It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aerial Drone to Hunt Life on Mars..how cool is that?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Stuffed

Okay now it's clear you misunderstood the purpose. It's a plane with a rocket engine that will ignite upon jetting out of the aeroshell and the wings open up. It's not taking off the ground and it's not multiple flight missions yet.

It's only meant (currently) to enter the atmosphere, start engines, and fly around 500MPH for a few hours before landing. In which time, they will gather a lot of useful data about the atmosphere and regions which are inaccessible to a ground based rover.

I read the article, I understand perfectly...
It's not accepted by NASA yet and I say It will not be..Hows that??
For one thing it goes too fast..
How could they properly remote control it with the delay involved?
It would be way past a target before they even saw it..
Just doesn't sound very feasable to me..

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Okay, first off I'll recommend visiting the ARES website.
marsairplane.larc.nasa.gov...

As for the atmosphere portion of your vehement ignorance on the subject, similar conditions on Earth can be achieved at 103,500 feet, which an ARES prototype has already been flight tested under back in September 19th, 2002

Also during this flight test, they tested, guess what? Autonomous control, flying a pre-programmed path. We know enough about Mars to map a proper flight path through the air, that much is certain, so there aren't going to be any major threats in the form of obstacles presenting themselves midair.

Here's some more pictures of the flight test in 2002 depicting what I'm trying to tell you is supposed to happen.

Drone has been sprung free, and the wing is beginning to unfold

Wing hinges support the stress on the wings

After wings are locked and parachute has been released, the plane AUTONOMOUSLY pulls up to match the Mach and Reynold's numbers of mars-like condition

Then it continues to follow autonomous flight paths, like a fixed level observing and banking turns

edit on 24-1-2011 by Stuffed because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-1-2011 by Stuffed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Reduced atmosphere = reduced drag, higher speed capability and requirements for conventional flight. The same reason planes designed to function at high altitudes have stability problems and a high stall speed at lower altitudes where our atmosphere is most dense.

The fact that it uses a parachute doesn't imply that it slows the craft down enough to "float" down slowly, that is what it seams you are thinking of. There is a type of parachute called a drogue parachute that is used on ejection seats and mars landers, it's basically a strong net that is used at high speeds to create drag and slow the vehicle down, this is not something new.

Autonomous = Flies itself along a pre-plotted path. There is no one actively controlling it in a conventional sense, it just flies a particular course through the martian atmosphere.

So we accelerate particles to near light speed here on Earth and your opinion is you don't think we can do something on mars we invented around a century ago?
edit on 24-1-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Stuffed

That was a damn good post my man...

thanks for that info..really cool...

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by chaakin
reply to post by baddmove

What they are admitting here that nobody realizes, is that mars HAS AN ATMOSPHERE!!! If an airplane can fly, humans can live there with no problem....

Jupiter has an atmosphere. Can humans live there too?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Stuffed

Ditto. Killer post.

Thanks for that!

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Stuffed

Good pics..
So what is it? The pic we are shown in th OP is of an artists impression and like I said, it wouldn't handle Mar's atmosphere..
The craft you just pictured has far bigger wings and thus MAY fly under the conditions..

So why is the article so missleading if these tests are real and done in 2002??
I have no idea....

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Is this thing really called the Aurora??
And whats the masking tape used for in this pic??

edit: Ohh and where is the jet engine to get it to 500mph.??
edit on 25-1-2011 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

I find nothing regarding this program pre 14th Jan 2010..
Odd if it was tested in 2002..
I also note NASA already has a ARES program running for a different project..
www.nasa.gov...

Not much on this whole project other than one website.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Aurora is the name of the company, Aurora Flight Sciences Corporation. At the time in 2002 when that picture was taken, they simply were going by the name MarsFlyer by Aurora. I think they now classify the entire project as ARES.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
This ARES sounds a lot like a guided bomb unit that the military has been using for a plethora of years.
Though the rocket booster wasn't nessasary for bombing missions...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I wish we could get more info on this project...

I was hoping to find some really cool pics by now, but,

alas....not much out there..

top topics

<< 1   >>

join