It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

So mercury is in vaccines huh? Exactly how toxic is mercury?

page: 1
3
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I would not like an opinion, rather a link to a reputable source saying exactly how toxic it is compared to other metals and substances. I've been searching google and can't find anything other than the simple "mercury is highly toxic". Thank you.
edit on 22-1-2011 by ericsnow because: (no reason given)




posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ericsnow
 



The toxic effects of mercury depend on its chemical form and the route of exposure. Methylmercury [CH3Hg] is the most toxic form. It affects the immune system, alters genetic and enzyme systems, and damages the nervous system, including coordination and the senses of touch, taste, and sight. Methylmercury is particularly damaging to developing embryos, which are five to ten times more sensitive than adults. Exposure to methylmercury is usually by ingestion, and it is absorbed more readily and excreted more slowly than other forms of mercury. Elemental mercury, Hg(0), the form released from broken thermometers, causes tremors, gingivitis, and excitability when vapors are inhaled over a long period of time. Although it is less toxic than methylmercury, elemental mercury may be found in higher concentrations in environments such as gold mine sites, where it has been used to extract gold. If elemental mercury is ingested, it is absorbed relatively slowly and may pass through the digestive system without causing damage. Ingestion of other common forms of mercury, such as the salt HgCl2, which damages the gastrointestinal tract and causes kidney failure, is unlikely from environmental sources.



posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Mercury and most of its compounds are extremely toxic and are generally handled with care; in cases of spills involving mercury (such as from certain thermometers or fluorescent light bulbs) specific cleaning procedures are used to avoid toxic exposure.


Come on, doing a tiny bit of research is really easy.

link to source

And, from a official government website. epa.gov
EPA



posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
www.drcranton.com...

read down the page....



posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Mercury + Neurons = no no




Mercury + Teeth = no

no






www.physicsforums.com...
edit on 22-1-2011 by seedofchucky because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
When I was a kid - way back when all therometers contained mercury I played with it. If my Mom broke a therometer she would put the mercury in a container such as a glass fruit cup and give it to me to play with. I was fascinated with the silver color, the way it would roll around in the cup and I would touch it to make it go in different directions. Little did we know then that mercury was considered toxic and I have read it can cause cancer. I have never had cancer but 2 of my cousins did get cancer and they use to play with it as I did. Of course something else might have caused their cancer. Perhaps typing in Mercury - the dangers of - might bring up some info.

I don't recommend anyone touch it or fool around with it in any way - it could be very dangerous, just telling my story.



posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
This thread reminds me of one from long ago asking essentially the same question. Just how dangerous is Mercury?

I cannot remember my exact response but I will try to share with you something along the lines of what I said there.

Yes, I am pretty sure mercury is very dangerous. However, I remember as a kid, taking those old mercury thermometers and breaking them. I used to love to play with the little ball of mercury and rolling it around in my hand.

Now, I don't know exactly how dangerous mercury is, but perhaps, my playing with it all those years ago is why I am sitting here wearing a tin foil hat, reading up on the latest conspiracies.

edit on 22-1-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy
 


My friend has a fruit jar full of mercury..16 oz..

i bet it weighs 10 pounds..it is really heavy..



posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
mercury is a liquid metal, do you really need any other information than that? I'm not sure if eating mercury is safer than eating zinc or copper or gold but why would you want to eat any kind of metal?



posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
True or false - Mercury is the most toxic non-radioactive metal known to man.



posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ericsnow
True or false - Mercury is the most toxic non-radioactive metal known to man.


true or false- is it good to crack open a thermometer and drink the mercury within? Is cyanide the most deadly poison known to man? Maybe not, but does it make it healthy?



posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Youve heard surely the phrase "MAD HATTER"...and "Mad as a hatter"? It relates to hat makers in the old days who worked with Mercury all day in production of hats and hat-rims.

Most went mad and insane from the toxicity. A very small amount can cause a elementary or high school to be momentarily evacuated because it is such a tiny thing with such a huge concentration, and hard to remove.

Very bad..........



posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Once that's stuff is in your body, it's going on a journey and you really do need it to reach your kidneys before your brain. If it reaches your brain first, then hopefully you are fully developed in which case your brain can't be damaged to the same extent as a young childs, but preferably the part that gets damaged is one that you can do without and not one that's going to leave you walking funny

edit on 22-1-2011 by jameshawkings because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove
 


A fruit jar full of mercury - some of us are amazed by it to say the least.



posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth
 


If they had Mercury hats we would probably be wearing one of those instead of tin foil - seems we play the same dangerous games.



posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy
 


Yeah, tomorrow I plan on running into traffic with a bunch of mercury powered cars


lol, but yeah. I did that alot... Used to piss my mom off. I would take perfectly good thermometers and break them. Funny, she cared more that I was breaking the thermometer than she did about me playing with mercury ( Note that they knew the dangers of it in the late 80's....)

Thanks mom!

edit on 22-1-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth
 


I hope she didn't take those broken therometers out of your allowance



posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia

Originally posted by ericsnow
True or false - Mercury is the most toxic non-radioactive metal known to man.


true or false- is it good to crack open a thermometer and drink the mercury within? Is cyanide the most deadly poison known to man? Maybe not, but does it make it healthy?


Jesus people I'm working on a blog for my website and need to know EXACTLY how toxic mercury WITH a reputable source. I got that true or false line from this website - www.toxicmercuryamalgam.com...

Please help me out.



posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ericsnow
 


It depends on what sort of toxic effect you're examining, and what the route of administration is. Traditionally, the term LD50 is used to describe toxicity (LD = lethal dose; LD50 = the dose that is lethal to 50% of experimental animals). So, when doctors/scientists are looking at "how toxic" something is, we usually look at the LD50 value first, since we can't quickly find out what long-term effects various concentrations have, due to the number of variables involved.

Here is the MSDS (material safety and data sheet) information on one of the more common forms of elemental mercury. Just use the 'search' function of your PDF viewer to look for the term LD50. It will show the LD50 values in rats (since we can't obviously test in humans), as well as the LD50 values for several routes of administration (oral, transdermal/skin).



posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ericsnow
 

Then do your own research, why do you want to plagiarize already copied material to make YOUR point? I dont even get the point of this comment...sad in my opinion



new topics

top topics



 
3
<<   2 >>

log in

join