It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

International Community Expresses Concern Over Deadly Protests in Albania

page: 1
6

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

International Community Expresses Concern Over Deadly Protests in Albania


www.voanews.com

The United States and the European Union are among those appealing for calm in Albania, after at least three people were killed and dozens were injured in anti-government protests in the capital Tirana. Albania's Prime Minister Sali Berisha says he will not allow a similar overthrow of his government as in Tunisia, but the opposition has vowed more demonstrations.
(visit the link for the full news article)


Related News Links:
www.reuters.com
english.aljazeera.net
www.canadaviews.ca




posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
It seems around the Muslim world (Tunisia, Algeria, Palestinian territories, Jordan, and Lebanon) and portions of Europe (UK, Greece, Italy, Portugal, France, Belarus); central governments are being pressed hard by these mass demonstrations. Much of the protests are probably associated with the faltering economy instead of being political in origin. When things are good people tend to turn their heads the other way when it comes to government corruption and waste.

However, when they have no where to work, no money to put food on the table, and lose their homes; people tend to get angry and start pointing their finger at anyone of authority. It seems the world is on the verge of mass hysteria? These demonstrations are not isolated events, but global. The wildfire seems to be spreading. This year is still fresh, but it looks like it is going to be a rough one.

www.voanews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 22-1-2011 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakes51
Much of the protests are probably associated with the faltering economy instead of being political in origin.


And faltering economies are often caused by what, "good" politics, FOR the people and in the interest of the whole country?

This is becoming of a global trend with protests going on/off all over and I agree, EXCEPT in the USA where people would rather stay behind locked doors counting their guns 'n ammo and pointing fingers at the rest of the world where in actuality it is their government that has proved to be the biggest bully of them all and has even orchestrated many other countries governmental overthrows. Sure, every now and then we hear about some small protest or rally, but it doesn't happen on any reasonable scale considering there are over 300 million Americans.

I am sure that one day it will be too late for some and protesting will just be a shortcut to a world of pain or utterly pointless. Meanwhile, those with the guts to fight are changing the world on a daily basis. Good luck to them.

Thanks for the thread.
Here in France we have quite a few Albanians, it'll be interesting hearing their side of the story.
edit on 22/1/2011 by nerbot because: spellig mistale



posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51
 


Seems everyone's terrified of chaos.

S&F



posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
This commentary of national unrest has been around for a bit and looks like it is still just warming up. The political system looks to be the scapegoat while it is the international money system that I see as the real cause. Corruption in government does not help, but the massive debt and interest repayments are bleeding the system dry. The global financial collapse has not been really sorted out, a few band aids where applied but not enough to fix the cause and problems. Things got delayed for a while with emergency spending, but the hock of debt just went in deeper. The coffers and now getting dry and the fat man still wants his money for nothing.



posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Originally posted by Jakes51
Much of the protests are probably associated with the faltering economy instead of being political in origin.


And faltering economies are often caused by what, "good" politics, FOR the people and in the interest of the whole country?


I was just saying that I have not seen this much people becoming so uptight in my years on this earth. The only time I can recall most recently would have been tumult that took place after the First World War across Europe and Russia, the Depression, and maybe the Vietnam War era. There are probably others that I failed to mention. Still, we are witnessing people from all walks of life taking part in these protests, and there is quite a bit of fury in their actions. When times were more prosperous there was factions that would take part in this phenomenon, but the large bulk of the people were not involved to the degree they are now. I agree it wasn't "good politics," that got us here, but as long as the common folk had jobs, roofs over their head, and full bellies they could careless about politics. That is why I think these protests are largely economic in origin.


Originally posted by nerbot
This is becoming of a global trend with protests going on/off all over and I agree, EXCEPT in the USA where people would rather stay behind locked doors counting their guns 'n ammo and pointing fingers at the rest of the world where in actuality it is their government that has proved to be the biggest bully of them all and has even orchestrated many other countries governmental overthrows. Sure, every now and then we hear about some small protest or rally, but it doesn't happen on any reasonable scale considering there are over 300 million Americans.


I agree this thing is becoming global and many of these protests have turned violent. I am uncertain if the PTB have enough water, firemen, fire engines, and hoses to subdue this inferno if things continue to slide? We are seeing large scale protests in developed countries, Muslim countries who have seemingly remained passive and complacent against their leaders are taking to the streets in violent clashes, and more clashes in the Third World.

You bring up the US and I am kind of surprised that Americans are not taking a more proactive approach. The ill effects of the economy, and government corruption is running rampant there as in the other places mentioned in the OP. Perhaps, as long as sitcoms continuing air, professional athletes continue to take the field, flashy and charismatic political figures continue spewing their carefully crafted smoking mirrors to the masses, and GMO food is well stocked at the grocery store; the real reality remains out of sight and out of mind. It is puzzling to me as it is to you about what is going on in the US. Perhaps, the showmanship by the politicians is a little better than their counterparts in other countries racked with protests? As for the 300 million you mentioned, if even a fraction of that amount grows disgruntled, the world will definitely take notice.


Originally posted by nerbot
I am sure that one day it will be too late for some and protesting will just be a shortcut to a world of pain or utterly pointless. Meanwhile, those with the guts to fight are changing the world on a daily basis. Good luck to them.


Yes, there is always a time when any form of peaceful redress of grievances will be to late if apathy continues. As for the "world of pain," you mentioned, who will be inflicting it? Hopefully things simmer down some, before this situation is grows to epic proportions.


Originally posted by nerbot
Thanks for the thread.
Here in France we have quite a few Albanians, it'll be interesting hearing their side of the story.


I agree, any body from Albania or is Albanian who would be so kind as to analyze this situation for us would be greatly appreciated, and of course, very interesting.
edit on 22-1-2011 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by kwakakev
This commentary of national unrest has been around for a bit and looks like it is still just warming up. The political system looks to be the scapegoat while it is the international money system that I see as the real cause. Corruption in government does not help, but the massive debt and interest repayments are bleeding the system dry. The global financial collapse has not been really sorted out, a few band aids where applied but not enough to fix the cause and problems. Things got delayed for a while with emergency spending, but the hock of debt just went in deeper. The coffers and now getting dry and the fat man still wants his money for nothing.


I have to agree with you that these protests are economic in origin, and has become political. They don't know who to ask the questions to, but they want answers. Moreover, the politicians have been coddling industry by giving the bailouts and racking up the debt. Thus, making the noose even tighter around the people with higher taxes, loss of savings, devaluation of their hard earned money, price of necessities go up, and there are many other disparaging developments as well. When people feel that their situation is hopeless, things tend to get very dangerous. Society becomes a tinderbox, and all it takes is a little fuel to ignite the inferno.

I agree with you that the massive debts and interests payments of central governments train wreck waiting to happen. The global financial collapse has not been sorted, and all the intervention that took place was just some good old fashioned bubble gum and rubber bands to prop-up a system that seems doomed to fail. We have not seen the worst of it yet, and all we are seeing is a mad scramble to try anything and everything to stave off the inevitable.




top topics



 
6

log in

join