It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two forms of world's 'newest' cat, the Sunda leopard!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

The "newest" cat species described to science, the Sunda clouded leopard, actually exists in two distinct forms, scientists have confirmed.

This big cat is so enigmatic that researchers only realised it was a new species - distinct from clouded leopards living elsewhere in Asia - in 2007. The first footage of the cat in the wild to made public was only released last year.

Now a genetic analysis has confirmed that the cat comes in two forms, one living in Sumatra, the other on Borneo.

Clouded leopards are the most elusive of all the big cats, which include lions, tigers, jaguars, snow leopards and normal spotted leopards.

news.bbc.co.uk...

www.savethecloudedleopards.org...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/66c49993da18.jpg[/atsimg]

www.bigcats.com...

The Sunda or the Clouded Leopard is the worlds newest big cat species but it has taken a few years of research to only now discover there are two types of this leopard, not one. This is pretty big news as the cats are found on Borneo and Sumatra and seem to have seperated into two subspecies.
With the more that is known about these animals hopefully the more can be done to preserve their habitat.

Just thought it was a nice thing, I hadn't heard of the Clouded Leopard until now.
edit on 22-1-2011 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Nice rich old white woman:Oh my clouded leopard, that must be the new 'In'
I want a coat shoes and purse made from it's skin.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Cool story,
I hadn't heard of the clouded leopard before either.
There are so many nooks and cranny's on this planet yet to be thoroughly explored.
New sub-species of a large cat found in 2007?
How many more large animals are out there that haven't been documented yet?

Very interesting indeed.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by reverandrandy

I certainly like to think there are many more larger species like this around that have yet to be documented. It's probably better that way too to be honest. It does give a bit of hope to the cryptozooligists out there as well, there is bound be some truth in the legends.

The good thing with this one is they found one species and it turns out to be two. We are learning all the time.

edit: also found another link, I'll add it to the OP too.
www.savethecloudedleopards.org...
edit on 22-1-2011 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Man, that is a lean machine!

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
nice post TY.

on the other hand:

WTF!!! we just discovered them, and they're already endangered?!?!?!!

edit on 22-1-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: spellcheck

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
What beautiful animals, so sleek and powerful amazing.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

No, they were already "discovered" long ago.

It's just that previously they were thought to be a single species. We know know they're two species.

And yes, they're endangered. That's the exotic fur industry combined with the ridiculousness that is Chinese "medicine."

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I bet it couldn't see for about 5 minutes after that flash went off. Probably still has spots in its eyes.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
thanks for the clarification:

That's the exotic fur industry combined with the ridiculousness that is Chinese "medicine."

wouldn't go so far as to say Chinese medicine is ridiculous, what you're referring to, I think is the aphrodisiac business, between their rhino horns and ground "nuts"

and of course certain creatures must have their rare furs...

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

No, they were already "discovered" long ago.

To be fair they were only found out about to science in 2007, that's not all that long ago when you think about it.
And since 2008 they have been listed as a vulnerable species. I would imagine illegal trade in their pelts and deforestation due to palm oil would be the largest threat to them as a species.

new topics

top topics

join