It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

picking up radio noise through speakers alone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
hi,
this has puzzled me for a wile,

ive had a set of 4.1 speakers(creative labs)for 2 years.

once every couple of weeks i hear faint radio noise forign mostly,
through the speakers (ajusting volume makes no difference)

these speakers are connected to my pc BUT it only happends when my pc is switched off there is nothing else connected to them

please could someone explain,
thanx

p.s. i once heard that in the 1950's some houses used aluminium window frames ans occasionaly occupants could hear faint radio noise emmitting from their windows.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
picking up radio noise through speakers alone

hi,
this has puzzled me for a wile,

ive had a set of 4.1 speakers(creative labs)for 2 years.

once every couple of weeks i hear faint radio noise forign mostly,
through the speakers (ajusting volume makes no difference)

these speakers are connected to my pc BUT it only happends when my pc is switched off there is nothing else connected to them

please could someone explain,
thanx

p.s. i once heard that in the 1950's some houses used aluminium window frames ans occasionaly occupants could hear faint radio noise emmitting from their windows.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   
A wire inside the speakers might be reading radio waves in the air, acting as an antena.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   
An ordinary soundcard is capable of receiving radio in ~20Hz-44Khz frequencies.

The radio transmitted on those frequencies is usually drowned out by the 50hz or 60hz frequencies in your home power wiring. So, that is kinda strange.

edit:

Oops, I didn't read the part where you said the PC was powered down. I still think the same thing though, the speaker wire is picking up radio in the 20Hz-44Khz range.

[edit on 11-7-2004 by electric]

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I live next to the Gulf Freeway and I had a system back in the late 70's that I made, AM, FM, Turntable, remember those, anyway, the speakers used to produce loud sounds from the people, mostly truck drivers driving down the freeway while talking on their CB radios with the system off. As they would get within 200 or 300 yards while driving down the road the modulation (voice) due to the induced signal through my speakers would allow me to hear their conversations at about 10 or 14 decibels and it would increase at a rapid rate to about 30 or 40 or so decibels when the truck was closest to my house and then it would disipate at a constant rate til the truck was about 3 or 4 hundred yards down the road.

It has to do with the coil that surounds the magnet at the center of the speaker. It picks up the radio frenquency modulation (FM) or amplitude modulation (AM) which rides on top of or is a part of the carrier wave which is nothing more than electricty flowing through the air. The electric current is induced through the speaker coil changing the position of the coil to the magnet creating vibration and sound through the speaker cone via inductive current. In other words it is induced through the air instead of being induced through a DC carrier and AC modulation as would normally happen when listening to the radio.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Speaking of CB radios, I remember once living near a highway and we could occasionally hear or pick up interference on our tv as we could hear the truckers talking on our tv. We just got used to it but it was annoying to keep getting the interference.

E_T

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by TexasConspiracyNut
It picks up the radio frenquency modulation (FM) or amplitude modulation (AM) which rides on top of or is a part of the carrier wave which is nothing more than electricty flowing through the air.

Are you sure about those FM modulated "stations".
AM is very simple you need "only" low-pass filtering to separate data from carrier wave but FM is much more complicated.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I live extremely close to a radio tower and I have the same problem. On all the phones in the house and on all speakers (computer and otherwise) we hear different radio stations. This occurs from 7:00am to 7:00pm (central), or from the time the radio tower 'powers' on and to the time the radio tower 'powers' down.

It even affects my TV/Sat (I have dish network). From 7:00am to 7:00pm, horizontal scanlines are on the TV throughout that timeframe. If I want to watch a DVD or something, that's fine -- going through the DVD player, there are no horizontal scanlines even though the radio tower is 'powered' on. But if I want to watch dish from 7:00am to 7:00pm, it's scanline city.

DSL used to also be disrupted by the radio tower until BellSouth installed some hard-line filters on the outside line which usually prevents outages. Just wish Dish Network could do the same lol.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 07:50 AM
link   
No, I am not 100 sure about the FM. However it would stand to reason that the carrier wave of the FM signal would interfere with the speaker coil especially if the wattage output from the transmitter (carrier wave) were high enough, i.e.- a linear being used by a trucker going down the road while talking on his CB boosting power output past that which the FCC authorised as the maximum for that frenquency spectrum. This would IMO induce a current into the coil and then the modulation of the wave would cause the magnet at the center of the coil to move back and forth producing noise through the speaker.

I'm no expert. Like you said AM is easy to understand but the FM is much more difficult. I should have said IMO in the other post as well. I know FM voice bleed over can occurr from a frequency that is a hormonic or sub-hormonic of another frequency next to it bleeding over.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
thanx,

the radio signals i hear are defenatly AM.
strange how it only picks up foreign radio
and not any thing from uk where i live

new topics

top topics

join