid.

Always remember that Obama's actions speak louder than his words and so do his political connections and appointees. That being said, allow me to present Patrick Gaspard, the DNC's new executive director and the new muscle behind the coming 2012 Democratic campaign

In a letter Thursday, Democratic National Committee Chairman Tim Kaine announced that he had selected Patrick Gaspard to serve as the political party’s new executive director. His rap sheet is similar to Obama's.

The selection is certain to draw criticism from conservatives because of Gaspard’s past association with activist organization ACORN.

Gaspard donated thousands of dollars to ACORN, The American Spectator has reported, and worked for New York’s Working Families Party and labor union SEIU.

Here's a comment from the DNC chairman regarding Gaspard

“He understands the importance of grassroots politics and team building… Working together, I am confident that we can protect the progress of the past two years, achieve important electoral victories in 2011 and 2012.”

Here's the kicker...
Gaspard is currently Obama's director of the Office of Political Affairs

Read more: dailycaller.com...

Don't believe the centrist fluff talk. Look back to the fluff talk of Obama's 2008 campaign and now look at the bitter reality of Obama's actions. He's knows how to manipulate people and their ideas. His whole career as a community organizer is based on that key ability to dazzle people. Just keep an eye on his hands and watch how things are falling into place.

Obama the centrist!! That's funny. Examine the GE connections to the white house. The white first approves the new GE Comcast NBC merger. A 30 billon dollar deal. Then names General Electric CEO Jeff Immelt chairman of the new Council on Jobs and Competitiveness.

The machine is working overtime and Obama's SOTU speech should be a gem. Probably best watched with a glass of scotch in each hand.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Forgot to mention...

Where are the jobs that he promised in his last campaign??

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Businesses create jobs, not the POTUS. And, IMO, they hold America hostage by wanting more and more freedom, free money, subsidies, and less oversight.

When a "minimum wage" becomes an excuse to outsource jobs - and when that trend includes demands for subsidies or conciliations to actually create or bring back jobs???

Well, obviously, the problem isn't exactly a political one. It's that past administrations pandered too much to big business and now it is SOP for corporations to behave in the same manner North Korea does.

~Heff

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
if obama wants competive and a job creativity he should get congress in line and get them to get better funding for nasa.
Obama sets up a new nasa plan but the funding is falthering and funding for the heavy lift launch capability is not enought or not even there.
the usa is being put in its place by nations as china and russia they will be on the moon earlier than the usa and the usa might even lose its leadership on other science and technology places as well .. which leads to people not going into science , there for the usa will lose everything and will become from a 2nd world nation in stead of being a 1nd world super power nation.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
And what has the GOP done to create jobs in the US?

Did their little "reading the constitution" stunt create jobs in the US?

Is this Repeal the Job Killing Health Care Law going to create jobs in the US?

Is repealing the 14th Amendment creating jobs in the US?

What exactly are the Republicans doing that is creating any jobs in the US?

After all, last year they got their tax cut extensions for the rich, which they said was the reason that companies weren't hiring. Where are the jobs GOP? Where are the jobs? You got your money, companies are posting record profits, but where are the jobs?

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I am still waiting for them 3 million shovel ready projects that where suppose to be in the u.s, or was that China

As another poster said how about doing the right thing for a change

top topics

join