It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama recalls Roe v. Wade, backs abortion rights

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Obama recalls Roe v. Wade, backs abortion rights

content.usatoday.com

President Obama echoed his support for abortion rights today, the 38th anniversary of the Supreme Court's pro-choice decision in Roe v. Wade.

"Government should not intrude on private family matters," Obama said in a statement, adding that he also supports policies to prevented "unintended pregnancies."

The president made his statement as thousands of abortion opponents planned annual March for Life rallies, with many hoping that the new Republican-run House will enact new restrictions on th
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Today marks the 38th anniversary of the historic Roe vs. Wade supreme court decision allowing women the right to choose.

One one hand I support woman's right to chose but on a personal level I don't think it is morally right. I don't agree that abortion should be used as birth control, yet I don't have any problem with the day after pill.

Im surprised this isn't all over ATS and if it has already been posted then disregard this thread...

content.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Abortion is murder. how many millions of children have been murdered for the sake of "convenience". Pregnancy has a known cause. If you do not want to get pregnant, don't have sex.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
I don't agree that abortion should be used as birth control, yet I don't have any problem with the day after pill.

That is a false dichotomy. Someone who supports women’s right to choose necessarily “agrees that abortion should be used as birth control”? In fact, I don’t know anyone that says that abortion “should be used as birth control.”

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by aptness

Then what is it's purpose?

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

"Government should not intrude on private family matters," Obama said in a statement, ...

Coming from Mr. Big Government .. this is a joke. His version of government has it intruding on all aspects of a persons life. 'It takes a village' mentality. Gov't deciding what people should eat or drink (Michelles anti-'junk' food kick). Nosey public schools. etc etc. He trots out the 'gov't shouldn't intrude on private family matters' when it is convenient. He cherry picks it.

allowing women the right to choose.

The folks that use this slogan are wrong. Pro life does not mean anti-choice. The pro-abortion folks claim it's anti-choice to be against abortion but that's simply not true. Most abortions are NOT for rape, but instead are used as a form of birth control. Women had a right to chose to get pregnant or not. They had a right to chose to have sex or not. They made their choice. Now they want to take away the right of another person to live. Women don't abort their own bodies .. they don't stop their own hearts from beating. They stop another heart .. another body ... another life. No one asks that baby who dies what their choice is .. life or death.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by aptness
I don’t know anyone that says that abortion “should be used as birth control.”

Most abortions are NOT for rape. It is not to control conception. It is to control birth.
"control' as in end the birth process. Therefore it is 'birth' control .. not conception control.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

So would you like to outlaw sex or keep things how they are? Humans have sex whether you think they should or not, it's a hormone and survival instinct thing.

Im not condoning physical abortions when we have these pills for females to take, but to judge some one for having sex is lame imho.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

So would you like to outlaw sex or keep things how they are? Humans have sex whether you think they should or not, it's a hormone and survival instinct thing.

Im not condoning physical abortions when we have these pills for females to take, but to judge some one for having sex is lame imho.
LOL. No I don't want to outlaw sex. However, the consequences are there.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Abortion should be a case of Personal Choice, and Liberty. Strange how the "Land of the Free...", has so many problems in accepting people's rights to exert their freedom.
Maybe, instead of going half way around the word, to fight against "religious fundamentalists", American soldiers should stay at home, and fight for the "Liberties", and "Freedoms", they, erroneously, claim their citizens have.

Never thought I would back Barry Soetoro...guess their's always a first time for everything.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Go abortion! WOOT!

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Let's say, just for the sake of argument, that an abortion was not the murder of an innocent child.

If this is so, why does the father not get a vote? He will also be inconvenienced. He will either be forced to help raise the unwanted child or be forced to give over a significant portion of his income for a large part of his productive life. Why does he not get a vote on whether to abort? At a minimum, he should have the ability to opt out in case she decides not to abort. I mean fair is fair, right? Obviously the "child" is unimportant to you Libs. It is just a "choice" after all, so why does only one of the affected parties get the choice?

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by CerBeRus666

This.
Man people are so sensitive.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

"Government should not intrude on private family matters," Obama said in a statement, ...

Coming from Mr. Big Government .. this is a joke. His version of government has it intruding on all aspects of a persons life. 'It takes a village' mentality. Gov't deciding what people should eat or drink (Michelles anti-'junk' food kick). Nosey public schools. etc etc. He trots out the 'gov't shouldn't intrude on private family matters' when it is convenient. He cherry picks it.

I had to quote this entire paragraph of your post. The hypocrisy, which you perfectly pointed out, should not be ignored. Does mandating health insurance ring any bells? Cherry picking, indeed. I don't see how anyone could disagree with your logical response, regardless of their position on abortion.

Have a couple hundred stars (if only I had the power)! Great post! I'm glad you got it in on the first page of this thread.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I am sort of lonely in my views on abortion. I'm against it in a strictly philosophical way. I believe it's backwards as a society to kill anybody in our species. It is not because of my religion (I don't think the bible really mentions it) and it is not because I don't believe women should have rights. It is honestly because it is a backwards practice. Having said that, I have noticed that most of the people who are against abortions are the same people who are against helping out single mothers. The irony seems lost on those people.

I feel that, if you are to illegalize abortion, you also need to increase research into making better support structures for single parents and to get rid of all the horrid red tape for adoption (yet another social service turned business). My wife and I originally wanted to adopt but the hoops to jump were rediculous so we ended up just having one of our own. That's just stupid.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
How many people against abortion would actually be willing to adopt the child and thus "save it's life"? I would be willing to bet it would only be about 5%.

While I am not for abortion personally, I would never tell another human how to live their life. Is it murder? I'm not really sure. The only thing I'm sure about is that it is never my place to tell another soul what to do with their life, and then legislate against them because I feel it is the "moral" thing to do.

If abortion is truly wrong, which again I feel that it is, the parties involved in said abortion will feel regret at some point in their life. And all we can hope as kind people is at that point the parties involved will forgive themselves.
edit on 22-1-2011 by GeechQuestInfo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I have always felt it was between the people having and preforming abortions and there God, and none of my business.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

You are a guy - Your opinion is invalid in this matter.

It is between the Woman her Dr and God

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ..5..

You are a guy - Your opinion is invalid in this matter.

It is between the Woman her Dr and God

Yet as a guy, I would be forced to pay for her choice. The man should also get a choice if this thing is allowed to exist. If the mother does not want the child and the father does, why should she be allowed to murder his child? Why does one person get to over ride the lives of two other people? On the other hand, if the woman is the only one allowed to decide whether or not to murder the unborn child, and decides not to, how can you fairly and reasonably expect the man to pay for 20 years? Should he not get a vote? Should he not get a say in the next 20 years of his life?

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Using your own argument about the consequences of having sex, perhaps these men should make better choices about who they are having sex with.

It's happened to me, twice. I was/am bummed about it. I should have used safe sex, then this would never have happened.

Why would you force a woman to bear a child based on your irresponsibility?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join